Parents Awards disaster at a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Brupta

WHat a disaster! We just went to a meet (Level 4) and the tallies/scores for the gymnasts who got awards were wrong. They showed our girls with "0.0" on floor, when actually we got 9.35, 9.25...some of the higher scores. Additionally, when a coach went up to correct a score/award, they actually took a medal away from one girl (she started crying, naturally). Don't these gyms have any common sense---if you have 1st-5th places, how hard is it to leave the kid w/an award and just give another one to the rightful owner. all of these girls are working so hard, and are still young (6,7,8 yrs.)....we should be encouraging them, not discouraging them!!:(

WHat a disaster! We just went to a meet (Level 4) and the tallies/scores for the gymnasts who got awards were wrong. They showed our girls with "0.0" on floor, when actually we got 9.35, 9.25...some of the higher scores. Additionally, when a coach went up to correct a score/award, they actually took a medal away from one girl (she started crying, naturally). Don't these gyms have any common sense---if you have 1st-5th places, how hard is it to leave the kid w/an award and just give another one to the rightful owner. all of these girls are working so hard, and are still young (6,7,8 yrs.)....we should be encouraging them, not discouraging them!!:(

I've seen that happen a couple of times. At our gym's meet it happened once that I know of when a little girl started crying. One of our gym owners took her aside and asked her to pick out whichever leotard she wanted from the booth where leos were being sold to make up for it. The leo company was compensated of course, and the girl was ecstatic to say the least. The mom was moved to tears and asked me the name of the guy (gym owner) who did that for her- I think she wanted to send a thank you note or something. You're right, that should never happen but sometimes it does and it's too bad that it has to be at the expense of a child who thought she won a medal. But, mistakes happen and hopefully someone will make sure everyone is happy at the end.

That sure is sad. It is good that they correct things, but they could have handled it differently. I am glad the girl got at least something out of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back