WAG What Makes Your Gym Great, or Not

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm interested in the things that make parents and gymnasts feel really good about their gym. What is the difference between a gym/coach that makes you want to shout from the rooftops rather than slink home and wonder if you are in an unhealthy place.

For me, as a parent who has had five children competing in gymnastics since 1992, (yikes I'm old....LOL)
I've seen a few different gyms, quite a few different coaches, and I've seen the sport go from where a 9.0 on any event usually placed first, to the present where girls are fighting for 9.8s at Level 4!

But some things remain constant for me:

I want my children quality coaching that is technically correct from the start. BTDT with the skills learned wrong and struggling to unlearn the mistakes.

I want my children to be challenged to do THEIR best, not to be limited by what the coach thinks is "good enough". For the time and effort put into the sport, I think it's not fun to go to meets and come in last.

And I want the coaches to know my children personally, to care about them, and to have a plan for their development, regardless of their level.

What things are deal breakers for other parents? What about gymnasts? Do you want to have fun or train seriously and can both of those be done at the same time? And coaches, what kind of programs do you run and why?

Great things about my gym: there is a real family atmosphere. I feel like my coaches care about me as a person, not just about my scores and my gymnastics. They have let me stay in the most competitive track when many gyms would have shipped me off to something else just because of my age, or because of that combined with not much talent. Additionally, I am very close to the other girls especially considering the age differences and I love them very much.

Not so great: one of the coaches is spectacular, but one mostly just pays attention to the top 2 or 3 gymnasts, and the third (just out of college, pretty good with the compulsories) basically just stands around and watches when she coaches optionals. I think we need to train "smarter not harder" because we have very high hours (which I enjoy) but the level 8s and up are plagued with injuries. I understand a certain amount of injury is to be expected, but it seems a little excessive. Recently they have brought in a physical therapist to talk to everyone and try to stop stress injuries before they blossom, but my friend says he doesn't seem very competent (I haven't talked to him).

What things are deal breakers for other parents? What about gymnasts? Do you want to have fun or train seriously and can both of those be done at the same time? And coaches, what kind of programs do you run and why?

A deal breaker for me would be a coach who didn't see my child as an individual kid, but as a score or a means to an end. Our HC said something the other day about all coaches should have kids, so they realize that these kids they are working with are people's children. Now of course that's not possible, not everyone can have kids or even wants them, but the point is she treats the kids how she would want her children treated. A coach who loves gymnastics and knows their sport is a necessity, but one who is only around kids in the gym can be one dimensional.

As for the training, I want it to be fun and have her learn. She's 5. If it's not fun, she's not going to want to do it. I know their are some young kids who train crazy hard, and maybe for them it is fun, but not for most little ones. When my DD leaves the gym happy, worked out, proud of what she learned, and asking when her next class is, I'm happy. :)

I don't have anything negative to say about my daughter's gym. They have done an exceptional job with her, have always treated our family respectfully, and seem genuinely interested in my daughter as a whole person.

I think what I like best about my daughter's gym is that her coach seems to share my philosophy about goal setting and career plans. I understand from my reading here and from chatting with coaches and some parents that there is a continuum of gymnastics parenting, from crazy gym parent to laissez faire gym parent. I am neither and I feel like I am at the same place in the continuum as my daughter's coach is.

I love that they meet with gymnast and parent twice a year to review where they were, voice what their long term and short terms goals are, and then plot a path to get her from point A to B while making sure to keep point C in view. One meeting is for overall gymnastics career and the other meeting is specifically to address competition season. I think it's a simply lovely approach.

I love the practice of meeting with gymnasts and their parents, to set goals and go over things. I think that sort of honest communication could prevent so much of the speculation and rumor mill stuff that goes on.

At some gyms parents are just expected to pay and keep quiet, and ideally not watch practice. Because my dds have overlapping practice times I have been at the gym more than I planned to be. But I have seen things at practice that other parents have no idea are happening.

I think it is a naive assumption to think that because everyone pays the same money, they will receive the same coaching. I don't think that is too much to ask. But I know that many parents would be shocked if they watched how little coaching their child is getting.

My disclaimer: I realize not all gyms operate with same standards. So if you have a good situation, be thankful. If you don't, make a Plan B. In case you need it.

Great: My gym has the family feel, my coach is a great coach, and we have a phenomenal boys program
Not so great: The girls aren't very competitive so we always score middle of the pack, everyone always has some type of injury, sometimes i feel that my coach isn't strict enough (I came here from a gym where my coach would make corrections by yelling and i guess i respond well to that lol), and recently alot of the girls on team have quit due to the economy so instead of huge optional team we had before we have a teeny tiny one now

Even though there are some negatives I am grateful that i even get the chance to do a sport that i really love.

What makes my gym (or gym experience) great is my coach. He's been my full time coach for about 2 or 3 years now. Not only did he teach me how to love the sport but he taught me how to stay strong even when I'm going through really hard times. He's like a second dad to me. I can talk to him about anything and I almost always take his advice. I really don't think I would love gymnastics as much as I do if he wasn't my coach. I love going to gymnastics because it means I get to be with one of my favorite people. He's made more of an impact on my life than anyone else in the world besides my parents. And it's because of him that when my gymnastics career is done I will coach for as long as I can.
And I don't have anything bad to say about my gym. All positive. :)

Things I Love about my DD's gym!
- It's small & friendly
-owner, age 83, is honest & has great values. She never misses a day
- tuition rates & coaches fees are VERY affordable.
- at the end of each practice they end with a prayer & at the beginning of each meet they start with a prayer led by their coaches.
-head coach & owner knows a lot about gymnastics! She has no children of her own, these are her kids

Not so Great things:
- takes 40 min to get there- blah
- I'm pretty sure some of the equipment is from 1950 lol
-some of younger coaches are not that knowledgeable
- our older coaches are stuck in their old school ways
- no WiFi- dial- up only..did I mention she's 83?!
- lack of conditioning

Here is a beautiful pic a mom painted of some of our girls praying with coaches at a meet- <3 this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342986855.709289.jpg

I love that our gym has a HC who is an Olympic gold medalist and two other coaches that were on their national teams. I love that when the team has success, they acknowledge it briefly and then get back to work. I love that the girls are good to one another.

If I had one complaint, I wish that communication was a little better. All in all, I don't ever see us switching unless we move.

We have coaches with international experience and great technical expertise. The HC works the girls hard, but has a great big soft spot for the girls - it's a good mix of pushing and caring. DD has several good friends at her level on team and the whole team gets along pretty well.

I wish there were a bit more communication. It's like watching a silent movie without the title cards. To be fair, they do talk to you if things aren't going well or if things are going exceptionally well. If things are going as they should, they figure there's not much that needs to be communicated.

Things I Love about my DD's gym!
- It's small & friendly
-owner, age 83, is honest & has great values. She never misses a day
- tuition rates & coaches fees are VERY affordable.
- at the end of each practice they end with a prayer & at the beginning of each meet they start with a prayer led by their coaches.
-head coach & owner knows a lot about gymnastics! She has no children of her own, these are her kids

Not so Great things:
- takes 40 min to get there- blah
- I'm pretty sure some of the equipment is from 1950 lol
-some of younger coaches are not that knowledgeable
- our older coaches are stuck in their old school ways
- no WiFi- dial- up only..did I mention she's 83?!
- lack of conditioning

Here is a beautiful pic a mom painted of some of our girls praying with coaches at a meet- <3 this
View attachment 3597

Is this a gym affiliated with a church? That's a nice painting.

Prayer as a team is such a weird concept out here in the west. I have NEVER seen it.

It's a weird concept here too (northeast). To each his own (we'd be out of a gym like that faster than you can say "splits"). The painting is lovely though.

We love our gym!

Good things: Each child is treated as an individual. Everyone is given a fair chance to perform, regardless of body-type or age. They move people along at their own individual pace. The coaches are wonderful with the kids. The two main coaches balance themselves out well: one is a mother-hen type that doesn't want the kids to focus on scores and you can tell she loves just being with the kids, the other one is tough and pushes the kids really hard and wants perfection. They both are excellent in their way, and balance each other out well. There are other coaches too and they're all good - nothing negative to say. The gym is very clean and organized. There is a large waiting area (with WiFi) and a knowledgeable/organized receptionist. They have handled some tricky issues with my daughter's anxiety *very* well. I appreciate them so much.

Negatives (since you asked): Communication could be a lot better. The "larger plan" is never quite explained except snipits here and there. There are three different teams (JO, Xcel, rec), and it's something you don't really figure out until you're already in one. No one talks about the big picture or long term plans/goals. They really need another coach or two since the team has grown a lot recently. More practice hours would be good, we're definitely on the low end. But I'm really splitting hairs here. Generally we're very happy with where we are. There is an equal-caliber gym much closer to home that we've come close to switching to, but we're so happy we stayed where we are!

It's a weird concept here too (northeast). To each his own (we'd be out of a gym like that faster than you can say "splits"). The painting is lovely though.

I love that my kids pray before meets. We, also, live in the Bible belt. I think this country is severly lacking parents and kids with God in their lives. A Bible falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't. :)

Anyways, I love that my dd has fantastic coaches that care about making them the best gymnasts they can be. I love that my dd's gym has a small number on the team....smaller # of girls = more turns during practice.

The thing that I don't like is the fact that during fundraising activities for the gym, some parents aren't as committed to making the fundraisers successful.

I love that my kids pray before meets. We, also, live in the Bible belt. I think this country is severly lacking parents and kids with God in their lives. A Bible falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't. :)

Wouldn't go down around here, as not everyone with God in their lives uses the bible (there are other religions out there besides Christianity;))

Wouldn't go down around here, as not everyone with God in their lives uses the bible (there are other religions out there besides Christianity;))

Really?!?!?! I would have never known that unless you told me. ;)

No, but seriously, one last thing before I get kicked off this forum for being off topic: For all of you who thinks prayer at meets and practices is weird and would run from a gym who did those things....I will be praying to God for your souls.

Further discussions, private message me.

Really?!?!?! I would have never known that unless you told me. ;)

No, but seriously, one last thing before I get kicked off this forum for being off topic: For all of you who thinks prayer at meets and practices is weird and would run from a gym who did those things....I will be praying to God for your souls.

Further discussions, private message me.

You might be confused what site you are on right now...This is a gymnastics forum! Please keep your views on religion to yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back