standing dive rolls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi -- I'm trying to figure out a better way to teach my beginner girls how to do standing dive rolls. I've tried a few different techniques: explaining the mechanics, demonstrating, using towels/pillowcases for them to dive over, etc., but truthfully watching them do the skill is painful even for me and they're the ones bouncing on their backs and landing on their heads. If anyone has any ideas for drills or a better way to explain a standing dive roll that has worked for you I'd be very grateful for some advice! Thanks, Angie.

Man I love dive rolls...have you tried spotting them? Maybe have them do it on a tramp too. If I were you I would tell them not to make it so much like a forward roll but to jump up like you are diving into a pool! I used to do the whole skid on your back and get a massive wedgie thing...not fun...I would just tell them to act like they are diving into a pool...they could practice into a pit if you have one!

I don't think I'd necessarily spot a dive roll; there is way too much risk of getting in the way and INCREASING the chance of injury.

our coaches never taught the gymnasts a standing dive roll, but did teach dive rolls.

He would have them run then jump into a roll on to mats. They eventually got stronger and stronger, then he added an obstacle for them to jump over - this all took 3 months or so. They were rough for a while, but have gotten better, now they all dive roll on the floor - still not perfect but they are all getting a little better everyday. (dive rolls seem difficult to spot).

Doing jump to handstands is also a great drill for diverolls, it helps to increase arm strength and shoulder strength, while the althletes get used to taking more impact on their hands,arms,etc... then you can do punch handstand, run punch handstand and start adding more height, then you have your diveroll! Have fun!!

Last edited:
I love dive rolls!!!! We used to run and dive through a really big hula hoop into the pit. Its so much fun!!! Mum could never watch it though :p

Try having them do it up onto a stack of mats, then add the obstacle for them to go over. You could also, as someone else mentioned, try them on/off the tramp or off a spring board. I-Heart-Beam---I always loved going through hoops too! Dive forward rolls are a blast, so I really hope they're able to figure it out. Sometimes, it's just a mental block when it comes to figuring out a skill.

duh

I don't think I'd necessarily spot a dive roll; there is way too much risk of getting in the way and INCREASING the chance of injury.

Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing...dumb typing!! Thanks for putting that correction there GT! I was talking to my friend about spots and I guess I got confused and typed what I was thinking about saying...duh me! Thanks for correcting me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to take pit blocks out and build a wall for them to dive roll over. We build it out one turn & up the next. After we've built it to where it's not safe to dive roll over anymore we go straight through the middle of the wall! The girls love it. Off course we put a huge mat behind it, I think it's 16 inches thick.?.?
I always spot beginners on standing dive rolls. I saw a girl knock out her 2 front teeth with her knees. She was a beginner & was doing them off a springboard with another coach. I spot by standing on the left of the gymnast then with my left hand i guide her legs over by pressing against her shins. I put my right hand behind her head to make sure she tucks it in. We go from the floor onto a big mat. Her head may land on may arm a little but I guide her up to stand by grabbing the back of her right shoulder. Hope that makes since. Good luck!

I used to do the whole "skidding on your butt/landing on your head" type thing to. The tip that helped me out the most was simply to squeeze my butt. Problem eliminated... at least the skidding on the bum. :p

Drills I did though...

1. Doing them over a pool noodle. Helps you learn to jump up and over.

2. Stacking mats, putting a cheese mat on top, and then jumping up and rolling.

3. Doing them on trampoline.

Hope I helped. :)

great suggestions

Thanks everybody -- there were a lot of awesome ideas!! I'll definitlely be trying out your advice. Angela.

For beginners, I put them up high (vault table) and have them dive roll onto a pit mat (a couple feet down from table). I always make them jump the same way:

Stand up tall with your arms up...bend your knees...bend over...jump and roll.

I always spot them as some kids tend to jump on their heads. I used to spot rae rae this way when she was younger.

we usually use a large wedge with our beginners. Mark an X on the floor for the punch and roll down the mat. As they progress, add mats underneath for height and start moving the x back. Also using octagon mats that they can dive over can work. Be sure to mat behind it until the skill is safe for them!

I also have them do punch drills onto stacked matts to get the big punch needed for height!
Good luck!

I always tell the girls that the only difference between a jump handstand fall to their back like their L4 vault and a dive roll is the fact that in a dive roll you roll out of the handstand and in a vault you push off your hands to your back. Though this isn't technically correct, it gets them to drive their heels, and the closer they get to handstand, the less likely they are to fall on their head.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back