gym ripping us off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been in the same level for a a few good months and the prices are rising every month. I do the same amount of hours and less ppl have been showing up. only 4 girls in my class right now. overall girls have been quitting. Are these gym people ripping us off?
right now for 4 hours it costs almost 300. Isn't this a bit strange? Should i switch gyms?

That does sound high. I think my boys do 4 hours in rec for like 115 with a small discount.

Are you in a really ritzy area? I know Scottsdale is expensive but it kind of depends what gym prices are around there.

It depends what you are doing. 300 a month for 4 hours, is about $18.50 per hour. In a lot of area's $18-$20 is exactly what you would expect to pay for a 1 hour class for many specialized sports and activities. And if you have only 4 girls in your class, they will need to charge more to make enough to even cover the costs of the class.

It is a lot of money however, for a gymnastics club. Most clubs offer cheaper hours if you do more hours, so by the time you are doing 4 hours a week they usually have a cheaper rate, by the time you are doing 20 or more hours it is an even cheaper rate.

Its an insane amount of money for 4 hours/week and if you move to team, you see the fees go up. Then its not just the tuition, but also cost for team leo, warm ups and possibly meet and coaches fees. How much you would have to pay for meet/coach fees would depend on whether there is a booster/parent organization at the gym that does fund raisers to offset those costs.

It doesn't hurt to check other gyms nearby and see if any have a team program at lower prices. I read in one of your other posts that this $300/mo is causing a real burden to the family. I think you need to sit down with mom and dad and really talk out what they can afford for your gymnastics.

That seems like an awful lot of money for 4 hours a week. We paid $110 a month when my DD did 3 hours a week and pay $202 for 10 hours a week. We are in AZ, too, though not anywhere near Scottsdale. I would check surrounding gyms as well as that seems way too high.

I agree.. that seems like a LOT of money for what you're getting. We pay 325.00 per month for 17 hours/week. I'd definitely check out other gyms and see how they compare!

WOW!! that is alot!! we pay 360 for 20hrs a week. i wud consider moving gyms.

Now, we're a Y team so our fees are lower, but we've been told that our fees are going up in the fall, and if people quit because the fees go up (they'll be higer, per hour, than the private gym in town), then the fees will go up more, which may, in turn, cause more people to quit. A vicious cycle! Maybe that's what's happening at your gym?

things are bad all over. just hope this isn't their last ditch effort to prevent going under. the republicons and the demolitioncrats the banksters and the President better get it together soon.

That's alot for 4 hours a week. We pay $325 for a month with 18 hours a week. Of course that doesn't include the meet fees, leo fees etc. Just the class.

That IS alot. Plus this thread was started back in 2009. I wonder how much it has gone up since then? Our Level 10's don't pay that much!!

2009? Geez, where did this post come from?

That's funny. I did check the original post and indeed it was dated August 2009!! Someone just responded to it recently and brought it back up to the top of the thread list. Wonder how much she is paying now and if the gym is even still in business.

It seems like everyone in a while, we'll get new people on here (welcome newbies!)... but then tons of really old posts are brought back up again. Some are great, but some are really outdated too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News