Width of Hotshots and Pixie grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Can anyone measure how wide their DDs Hotshots size 00 or Pixie grips size 00 are at the narrowest part below the dowel? My DD has Bailie Narrow Dowels size 00 and she just isn't liking them. I saw an old teammates grips and they were very skinny (but I couldn't measure them). I think it might help her if it is not so wide across her hand. She says she doesn't like that she can't feel the bar.

Anyway, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If anyone has the Reisport Just Right size XS, the width on that would be great, too.

My daughter has the pixie grips, but is at camp with them. She loves them. Her had is long but very narrow. I bought her one pair and they did not fit right. American Gymnasts has some videos on their website that talks about picking the right grip and whose is the best for what fit.
Gymnastics Grips
There are tons of videos and advice on there. Even list the most narrow grips. Hope that helps.

They taper from about 1 1/2 inches below the dowel to 1 3/8 inches at the wristband. These are the only grips my older daughter will use...she started out with the Baille ones as a L5 and didn't like them. We end up needing to replace the Hotshots ones about every 3 months though...not a very long lifespan for a grip!

We've always used the grips below for our littlest gymnasts and have never had a problem. Some of the little one's had the hot shot grips but the built in wrist band just didn't work. I've had some little level 6/7's use these as well, but they do need to be replaced about once every 5-6 months, and even more often once the girls start giants. But for Abby they should make it through a season. I do remember that this company has 2 different kinds of leather they use. I recommend the stiffer leather, the looser leather had a tendancey to cause the girls to peel and my girls just never felt safe in them.

The Just Right Too Grip by Gibson
$34.00​
Now by poplar demand the Just Right Too! Constructed with the same narrower cut
as the original Just Right, Gibson as designed our newest grip with a velcro closure.
The grip is sewn from high quality leather and has a stitched and glued dowel.
Size Available (measure from base of palm to tip of longest finger): XX-Small (00) -
up to 5-1/2", X-Small (0) 5-1/2 to 6", Small (1) 6 to 6-1/2", Medium (2) 6-1/2 to​
7-1/4", and Large (3) 7-1/4" up

Hot Shot Grips

My daughter has always used Hot Shot grips since she began wearing grips as she says she "likes to be able to feel the bar around the grip"...she is a Level 10 and she still swears by:) them....I tried other grips ...she thought the Gibson and Reisports were "like boxing gloves" so I sent them back...same thing with English bulldogs.

If your daughter likes to be able to feel the bar around the palm of the grip, the hot shot is definitely the grip.

[QUOTE=4nsmom;120655] We end up needing to replace the Hotshots ones about every 3 months though...not a very long lifespan for a grip![/QUOTE]

After she got to Level 8 , I began to fax a tracing of her hand to the Grip company (US Glove) and they would make the palm of the grip out of a thicker leather (but for the Hot Shot Model) so I do not replace her grips very often at all. As a level 10, she swings a ton of bars and I would say i don't replace the grips more than once a year or even more...

<<After she got to Level 8 , I began to fax a tracing of her hand to the Grip company (US Glove) and they would make the palm of the grip out of a thicker leather (but for the Hot Shot Model) so I do not replace her grips very often at all. As a level 10, she swings a ton of bars and I would say i don't replace the grips more than once a year or even more... >>

Do you send the tracing so they will custom cut them? It's a great idea, although I am not sure my daughter would go for the thicker leather because she actually likes how thin/soft they are, even though they stretch/wear/tear more easily.

Oddly enough, the reason we replace them frequently is that the stitching usually starts to rip/wear at the wrist. Did your daughter ever have that problem? She is the only one at her gym that goes through grips this quickly. She does use water on them so I'm not sure if that may be why. She is currently training level 9....

I've had the problem with the stitching at the wrist and it's because of how I grab the bar, I think. I usually kind of push the grip up to the heel of my hand then I adjust it once I start swinging...hard to explain. But that's not a problem with all grips because some don't have stitching there, some have metal bracket things.

So funny, my DD just got new grips last week. She was in the Hot Shots OO size since last May but had HUGE growth spurt and came home with a size 1! I have them here in her grip bag, measuring right under the stitching of the dowel they are a tad wider than 1 1/2 inches...where they are on the bars (I can tell because that is where they are broken in the most) is a tad wider than 1 1/4 inches.

They taper from about 1 1/2 inches below the dowel to 1 3/8 inches at the wristband. These are the only grips my older daughter will use...she started out with the Baille ones as a L5 and didn't like them. We end up needing to replace the Hotshots ones about every 3 months though...not a very long lifespan for a grip!

I just measured her Bailie Narrows and they measure about the same, 1 7/8th below the dowel to 1 3/8" at the wristband. I wonder if it will be any different with the Hot Shots? Doesn't seem like they are that much narrower. :confused:

Forgot to add my daughter LOVES these grips! She had the buckels first but gym gave her the velcro ones now and she really likes them so far. She was the only one with buckel (that's what old gym suggested) and the velro makes it much easier to get on and off. Since day one my DD has always loved working bars with her grips!

[QUOTE=4nsmom;120655] We end up needing to replace the Hotshots ones about every 3 months though...not a very long lifespan for a grip!

After she got to Level 8 , I began to fax a tracing of her hand to the Grip company (US Glove) and they would make the palm of the grip out of a thicker leather (but for the Hot Shot Model) so I do not replace her grips very often at all. As a level 10, she swings a ton of bars and I would say i don't replace the grips more than once a year or even more...[/QUOTE]

yes, yes, & yes! US Glove the grip of choice. hot shot grips are the best on the market. this is our preferred company, they have regular and 'elite' leather. he will also custom make what you need. i would not steer any of you wrong.:) this includes our boys also.

<<After she got to Level 8 , I began to fax a tracing of her hand to the Grip company (US Glove) and they would make the palm of the grip out of a thicker leather (but for the Hot Shot Model) so I do not replace her grips very often at all. As a level 10, she swings a ton of bars and I would say i don't replace the grips more than once a year or even more... >>

Do you send the tracing so they will custom cut them? It's a great idea, although I am not sure my daughter would go for the thicker leather because she actually likes how thin/soft they are, even though they stretch/wear/tear more easily.

I do send the tracing so that they will custom cut them..as Dunno has posted US Glove is a great company to work with for grips...we got into the custom cut because when she got to level 8 and I was replacing them more frequently, THEY called ME and asked what was going on and then I talked to someone else who suggested sending the tracing and making the grip out of the thicker leather and after that, I only replace them yearly or even longer...I would recommend them in a heartbeat.:)

The Milennium are very similar to the Hot Shot and I think that's the name they give them when the size is greater than 0.

Her friend gave her an old pair of size 00 Hot Shot grips and she thinks she likes them. I heard you shouldn't use others grips, but is that because they could be the wrong size? Anyway, she is going to try them at gym and see how they feel. She tried them on her bar (but it is too slippery) and said she likes that it feels like she doesn't have grips on.

Here are pics of her original pair, the Hot Shots and then her hanging from her bar with the Hot Shots on. I am not sure the difference really matters, but she thinks so. Now to decide on keeping the old pair and using them and then having her try her Bailies again, or just buying her a new pair of Hot Shots...

mariposa-albums-my-girls-picture3112-bailies-narrow-size-00.jpg

mariposa-albums-my-girls-picture3111-hot-shots-size-00-used-pair-friend.jpg

mariposa-albums-my-girls-picture3113-hot-shots-hanging-bar.jpg

Our coaches never let us use other's grips because of something that happened at our gym when one girl used another girl's grips (without the coach's knowledge). I won't write all the details, but suffice to say that because the grips were not formed to her hands, she slipped, and it ended with a trip to the ER and 37 stiches in her mouth. I can say what happened if anyone wants to read it, but I thought I'd leave it out for now.

I had read not to use others grips because if they were the wrong size it could cause problems, but these are the right size.

Can anyone confirm that this is a definite no-no?

The second pair is a better fit. It's hard to say whether they're safe to use from a picture. I would have the coaches look at them, they should evaluate it. I would look them over for wear, look at them on her, and have her try them carefully just hanging from the bar. It's not something I would say is never okay in any circumstances, but I would be cautious about it.

The first ones are too wide at the top where the fingers are. I'm surprised they're that wide actually, compared to the base. It looks like pretty much a standard size on top but just with a narrower base, which is definitely what I would expect from a grip that it supposed to be cut narrow. But either way there shouldn't be that much space next to the holes, so I'm just confused. My grips don't have that much material. Weird. They also look a bit too long but it could be how her hand is positioned in the picture.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back