Parents Dd's level 8 Classic for the Cure Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Dd had a meet this past weekend. It was on Saturday, January 2nd and her report time was 2pm. It was a fairly small meet, there were 12 girls in her age group, which she was in the Level 8 Jr age group and she happened to be the oldest in the group. It took exactly an hour for us to get to the meet. Traffic was wonderful both ways - the NJ turnpike can get ya, but we were fortunate enough not to feel it's wrath! Let me just say that we had the Level 7 Sr girls in our session with all of the Level 8s, so we had 7 girls who were split into 2 different squads. There were 4 coaches, including HC. HC was mainly with the other squad, but she floated back and forth.

Her first event was floor. I thought she did a routine that has been pretty comparible to the other routines in the past 2 meets, but those judges found plenty wrong! Her floor score was 8.975 - I was like, oh great that's how this meet is gonna be! It will probably end up being her worst meet for the season. This meet last yr happened to be her second worst meet, second to only States - BLAH! Anyway, what can you do 8.975 it is what it is. Of course like I said before it's the first rotation - I turned to the other moms and said, I hate floor first. Maybe that routine would of scored better later in the meet! Maybe the Judges were still hungover from New Year's Eve. :eek: Well, not sure what was going on with the Judges but they were tough the entire meet. Dd's 8.975 held up for 1st place.

Onto vault. I can see the warm up and boy was I getting scared! I don't think she made any vaults during the warm up and she maybe went for 2 vaults. The girls did not like the vault table at all, they said it was very slippery and after the meet they also commented that the runway was slippery too. At the end of warm up HC came over to dd and her other L8 teammate (who was also having a vault warm up very similiar to dd's - bad that would be) and was like, get you act together - go down there and VAULT! Her first competition vault, she actually landed and took about 4/5 steps - I was happy with it, honestly, you hear me say hey she landed it! I was willing to take it... Her 2nd vault was much better, I think she took 1 step on the landing - maybe 2 tops! Her score 9.25. This was her highest score ever since she started doing the Yurchenko (pike). She was on cloud 9, maybe 10 - floating on air. Her 9.25 vault got her 1st place!!! Yeah baby, not a typo 1st place - again this is vault, I was waiting for lightning to strike me, but it never happened.

Going to bars. Bars were basically right near us, couldn't help but see everything. There were a couple of routines that I was willing to video and submit for scoring, it's a shame the Judges don't allow that! ;) Now it's her turn for real. Can I just say WOW, what a routine. Her high bar work was flawless, yes FLAWLESS! Every HS, was a perfect HS. It was the routine I knew she was capible of doing and boy did she rock the house. Now realize she took a step on her landing (which was funny because bars coach said if she misses out on 1st on bars by a tenth, he was going to kill her) and I am assuming her other deductions were in her pirouette. Her score was 9.7 - this is not a typo :D, this is not typical scoring in our neck of the woods! HC told dd that she wasn't given anything, she earned that score 100% on her own! This was 1st place. I actually taped awards and when it came time for bars, the announcer said that this was the highest score on bars out of any of the levels thus far in the meet. I also happened to catch the 2nd place score & it was 9.05, so huge drop after dd's score! Needless to say, she was very happy... what a great meet she had going here! She got hugs from bars coach and HC!

Last up beam! Beam quickly smacks reality back into you. My one goal for her was that she hit a beam routine, something she hasn't done thus far this season so this meet would be a good time to hit. She mounts does her 1st BHS in her series and it wasn't right. She didn't go for the 2nd. Instead she takes a couple of steps up and goes for her series again. Since 1st BHS was a step out, she had to go for the BHS step out - BHS 2 footed, perfect! Full turn, yeah she's still on the beam. Switch leap/split jump/ 2 footed BHS - yeah again, she's still on the beam. All that's left is the FHS. She does it, wobbles and starts to fall, she goes below beam, but doesn't touch the ground. Fights hard and gets back up, she might as well went down I'm sure it was .5 deduction. Turns does dismount, RO- layout, takes step on landing. Oh well, not a perfect meet, but close. Her score was 8.9. Maybe a little generous in scoring, but it makes up for the low floor scoring. ;) I was assuming that it wouldn't even place or maybe take the last placement. When they started to announce the placements for beam during award, when I heard 1st place I could help but start to laugh. 1st place was 8.95. Dd took 2nd place with a fall, crazy huh! Even she couldn't believe it.

Her AA was 36.825 which was 1st place. Dd's total level 8 team consisted of 4 girls, but with just the 4 they were able to take 1st place as a team. Chellsie Memmel was there and she handed out the AA around awards, which was really cool for the girls. The team got Chellsie to sign the team award and dd also had Chellsie sign her AA award. 1st place AA got a breast cancer pink ribbon designed trophy and everyone else got nice medals.

As for mom here, I got to use my gymstat app on my ipod touch (my Christmas present) which was exciting for me and much easier than writing down scores. I still have to put together the video, but once I do, I'll let you all know!

Thanks for listening, hope you enjoyed - next meet is the weekend of 1/15, still don't know meet information yet (hoping we get that real soon!)

Happy New Year all....

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is a fabulous meet and a fab meet report too. You had me holding my breath in parts!!! THat is going to be one awersome meet video to see. She must be feeling so proud of her hard work all around. Nice to see that the scoring was consitent even though it was low in places. I always like consistency as it's clear that they know why they are deducting!

Great job!

Wow! I cannot wait to see the video! What a meet!! So proud of her. She showed them all her stuff! Even on beam, I am glad she didn't fall even if the deduction wasn't the same, psychologically, she still stayed ON the beam. Love that she went for stuff after her 1st series didn't work out. You can tell she was fighting the whole meet through.

Congrats to her!! What a great meet! I am sure she is still on cloud 9. This is going to be her season! Looking forward to the video.

And I always love your meet reports, I feel like I was there. :)

Dang--after reading that I was hoping for video LOL! Can't wait for it--sounds like she did awesome!!

Well the results posted on the meet website, so I was able to see what all the scores looked like and I can say that the judges were very stingy with giving out 9s for the level 8s. There was 1 on floor, low 9.2 (dd's teammate got that one); 2 on vault (dd had 1 and the other was same score in a different age division 9.25); 3 9s on bars, including dd, the other 2 were lower 9s and 2 9s on beam both 9.1s. So overall the judging was pretty tight, but it's hard to brace yourself when the first event, which is usually one of her best and she has scored mid-9s in both previous meets. Luckily, dd had more composure than me (ha-ha :p!)

Now that is a fabulous meet and a fab meet report too. You had me holding my breath in parts!!! THat is going to be one awersome meet video to see. She must be feeling so proud of her hard work all around. Nice to see that the scoring was consitent even though it was low in places. I always like consistency as it's clear that they know why they are deducting!

Great job!

I think you are right, the girls are just so programmed to not fall off the beam. I do love her fighting spirit! And as for the the 1st series stuff, to me that definitely shows me she is maturing. She knew not to go for the 2nd part and regain her composure and do her 2nd series. She trains boths series equally, so she has a comfort level with both of them.

Glad you like my reports, I just write what's in my mind, I still feel like I'm there when I write it! :p

Wow! I cannot wait to see the video! What a meet!! So proud of her. She showed them all her stuff! Even on beam, I am glad she didn't fall even if the deduction wasn't the same, psychologically, she still stayed ON the beam. Love that she went for stuff after her 1st series didn't work out. You can tell she was fighting the whole meet through.

Congrats to her!! What a great meet! I am sure she is still on cloud 9. This is going to be her season! Looking forward to the video.

And I always love your meet reports, I feel like I was there. :)

It's coming, I promise! I didn't get home until late after the meet because we watched the 9s and 10s. Then yesterday I had my FIL's birthday celebration - so we can actually blame him! ;) I'll try to get to it tonight!

Dang--after reading that I was hoping for video LOL! Can't wait for it--sounds like she did awesome!!

What a great meet! Loved your meet report....I found my heart race when you got to beam! Congrats to your dd! Can't wait to watch the vid!!!

I really love the play-by-play you give. It really makes it easy to visualize what she was doing. I feel like I was there!

What meet is she doing next week? We're traveling to Boston for the Brestyan's Invitational. Not looking forward to the 5-6 hour ride but it will be fun.

Can't comment too much right now...on my way out to where else but gym practice....That has to be YOUR best report ever, your combo of details, wit and humor make me feel like I am sitting next to you!! I am so estatic that your DD had the meet of her life...we are jumpinmg for joy over here. My only regret is I am not a part of that gym or meet anymore (sigh), I would have loved to have seen you & those routines in person! If anyone could ROCK that meet...I am so glad it was your daughter! I feel like a proud mom here... WTG!!!.

9.7 Bars???? HOLY CR&P! That is said in the nicest way possible! I know how you and DD have felt about bars! What an amazing accomplishment.

What a great 2nd year L8 season she is having. I hope Beetle can do the same!

Cant wait for the videos...

Fantabulous! That is for her meet performance AND your story telling ability! I was at the edge of my seat, but I was careful not to peek ahead:). It was a great meet and I am so excited for you all! We can't wait to see the video. It sounds like she rocked the house!

Brilliant. Very well written report. You have a talent there. Keep them coming.

Her next meet is a biggie, it's the Maryland Classic. The competition will be much tighter I'm sure as it is a much bigger meet than the one she was just in.

Good luck to your dd at Brestyan's! :D

I really love the play-by-play you give. It really makes it easy to visualize what she was doing. I feel like I was there!

What meet is she doing next week? We're traveling to Boston for the Brestyan's Invitational. Not looking forward to the 5-6 hour ride but it will be fun.

Wow, got to watch the video. What great bars! and the rest too.

We will be at MD Classic, but on Monday. Good luck to your DD there!

Has the schedule for the MD Classic posted? Last I checked, I still didn't see anything. I would love to know when dd will be competing and if I have to stay the night or not.

Wow, got to watch the video. What great bars! and the rest too.

We will be at MD Classic, but on Monday. Good luck to your DD there!

Thanks for the exciting meet report! She rocked that meet Can't wait to see the video!

Maryland Classic

For Level 8's -

Sunday, January 17th
session 9 level 8 8-10 and 12 year olds
session 10 level 8 11 and 13 year olds
session 11 level 8 14, 15, and 16 and up
session 12 FINALS (Level 9 & 10)

They are working on the exact times and hope to have them today. First session of the day (Session 9) will begin at 8:00 am with 7:30 am registration.

Hope that helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back