Coaches FHS vault, where to look

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gopuckgo

Coach
Proud Parent
Should the gymnast be looking at the springboard or vault table when running down the vault strip on a FHS vault? There have been mixed answers to this at our gym. Wondering what y'all think?

At our gym, there is a line about where they should take their last step... they look at that line, glance at the line on the springboard on their way to looking at the vault table. I know... not much help, lol... but that's what they do.

from beginning to end, vaulting has a 'horizontal/linear field of vision'. the athlete should see everything. this includes the board and table together. :)

from beginning to end, vaulting has a 'horizontal/linear field of vision'. the athlete should see everything. this includes the board and table together. :)

Excellent points above. Dunno does not need my cheers, but I do appreciate the concise rsvp. Cheers.

My opinion and what I coach: The above and - Point of focus changes during the vault. General broad vision during early run phase, clearer board/table focus during mid phase. Pre-contact focus depends on type of vault and experience/performance of athlete. WAG L7 HS point of focus moments before board is board/vault, pre-flight is hand placement anticipating the shoulder elevation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back