Booster Clubs and fundraisers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok our Boosters are looking for a great fundraiser that will take in more than $300 at a time. It's hard to put so much effort into these things to only come away with $300 profit.

So what fundraisers have you done that bring in at least $1000. :confused:

Scrip is basically when you can order giftcards or shop at a certain store, and you get a small percentage back. For example, I can get a Target giftcard and I think that the percentage back is like 2%. Also, along the same line, some grocery stores around here (Kroger, for one) have a program where you link your shoppers card number to your organization and get a percentage that you spend back. Our gym has also done Butterbraids, Pizza kits, made calendars, cookbooks etc. Some of our better fundraisers have been a bit bigger. We did a reverse raffle last year that did really well. Also, we have a yearly golf outing that does really well. Those require a lot more work and planning as you can imagine. Anyway, that is what has or has been working for our gym.

Scrip is a program that registered non-profits can participate in. We buy gift cards (or sell them to family members, friends, neighbors) and for each gift card we sell there is a percent rebate that ranges anywhere from 2% (Wawa, Walmart, Target) to 15-16% (Lands End, L.L. Bean). Many national retailers and restaurant chains and groceries participate...too many to list. If you can get families to faithfully use these for their monthly purchases of groceries, gas and dinner out it is a VERY easy , no effort fundraiser. Nothing to buy, only what you normally would buy anyway!!!

Sounds to good to be true. Do you have a link?

LOL!!! I thought the same thing at 1st! It really is a great fund raiser! Many churches and other gyms in our area have used it for years with no problems! The bulk distribution center purchases very large quantities of gift cards at a big discount and they in turn pass on some of that discount to us...

Fundraisers that make $1000 or so.........golf tournament and selling butter braids(once in fall and once in spring). Also used leo sales---done 2 x/year have easily brought in $1000. Scrips is nice and it is easy, but overall we haven't seen a large amount of money coming in each quarter from it.

Scrip.. our gym made over 5,000.00 in December alone from Scrip sales. However, you do have to be non-profit and we have over 150 people buying every single week. It is a lot of work and IMO only worth it if you have really large numbers.We do it year round

Put on a meet. Even a small compulsory meet can easily make a $1000 if you can use your own facility.

Thanks for the suggestions. We can't put a meet on as the parking just isn't there for a meet (maybe 30-40 spaces in the lot) and the road the gym is on just doesn't allow for on street parking at all. its more like a highway. So it's dangerous.

We had a sleepover at the gym for both rec and team kids and raised over $1,000. If your gym will let you use the gym for that and you can get some parents to volunteer to spend the night, it's a good fundraiser. We also did a "jump-a-thon" where we got kids to get pledges for each sit-up, push-up, trampoline jump they could do in two minutes. We raised over $4,000. That might be only a once a year deal, but it worked great for our booster.

Scrip.. our gym made over 5,000.00 in December alone from Scrip sales. However, you do have to be non-profit and we have over 150 people buying every single week. It is a lot of work and IMO only worth it if you have really large numbers.We do it year round

Totally agree on that ...we did the Scrip Program with a small but dedicated group (15-20) and averaged 300 a month in profit in the good months but after Christmas I found the volume really dropped off. If you could get your group into a mind set of using the Scrips for the every day lives (i.e CVS,Stop and Shop, restaurants you frequent) then it is much more profitable. Especially with the travel we did, a lot of the parents bought cards for restaurants likely to be used and most of the restaurants had a 9 to 12 percent return rate so that was pretty decent; Marriott hotels had a 12 percent rate I believe and then there was American Airlines and Budget rent a car for the far away meets!!

[/B]

Totally agree on that ...we did the Scrip Program with a small but dedicated group (15-20) and averaged 300 a month in profit in the good months but after Christmas I found the volume really dropped off. If you could get your group into a mind set of using the Scrips for the every day lives (i.e CVS,Stop and Shop, restaurants you frequent) then it is much more profitable. Especially with the travel we did, a lot of the parents bought cards for restaurants likely to be used and most of the restaurants had a 9 to 12 percent return rate so that was pretty decent; Marriott hotels had a 12 percent rate I believe and then there was American Airlines and Budget rent a car for the far away meets!!

Can someone please send me the link for the scrip program?? Thanks

A little late, but what about a 5k? I know of a few organizations/programs that have used that as a fundraiser in the recent past. I imagine the biggest hurdle would be finding a place to map out the race, depending on how easy the city/town is to work with about those kinds of things, but depending on the resources in your area you might be able to use a school, park, or fairgrounds to help out with that.
I recently participated in one to benefit the local Humane Society and they started at the local fairgrounds, had volunteers map out the course, local businesses donate drinks/snacks for before and after (bagels, coffee, water), and also some coupons from local places to put into a goody bag for participants. They also had t-shirts made, an extra cost but maybe an extra incentive to get people to participate. Get the word out and charge $10-$15 for registration. It would be a lot of work, but maybe not too bad if you had a group of willing parents to put forth the effort.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back