deductions for coaches being on the floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know what the deduction is for a coach being on the floor during a level 6 routine? What about if the coach actually does spot while being on the floor...is there an additional deduction for that? We are in Pennsylvania...I don't know if that makes a difference or not:confused:..thanks for your help!!

no deduction for coach on the floor.

As far as the coach spotting, it depends. If it is a landing only, it's .5.

If it's for an element, value of the element +.5

hold on a second...are you speaking of being on the competitive floor as in the venue? if so, no deduction. we have no where else to stand.:)

are you speaking about a coach stepping on to the floor excercise mat? during a routine and after the music has begun?? no...you can't do that. that is a deduction. then, if the coach touches/spots the athlete it's yet another deduction.

doesn't matter what state or country you're in.:) usag and fig rules that is...

hold on folks...i'm getting a clarification...

level 7 & up is a deduction for stepping on the floor and another for spotting and loss of the element. UNLESS the kids glasses fell off and it's saftey related.

level 4,5,6 NO deduction. if spotted .5 and you lose the element as if you never did it.

sorry...my mind is always wrapped around what coaches should do...not what they shouldn't.:)

I had a back tuck fear where i would do the back tuck but only with my coach standing 2-3 feet away, i competed this way through my level 6 season and we made sure there was no deduction for a coach standing on the floor. It is the same premisis as the coach standing by the vault or beam as the gymnast attempts thier backwalkover or vault, it is a safety measure and if they are allowed to do this on bars, beam, and vault why should it not be allowed on floor? We researched it and a coach can stand on the floor. In older rules this would have been a 1.0 deduction immediately for touching the apparatus but seeing that it is unfair to the other events as the coach would not jumped onto the beam to spot, it is allowed.

I'm pretty sure that it's a deduction to be on the floor mat starting in optionals but it's ok in level 6 and below; my old coach researched this for a level 7 who was afraid of her layout. I could be wrong though. Regardless, spotting is a deduction if the coach touches the gymnast.

level 4,5,6 NO deduction. if spotted .5 and you lose the element as if you never did it.

So then wouldn't it make more sense to just not do an element than to do it with a spot? Or are there other rules one would be breaking by doing that?

So then wouldn't it make more sense to just not do an element than to do it with a spot? Or are there other rules one would be breaking by doing that?

Actually, it would...and our gym has done that...this year we had several level 5 girls that were having difficulty with the two backhandsprings. Instead of having a spot for them second one, they just did one BHS and took the deduction for not having a second. That way, there was no deduction for the spot..just a deduction for missing an element...

Actually, it would...and our gym has done that...this year we had several level 5 girls that were having difficulty with the two backhandsprings. Instead of having a spot for them second one, they just did one BHS and took the deduction for not having a second. That way, there was no deduction for the spot..just a deduction for missing an element...

Didn't somebody a while back say that there could also be deductions for form breaks in the spotted skill as well as the .5 for the spot and the value of the skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back