Scholorhsips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnasticsbabie

so im really nervous that if i don't make it to nationals colleges aren't going to look at me! im a junior this year and people keep telling me its my most important year. please help me. is this true???

so im really nervous that if i don't make it to nationals colleges aren't going to look at me! im a junior this year and people keep telling me its my most important year. please help me. is this true???

I've heard junior year is your most important year. IDK how nationals affects your chances, but try your best cuz it sure couldn't hurt!! Good luck!!:)

Junior year is really the most important year because after that year is typically when colleges make their decisions on scholarships; however they do look at seniors as well. Making nationals will kind of help you get a little ahead, but it's still possible to get a scholarship without. I never made it to nationals and I walked onto a team with the opportunity to get a scholarship my sophmore year. Also, some coaches will try to get you an academic scholarship if they're really interested in you but have given away all of their scholarships for the year.

You may want to pick a few schools and get videos out. Lots of kids are already signing whether then went to JOs last year or not.

Waiting until Nationals is going to limit your choices. You may want to ask your coaches for some help.

Just because NCAA coaches don't chase you doesn't mean they don't have scholarships...you just need to put yourself out there.

don't wait too long!

don't worry im already talking to some coaches, and some are interested. but the auburn coach was like "see you at nationals!!" and i was like, well what if i don't make it there. are they just going to stop looking at me???

for example if i don't make it to nationals and another girl does make it to nationals, and im better than her, will they take the girl who made it to nationals or will they take me!? im so stressed about this.

don't worry im already talking to some coaches, and some are interested. but the auburn coach was like "see you at nationals!!" and i was like, well what if i don't make it there. are they just going to stop looking at me???

for example if i don't make it to nationals and another girl does make it to nationals, and im better than her, will they take the girl who made it to nationals or will they take me!? im so stressed about this.

Hey Drama Queen,

"See you at Nationals" means "good luck". Just don't stop talking to them assuming not making it to JOs is the end of the world.

Hey Drama Queen,

"See you at Nationals" means "good luck". Just don't stop talking to them assuming not making it to JOs is the end of the world.

lol thanks for calling me a drama queen, i feel so much better now...
sike, but seriously,i i know im stressing a little too much about this but i just feel like everyone (including myself) will be disappointed if i don't get a scholarship. im stressing that the coaches that are talking to me won't even bother to look at me if i don't make it to nationals. is it possible to get a scholarship without making it?

There is a meet held in the late spring by Orlando Metro(pretty sure of that) for L10s that don't make it nationals. Many college coaches come to this meet to check out girls they may not have seen or heard about. Keep this meet in mind too. A L10 at our old gym did not make it JO Nationals last year(her jr. yr. in hs) and attended this meet. She did well enough to be offered 2 scholarships. Has signed her letter of intent and will be on a full ride gym scholarship in the fall.

really!? thats really good! assuming they were good schools (D1 because only D1 can give scholarships) that makes me feel like 10 times better. do you know what college scouts go to those meets? i'll ask my coach about it tomorrow! :)

thanks sooo so so much

While your junior year is an important year for colleges to be scouting you, don't be nervous. I had an "OK" junior season, and did not make it to nationals... however, I was still receiving emails and offers from college coaches. Coaches don't always base their scholarship offers on whether or not you make nationals... they base their decisions on your gymnastics as a whole - that's why you send videos of various meets and practices. Not only are they looking for talented gymnasts, but they are looking for dedicated and motivated students as well.

I think Gym Law Mom is referring to the "college bound" invitational. Here's a blurb from their website on WHO can attend:

5. Athlete Profile - who can register for the 2008 College Bound Invitational?
50 slots reserved for alternates from each Region in Junior B & C, Senior A, B, C, and D. These alternates must register and pay for their participation in the College Bound Invitational by a cut-off date that will be designated on December 15th
150+ registration slots will be open for:
2007 Level 10 JO National Qualifiers
Level 10's who have qualified to their 2007 State Championship
Level 9's who qualify to their 2007 Eastern / Western National Championship

LOTS of college coaches from all over the US attend this meet!

Also sometimes a gymnast may have a weak event so won't place high enough in the AA at regionals to make nationals, but maybe have 2 or 3 GREAT events and be recruited for those, since sometimes college teams are looking to fill their weak event in the lineup and if you fit the bill for that you'll get recruited.

really!? thats really good! assuming they were good schools (D1 because only D1 can give scholarships) that makes me feel like 10 times better. do you know what college scouts go to those meets? i'll ask my coach about it tomorrow! :)

thanks sooo so so much

I was talking to a gymnast at a division 2 school who said that she was on scholarship. She said they have scholarships, but not as many per year as D1 schools.

I know this is slightly off topic but what do you guys mean about D1 and D2? I'm from Canada and almost completely unaware of the NCAA system. What schools are included in the different divisions?

The schools are in three different divisions. Schools that make it to NCAA championships in gymnastics are almost always division 1 schools. The division 2 school I've seen meets at also goes to a national championship for gymnastics, but it's a different name (not NCAA). I don't know if it's affiliated with the NCAA or completely separate.

If you go to ncaa.org you can find a list of all the schools with women’s gymnastics programs. You can also get to other sports lists of schools by division.

Yes, it is true that your junior year is the most important year.

No, you don't have to make Nationals to get a scholarship.

A local girl named Avery Gee was a Level 9 and received a partial scholarship to Cal, and is doing really well, not only starting as a freshman, but competing three events.

My dd only made it to Regionals once, and still received full-ride offers (as well as some partial and walk-on offers) to some respectable Division I programs. She is going to go Division II because she liked the coach and school, and because she prefers competing over sitting on the bench. How did she do it? She put together a really good DVD that showcased her skills. If you have E skills and/or 10.0 college start values, you are going to get scholarship offers, even if you don't make it past State.

i'm a senior this year. last time i did USAG was in middle school. i did TOPS and went to national camp when i was 9. when i was 12/7th grade i qualified for nationals after going to level 10 when i was 11/6th grade. after all that i couldn't move to a gym with a pre-elite program, did a year of meh high school gymnastics and stopped. i actually started cheerleading. my coach was sending out some of my tumbling videos to cheer coaches in our region. she sent one to the USU coach who didn't think i'd be a good fit for their cheer squad (i'm Deaf and their squad was really cheer/dance/music oriented and not tumbling oriented) but showed the video to their gymnastics coach. i've been in contact w/ them since and been back in the gym training. my specialty was floor, followed by vault. the coaches are really interested in me competing for the team and hope that after training this year i'll hopefully be able to compete level 10 one last time in the spring and go out and train w/ the team and compete by soph year at the latest. b/c of being Deaf i'm eligible for other scholarships and financial aid, but maybe later on, i could be eligible for athletic scholarships. i know my experience is REALLY rare, but, don't freak out! there's always some option out there. i never thought i'd be able to do gymnastics again, but here i am, having a shot to compete in college. just keep trying and talking to all the coaches out there (DI-DIII) and don't give up if you don't get a full ride athletic scholarship (there's always other financial aid and scholarships available if u need them).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

edit- oh and i second what the poster above me said. i still have E level skills in tumbling, which caught the coaches attention even w/ no USAG experience in high school yet. so what they said is def. true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't touch recruiting issues and so don't see this as me pointing you at any school or anything but just to clarify because it came up, there are six division 2 schools in addition to all of the division 1 schools. Division 2 schools do have scholarships just fewer than division 1 schools. The only schools without scholarships are Division 3 schools.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back