What are the main skills your pre-schoolers work on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbabisMom

Parent/Coach
My little preschool class has shrunk away for the summer, but my older preschool class is going strong. We've been working really hard on handstands and cartwheels lately. Everyone is really coming along. I have 2 in my thursday and 1 in my monday class that get thier pullup pullover every time now.
We're also working on using the spring board for vault but I seem to be having a problem teaching the arm swing. I've been working on run, punch the board, and stand on top of the stacked matts, but so far I only have a couple who actually use the arms and finish up with thier arms up. I've had the whole class watch it done properly, and had them do step, jump with armswing drills,(which some don't seem to get really either) but even then they aren't getting it. I'm not getting something right. Anyone have any suggestions? What other drills can I work on with them?

I'm not so sure, but I remember having it drilled into us how important the arm circle is.

gymbabisMom said:
pullup pullover .

do you know that since my niece has started her new gym, that i've seen her do this!

i NEVER saw her do this at the other place! i don't know what the heck they were teaching them!

gracefulone said:
I take it you are satisified with your new gym!:)

oh yes! LOL

and the best thing about this gym is that they dont compete level 3 or 4! they start at level 5....and we have to drive at least 3 hrs for every competition...so.......yeah for us! saves on money!

PLUS..we don't run into anyone from our 'other' gym for at least 2 years! lol and yes they've called beggin us to go back! lol

Ok this is not helpful with arms but if anyone is having trouble getting footing on a springboard right you can use carpet tiles and foam numbers. On the floor before the springoard you put lets say a blue carpet tile and a blue number one next to it. On the springboard a yellow carpet tile and a yellow number 2 and on the vault a green tile and a green number 4. It helps the kids actually visualize what they should be doing and they can understand when they go wrong. It's as easy as 1, 2, 4 :)

Congratz on your new gym auntiedina glad you like it and your niece is progressing well.

gym_princess said:
Congratz on your new gym auntiedina glad you like it and your niece is progressing well.

thanks so much gym_princess!

you and graceful are so sweet!
:)

gym_princess said:
Ok this is not helpful with arms but if anyone is having trouble getting footing on a springboard right you can use carpet tiles and foam numbers. On the floor before the springoard you put lets say a blue carpet tile and a blue number one next to it. On the springboard a yellow carpet tile and a yellow number 2 and on the vault a green tile and a green number 4. It helps the kids actually visualize what they should be doing and they can understand when they go wrong. It's as easy as 1, 2, 4 :)

I remember somthing similar to that......lol

I'm not a coach but my 4.5 yr old is having some trouble with the arm swing issue too. They are trying to teach it but I wonder if it is just hard for kids this age to get it? She just recently got over the habit of jumping repeatedly on the vault board like it was a tramp.

She's in a class with mostly older girls and on bars they have learned pullovers, back hip circles and are working on shoot through and front hip circles now. On beam, they are working on their round off dismounts and turns. It's funny to watch them all try the turns and leaps. On floor, they are working on back walkovers and front and back limbers. Lily is close to getting her front limber and can do a back limber and a backbend and kickover but hasn't gotten her back walkover yet. They are also working on the lead up to back handsprings - i.e. roundoff and jump back onto a soft mat and on front handsprings over the barrel and on the tramp. It's been great fun watching this summer as she learns new skills and seeing how excited she gets when she realizes that she really can do some skill by herself. :)

^^It's definetiely fun to watch the progressions. Glad to hear she's improving.

How old are they? My pre-schoolers are doing front rolls everywhere... bars, beam, floor, squat on vault roll into port-a-pit...

I would cry if one of my pre-schoolers did a pullover!

How old are they? My pre-schoolers are doing front rolls everywhere... bars, beam, floor, squat on vault roll into port-a-pit...

I would cry if one of my pre-schoolers did a pullover!

Aww :) DD did a hanging pullover on the big bars a little after starting rec. Bars are her absolute favorite! She's 5 going into Kindergarten this fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back