Cracked Skin Under Big Toe--What to do??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jago

Proud Parent
What does a gymnast/gym mom do about skin cracks under the toes? There are several kids at my DD's gym with this problem. Ranging from a tiny a L4 girl all the way to a L10 girl. They have tried a variety of remedies.
Prescription burn cream even. A few moms have taken their DD to the doctor and the skin begins to heal but then the wound opens again. Never seems to completely heal. What could be the cause and does anyone have a remedy??

Thank you in advance for your replies!!!
:)

I had a terrible problem with this, my toe was always splitting when I was working turns on beam creating a pretty messy situation. Mine was caused by dry skin- it's pretty easy to develop when you are walking around in chalk, and made worse by the friction caused by turns. You can try treating it like rips- putting bag balm on at night and covering with a sock to moisturize the area. I've heard pumice stones can help to file down the calloused area, never tried that personally though. Or taping it up, but it's tough to figure out a way to keep the tape on for turns.
It's a pretty annoying problem, but I never found a magic cure. Good luck!

very timely. My dd has a small crack under one of her toes (not bleeding..just a crack). I've been having her put Neosporin on it, I'll have to try the bag balm

Sounds like athletes foot. My kids have all had it off and on. You just have to watch for it and keep using athletes foot cream. It's very catchy in the gym.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sounds like athletes foot. My kids have all had it off and on. You just have to watch for it and keep using athletes foot cream. It's very catchy in the gym.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cant say about the OP's dd, but I've seen Athlete's foot before...really don't think that that is what I'm dealing with. I think my dd's is from using the drysol on her feet. She had tried to put it between her toes (yeah, she's nutty) and I think that it dried out the one toe. But I will keep the Athlete's foot in mind in case it begins to look like something else.

I will pass along the advice dunno! Thanks!!

For the record, my DD hasn't been afflicted (yet)! Hoping to ward it off using some CB words of wisdom!
(Sure hope it isn't a fungus-yikes!)

crazy glue the toes together wont' work for mine. Her small crack is under the 4th toe right where it connects to ball of foot. But I'll have to try that cream if I can find it :). Hopefully now that she's learned her lesson about NOT putting the drysol Everywhere - the crack will heal up. Hope the OP never needs it ;)

Thank you flippin out! Me too!!

I've seen those girls feet and I want to cry just looking at them. :eek:

crazy glue the toes together wont' work for mine. Her small crack is under the 4th toe right where it connects to ball of foot. But I'll have to try that cream if I can find it :). Hopefully now that she's learned her lesson about NOT putting the drysol Everywhere - the crack will heal up. Hope the OP never needs it ;)

NO< NO<NO>YIKES! you don't crazy glue THE TOES together. LOL...YIKES! you crazy glue the crack and then TAPE THE 2 TOES TOGETHER. LOL!

the 4th toe is no different. i know exactly where it tears. i've seen it a hundred times. crazy glue the crack and then tape the 4th and 5th toes together.

at night, you still gotta wash your feet and put tinactin on it regardless. and good ole fashioned vaseline works great. and don't forget the socks while you're sleeping.:)

NO< NO<NO>YIKES! you don't crazy glue THE TOES together. LOL...YIKES! you crazy glue the crack and then TAPE THE 2 TOES TOGETHER. LOL!

the 4th toe is no different. i know exactly where it tears. i've seen it a hundred times. crazy glue the crack and then tape the 4th and 5th toes together.

at night, you still gotta wash your feet and put tinactin on it regardless. and good ole fashioned vaseline works great. and don't forget the socks while you're sleeping.:)

LOL - I must have been tired when I typed that. I knew you didn't mean to crazy glue the toes together, bahaha, just came out wrong. Thanks for setting me right though.

I didn't think crazy glue/taping to the next toe would work for where her crack is. I'll have to try that. Thanks Dunno!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back