Front Handspring Front Tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nevertooold

I have a gymnast, teenage level 7, not the fastest but strong enough, good form and technique.
She tumbles well on the trak, average on the floor. FHSFT on the trak is huge, she responds well to the slower bounce of the trak. On the floor she can FHS rebound tight and tall and moving forward about 2+ ft. off the floor. FHSFT on the floor is all over the place, over rotates, stands it up, deep squat, on her butt, but can usually stand up several at any given practice or warm-up. As soon as her floor music comes on she forgets the timing of the skill and tries to tuck before finishing the FHS. At first she was just rushing it but recently she literally looked like she was tucking BEFORE she even landed the FHS, barely missing her head and back and managed to flip to her butt somehow.

She is very frustrated.

Any suggestions for drills to help this type of situation would be appreciated.

this is all to common. you can't believe how many kids have the same problem once the music is engaged. all you can do is keep practicing on the hard floor. over and over again. if safety is a concern use a 4" mat.:)

Hmm. I'd maybe try replacing it with a FHS bounder/flyspring for awhile.

*I know that's tough to do if required for level 7 at your gym is FHS tuck to compete.

Thanks. We will try just upping her numbers and see where that gets us. Last night she did 20 FHS, 20 FT, 20 FHSFT on hard floor w/ sting mat. Tomorrow I'm thinking, 10 FHS, 10 FT, 10 FHSFT, 5 FHSFT w/ music.

80 reps last night if i'm reading that right? ^^^ 5 fhft w/music should be sufficient.

Well, 60 by my count but 20 were only FHS. Personally I would not do that many landings (40) on hard floor regularly, although I suppose this was just one day. also prefer most tumbling when transitioning from TT to be on a 4" mat. I was warned (again by the person you know...so much knowledge :)) that one of the major contributors to injuries is transitioning from the TT to hard floor without any intermediary surfaces because they don't get the same landing and takeoff cues on TT (i.e. they can land and bounce without absorbing, etc). And if they were doing it on TT for a time they just need to build up to landing on floor again. That was just my understanding anyway. I have even my lowest levels on a rough interpretation of the three week in season training model he recommended (week 1: tumbling on easiest surface plus some kind of endurance - routines, etc with easy tumbling, week 2: transition tumbling - rod floor, floor with good mats, again endurance routines, week 3 or week leading up to meet: full routines).

You can also place mats on the TT to make the surface more intermediary.

80 reps last night if i'm reading that right? ^^^ 5 fhft w/music should be sufficient.

5-10 is what she has been doing but has 2 meets in a row now almost jumped on her head. The last one literally looked like she was trying to do a front front vault on the floor.

60 total last night, 20 regular front handsprings, 20 front tucks and 20 fhsft, with what we call the bouncy mats (the old foam that looks like little colored bits glued together, thick and spongey and bouncing. we inherited these and I wish I knew where to buy some more, sort of like sting mats but bouncier if that makes sense.)

Well, 60 by my count but 20 were only FHS. Personally I would not do that many landings (40) on hard floor regularly, although I suppose this was just one day. also prefer most tumbling when transitioning from TT to be on a 4" mat. I was warned (again by the person you know...so much knowledge :)) that one of the major contributors to injuries is transitioning from the TT to hard floor without any intermediary surfaces because they don't get the same landing and takeoff cues on TT (i.e. they can land and bounce without absorbing, etc). And if they were doing it on TT for a time they just need to build up to landing on floor again. That was just my understanding anyway. I have even my lowest levels on a rough interpretation of the three week in season training model he recommended (week 1: tumbling on easiest surface plus some kind of endurance - routines, etc with easy tumbling, week 2: transition tumbling - rod floor, floor with good mats, again endurance routines, week 3 or week leading up to meet: full routines).

You can also place mats on the TT to make the surface more intermediary.

I would not do this many regularly either, figured to reduce at each practice, BUT we compete again in less than 2 weeks. I cannot watch her do the freaky one again, and she is an older teen, healthy, no injuries, wants to do the skill, and has earned and deserves some autonomy in choosing to keep with the skill; so just trying to give her the best possible chance of figuring out the timing in a way she can remember and replicate during competition.

She has done this skill easily on trak for at least a year, and on floor since summer. She just gets cuckoo at a meet :(

AHhhh...that tells me something different. try using a sting mat on the floor at the competition. and be sure to practice that way in the gym along with how many steps and where to place the mat. i'll bet that'll get her over the hump.:)

If she tends to rush when nervous and could be damaging her knees and ankles by repeating poor landings on the regular floor, you might consider switching the pass out for the season until she is more comfortable with it. I do a front tuck-flyspring for my level 7 front pass. It was necessary to save my knees...I was doing high repetitions of front handspring fronts, but it was just so inconsistent with nerves and such that I was going to hurt something before I got it right, even though mine were also good on the tumble trak.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back