Parents Not sure what to do about gym/coaching issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Krystan

Proud Parent
Sorry for the long post, but if you have time I could use input from those who know their way around a gym!

Dd started gymnastics just over a year ago at the ripe old age of 9. I had always known she'd be good, but she had a pronounced social anxiety problem and refused to take a class of any kind until that point. She moved up very quickly through the rec program and was on Prep Team by November. She competed in three meets this spring with a low-key league (GYFW, if you've heard of it) with the level 4 routine and did reasonably well. She is working on level 5 skills, has some of them, and will be training level 5 (Optional 1 in the GYFW league) this summer. At the risk of sounding like "one of those parents", here are my issues:

1. This gym has two "tracks", one for USAG, and the other for GYFW. The GYFW is more "for fun", they practice 2x weekly, have about 10 local meets a year which are fun and low-key. It is a good opportunity to stay involved for those not "cut out" for the USAG team. Also, it's cheaper! It seems to me that the USAG team is picked and tracked at a much younger age. Basically, if you are older than 7/8 when you are prep-team level, you are tracked to the GYFW path. My dd started late but is learning fast. She loves gymnastics and wants to get really good and competitive, but it seems like USAG is not a choice for her at this gym because she is "old" (at just turned 10!).

2. I am not super-happy with the coaching. I notice that they don't really drill new skills. They guide them through them (basically, spot), and hope they eventually get it. I haven't said anything because dd was doing well and having a super time. Our neighbors in the same gym/league have complained of similar problems. Almost as if, "since they're not USAG, let's not tax them too much." In the past couple of weeks, dd has started complaining that no one is really helping her get her kip. They spot her through it once or twice a practice, but they haven't done drills or really held her body through the motions to show her what it's supposed to feel like. She feels like they expect her to get it by "magic". One or two girls have their kip on-and-off, but they are muscling up. We had a similar experience with BHS. She has it, but she knows it's messy and no one is helping her "clean it up".

3. Dd is a perfectionist and likes to do things as perfectly as possible. She is very competitive as well. We homeschool, so this is her main competitive outlet (other than beating her brother at chess). On the other hand, she has anxiety issues and at times I feel like the low-key league could be better for her. If the coaching were more thorough and less frustrating, it might be okay.

So - am I being "one of those parents", or do I have a legitimate gripe here? I do feel like it's unfair that she doesn't have a shot at USAG because of her age, but even then we both feel she's not being challenged or helped along enough. We did stop by another gym closer to home the other day. They have a very good program that seems to focus more on perfecting skills before they move people up, and dd would probably do L4 again there, but it would be USAG. The coach said he had no problem with a 10 year old on level 4, or even 5 if she gets her skills over the summer, but he obviously wants to evaluate her, and I think we're going to go watch a practice to see what it's like.

Again, I don't want to be difficult and switching gyms after only a year, but I also feel like this is a crossroads. Once she goes to Optional 1 GYFW, I think it would be next to impossible to ever switch over to USAG. She isn't sure what she wants. She is afraid of change and making a wrong decision, but from what she is saying to me, it might be the way to go. I plan on talking to her coach (who is the owner) about this before we make a decision. They are a huge gym and I know won't have a problem filling her spot on the team. That said, once we give it up I'm sure it'll be gone. Any input is appreciated (if you've read this far). Thanks!

Hi Krystan! Welcome to CB!!! It sounds like your situation is very similar to mine in some respects. My dd started gymnastics at the age of 9 and she was put on the "rec league" as opposed to USAG. It's called the Mason Dixon League and I personally love it! It's low key with two practices a week (total of 10 hours) and about 6 meets a year. It is all optional with their own routines starting at Level A (equal to USAG 4) and goes up to Level E (USAG 8). My dd is now 12 and this will be her 4th year on that team. She has some fear issues (mainly with back tumbling and backwards releases off bars) so it has taken her a while to progress. She is hoping to make level C, but we will see how her tumbling goes this summer. They do work really hard in practices but, it is definitely not as intense as USAG. Personally, I think my dd would probably "break down" a lot more if she was on USAG, so I am very grateful for the lax training at times. Her coach is very good with spotting and giving the kids drills, so that I am also grateful for. My dd is also very involved in ballet (which she LOVES) and would not be able to do both if she was in USAG (just not enough time).

In your situation, I would maybe hang in there a little more, just to see how things go. Maybe the training and drill will pick up after a while. Also talking to the coach and owner is a good idea--let them know what your concerns are and let them know that your dd is willing to work a little harder. Good luck and keep us posted!!

I agree w/MdGymMom... you need to have a discussion w/your DD's coach first. Maybe her coaches just don't know that she is wanting a more strict and structured program? Then discuss w/your DD the higher "expectations" of USAG team. There will be more hours, stricture requirements, etc. as she moves up levels. If she wants that and it is offered, then go for it!!

My own DD has done both both programs.... was USAG L4, 5, 6 and trained for 7 before being sidelines by HUGE fear issues. She did Prep Optional for 1 year and overcame her fears. She then went back and had a successful L7 season and is now training for L8... but I have to tell you, she doesn't have much time for anything else besides schoolwork. It's a trade-off, like everything else in life!

Hi
I notice you are in MA and I also live in MA, though I've never heard of GYFW. My daughter started gymnastics in Prep Opt at age 8 (coming from rec classes) and switched to Level 5 at age 10. She competed Level 6 at 11 and is now Level 7 and just turned 12.

So, it is possible as long as your gym gives you support.

If you don't want USAG, Prep Op is a huge program in MA and many gyms (ours included) really have terrific prep opt programs.

I think you should check out other gyms because if your gym feels your daughter is 'too old' and she is certainly old enough to get that they aren't helping her learn, then it's worth looking around.

While the majority of girls at our gym start USAG at a younger age, they are very willing to have 'older' girls on the team.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm happy to give you some names of good gyms in our area if you'd like.

It sounds like your DD is really interested in having more intense training and having the opportunity to do USAG, so I'd say tell her current coaches that and if they aren't interested in having her on their USAG team then try the other gym.

Oh I so wish we had something like that! My dd has anxiety issues and would probably thrive in a non USAG program right now. I can see your issues with the coaches. Let us know what you decide!

give it another year. and i'm trying to reconcile how you would know about/recognize that "they don't drill new skills". do you know what that means or what you're saying? or did you hear that from other parents in your same group??

Dunno, I'm certainly no expert, but I do have eyes and can see what's going on. I will use the kip as an example. The USAG team of the same level will be set up with different stations, practicing the different "stages" of the skill. Straight arm jumps to bar, glide swing, arm exercises pulling weight (band) down with straight arms, etc, just to give you an idea of what I mean by "drills" (maybe that's not the correct technical term, I'm doing my best here). The coach will also guide their bodies through the skill, stopping at key points, showing them what it's supposed to feel like. In dd's team, they do not do that, but are still working on their kip. They are spotted through it (coach helps push legs up to bar), but are not given a lot of guidance. Again, I am not claiming to be an expert, but the difference is pronounced. It wouldn't really bother me so much if dd was not then saying that she's not even sure what it's supposed to feel like. She only knew her arms are supposed to be straight because a teammate told her. I obviously don't see everything (I don't stay to watch every practice), but once dd mentioned it, I tried to pay a little more attention. She gets a little stressed when she doesn't know *what* she should be working on to improve, not just in this but in all skills.

This is just an example. The coaches are wonderful people and are great with the kids. It just seems to me that this team is so relaxed, and "at your own pace", that maybe they are forgetting some that want a little push. And no, dunno, I didn't "hear it from other parents". I don't really know many other parents - I honestly hate getting wrapped up in parent-talk and would never complain about the coaches/gym in the gym itself. I have a lot of respect for them and honestly just want to make sure it's a good fit for my daughter.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone by using the incorrect terminology. Maybe progression is a better word? Still learning...

simply, it sounds like your daughter is a beginner group that's in the very early stages of learning what a kip is. and this is normal for 1 year.

what you have described above sounds normal and usual. and i wasn't offended at all. just curious.

the other group sounds more advanced. they require more specific attention as they are closer to the end product. this is perfectly normal also.

and mentoring is also normal. the kids help one another.

in my program we have the competitive kids helping/coaching/mentoring children just like yours. it's a normal part of what we do.

Actually, they are both the same "level", just different leagues. They will both be learning the level 5 routine over the summer and competing with it next season, just one is USAG, the other GYFW. They both competed level 4 this past year, just different leagues. Both groups were almost identical at the beginning of last year, but with the more concentrated training, and with more hours, the USAG group will certainly pull ahead pretty quickly. Again, the kip thing wouldn't be a big deal to her if she didn't need to compete with it this coming year.

well, then they're both beginner groups. i didn't understand that from your first post. so can you explain why they're both beginner groups and compete in 2 separate named groups? is GYFW still USAG sanctioned competitions? have these kids been pidgeon holed somehow? assuming they have, can this daughter prove herself and still be moved to the other USAG group?? at any time???

Honestly at my dd's gym she would of been directed to the USAIGC group rather than the USAG group based solely on her age and she would never have a shot at USAG either. It's just how it works at my dd's gym also. Both leagues are independent of each other and although a USAG girl who is hurt and misses part of her USAG season might compete USAIGC since their season runs later than USAG, a USAIGC girl would never be allowed to compete USAG. Fair, probably doesn't sound it, but it is how it is at dd's girl. Just letting you know that your (OP's) gym is not the only gym that thinks like that. I doubt you will ever change their (coaches, powers to be) minds and if your child is set on USAG then you will most likely end up having to leave your current gym. I could be wrong.... JMHO.

Honestly at my dd's gym she would of been directed to the USAIGC group rather than the USAG group based solely on her age and she would never have a shot at USAG either. It's just how it works at my dd's gym also. Both leagues are independent of each other and although a USAG girl who is hurt and misses part of her USAG season might compete USAIGC since their season runs later than USAG, a USAIGC girl would never be allowed to compete USAG..

Yes, G. Smith, that's exactly what it's like where I am. GYFW is a local, low-key league not connected to USAG. They practice about half the hours, and meets are more for-fun, less competitive, and cheaper. The split is age-based, almost solely. If they are young (seems like younger than 8), they are put in the USAG track, and if they are older, they go in the GYFW track. That happens at the pre-team (learning L4 routine) level. There is no mobility between the two at all. That is why I'm concerned at this point in time, because at level 4 they are essentially the same, but starting at level 5, they have different requirements, etc, and it'll be harder to move her, even to another gym, I would think. Again, if she was happy with it, it wouldn't bother me. It is certainly easier/cheaper.

My DD also started gymnastics late but we really only have one track at our gym and it is USAG. We are also fortunate to be at a gym that allowed my DD to join team when she was almost 9. She competed level 5 last year as an 11 year old. We even had a 16 year old competing L5. If your DD is truly wanting to go USAG, then check out the other gyms. Hopefully you will find one that is as open minded as ours and will let your DD join USAG. Then if you realize that USAG is too much for her anxiety, you can then make a decision whether to keep her in USAG or switch her back to GYFW or Prep Op. Good luck with your decision!

BTW... what does GYFW stand for? Just curious!

that's hard for me to wrap my mind around. a short story...a 10 year old level 5 girl comes to us from a local ymca program to try out. she was gangli, an ectomorph and didn't know what conditioning was.

so my wife asked her to show us what she could do at floor. she told us that she had "just" learned an aerial cartwheel. or what some call a running no handed or free cartwheel.

so my wife says "okay, you can start with that". now i'm 100 feet away at bars. when all of a sudden i see this kid start sprinting down our tumbling strip. except her run looks like she had been hit with a taser. and then she attempts the aerial cartwheel that she stated she had "just" learned.

well...right to her face and knees. so i told my wife that if she is going to attempt that again then she'll have to take her to the other tumbling strip that goes in to a resi. so she does.

for 30 minutes, this 10 year old kid that wants to make my team, and prove to us that she could aerial cartwheel, keeps landing on her face and knees in to the resi. with the same run that looks as if she was a hit with a taser each and every attempt. i finally stop her. she's crying by now and insisting to my wife that she can do it. this 10 year old kid asks my wife to ask "the scary guy" if she could just do one more. i let her do 1 more.

she does it and lands on her feet. just plain ugly. the rest of her try out was unremarkable. kips to her stomach and such. but don't think i hadn't absorbed what took place at floor. we took her on the team at 10 and she repeated level 5 with us for the 3rd time.

this child grew up to have a couple of skills named after her. she's in the code. AND received a full athletic scholarship to a gymnastically noteworthy college.

i hope no further explanation is necessary as to how it relates to the topic being discussed.:)

that's hard for me to wrap my mind around. a short story...a 10 year old level 5 girl comes to us from a local ymca program to try out. she was gangli, an ectomorph and didn't know what conditioning was.

so my wife asked her to show us what she could do at floor. she told us that she had "just" learned an aerial cartwheel. or what some call a running no handed or free cartwheel.

so my wife says "okay, you can start with that". now i'm 100 feet away at bars. when all of a sudden i see this kid start sprinting down our tumbling strip. except her run looks like she had been hit with a taser. and then she attempts the aerial cartwheel that she stated she had "just" learned.

well...right to her face and knees. so i told my wife that if she is going to attempt that again then she'll have to take her to the other tumbling strip that goes in to a resi. so she does.

for 30 minutes, this 10 year old kid that wants to make my team, and prove to us that she could aerial cartwheel, keeps landing on her face and knees in to the resi. with the same run that looks as if she was a hit with a taser each and every attempt. i finally stop her. she's crying by now and insisting to my wife that she can do it. this 10 year old kid asks my wife to ask "the scary guy" if she could just do one more. i let her do 1 more.

she does it and lands on her feet. just plain ugly. the rest of her try out was unremarkable. kips to her stomach and such. but don't think i hadn't absorbed what took place at floor. we took her on the team at 10 and she repeated level 5 with us for the 3rd time.

this child grew up to have a couple of skills named after her. she's in the code. AND received a full athletic scholarship to a gymnastically noteworthy college.

i hope no further explanation is necessary as to how it relates to the topic being discussed.:)

If only all gyms were this open to letting the "older girls" join USAG!

LOVE this!!!

I'm just curious--I didn't read anywhere that you talked to the coaches about whether your daughter should try USAG or the more relaxed league? Our gym doesn't currently have a more relaxed league, but I can see where some gyms would automatically track older entering kids--or kids with not immediately obvious great form (and note I didn't say great skills) to a more relaxed league. If your daughter is interested in that, then talk to them about it.

But I do caution that USAG is typically more competitive and more stress. You mention your daughter has issues with that--do you think that would be a problem for her or the coaches?

My dd competed L4 at the ripe old age of 9 (4th grade), ANCIENT! There were a lot of young 6 and 7 year olds that competed with her that year. There were 14 of them. Now she just turned 14 and competed L8 last year. Of the 14 girls that competed L4 with her there are 3 left on the team. (the other two competed L7 last year and DD L8). A comment was made to me that my DD would not have been invited to team today. They now like to take them very young. Well, hello, most of the young ones quit and my "old" dd is still plugging along. Will my dd every be a superstar gymnast, probably not, but Level 9 in 9th grade isn't too shabby!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back