YMCA nationals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone going to the YMCA nationals this summer in Wisconsin? The people who are at Y's but also compete at private clubs do you go to Y nationals?

Its really fun. Its all the Y's in the country so A LOT of gyms and we all go to one Y where ever it is and we have like opening ceremonies and they play YMCA because we are YMCA's and we stood up on the chairs last year and did the dance to it and we all dressed up to go with the theme haha my team was wonder women and then they had these moon bounces and slides and we all got brush burns for our meets haha then u have like open work out so u can test all the equipment and then we have our meet and like in 4,5,6,7 its not really nationals bc u only compete with the girls in ur session and even when we got awards we felt special like we were placing in the nation haha but it was like 1/3 of the nation and then in 8/9/10 u can make it 2 the 2nd day which is like everyone so u are actually competining in the nation its like top 25 in jr and sr... and then if u place in top 10 of the whole level in the nation like if i was top 10 level 8 jr i would be an all american which means u get like a jacket and then top ten on any event gets ur name in the book for next year and then teams can place my 8s and 9s placed last year i was a 7 so we couldnt place in the nation and then u like tour where ever you are when you aren't competining and you like see people wearing gymnastics shirts and you are like omg im here for nationals too! then they have lots of vendors and everyone gets like 20 new leos and you get like goodie bags and then have like energy jelly beans and coupons for free scrunchies and then we are all in hotels and we are really hyper running around the hotel and then we went to closing ceremonies which was when they announced that my team level 8s and 9s placed and then they played YMCA again and everyone was dancing to it and they opened the big thing of balloons so they all came down from the celling and it was really fun oh and they have a motivational speaker at opening ceremonies and last year it was brett mcclure and this year its gonna be chellsie memmel i think and last years site was www.ymcanationals2007.com and this years is www.ymcanationals2008.com or maybe they are dot org? haha but thats basically nationals atleast last years

Hi,

Unfortunately, our Y won't be sending anyone to Nationals this year because NY schools are still in session and NYS Regent Exams are all the week Nationals is going on. I don't think there will be a large NY showing this year.

It's a shame - our Y participates in Nationals every year and last year 14 girls went ranging from Level 4 to 9. It was my daughters first experience going, and it was a blast! We were looking forward to bringing her this year but.....

Hopefully next year school will be out. ;)

Cindy

Hi,

Unfortunately, our Y won't be sending anyone to Nationals this year because NY schools are still in session and NYS Regent Exams are all the week Nationals is going on. I don't think there will be a large NY showing this year.

It's a shame - our Y participates in Nationals every year and last year 14 girls went ranging from Level 4 to 9. It was my daughters first experience going, and it was a blast! We were looking forward to bringing her this year but.....

Hopefully next year school will be out. ;)

Cindy

Heh, so I'm not the only one who's had that problem! Gotta love New York State schools and Regents Exams....I had to miss competing in another (non gymnastics) national contest last year for the same reason. Just about every other state in the country is out by then and the few states that aren't don't have Regents exams so you can skip school. State Ed Dept won't let the Regents exams leave the state so having my chaperone proctor the test while I was in Maryland wasn't an option even if they gave the test during the same time as the rest of the state.

If I make the national level for this contest again this year, my Vice Principal and Guidance Counselor said I can miss the one Regents exam I would be taking b/c I don't actually need regents credit for that particular class in order to graduate. But they made a biiiiiiigggggg deal about possibly exempting me because they usually don't do stuff like that.

We are a Y in Florida but have not done Y nationals. Because it is in the summer, our coach is usually training skills for next level. Sounds like fun tho.

School isn't a problem for me. I think we get out June 10/11, then I go to Badger girls' state til the 20th, and before you know it, it's nationals! It's in my home state, too though, so that's kind of nice.

For those who are planning on going, enjoy great success and have fun! For us New Yorkers, it is frustrating, but hopefully it won't happen next year.

The Opening Ceremony was the best - teams march in by state and they play the Olympic Theme... it's an experience to watch.

Our Y usually starts working on next level skills right after Regionals in May, those who go on to Nationals usually work on both their routines and some new skills. This year, the whole team can start working on just new skills which is a consolation for my daughter who hopes to be Level 7 next year.

We have regionals and nationals in June so we dont do new skills really. I have regionals June 8th I think? Then we have some time to practice like two weeks or something then its off to Wisconsin!! YEAH!! I've only been to one nationals the one in Washington because at my gym we don't go until level 7 so im a level 8 gonna be competing it my 2nd nationals!

New York Can't go? That really stinks. I think most of us would convince our parents to let us skip school. Nationals doesn't happen every month!

We have regionals and nationals in June so we dont do new skills really. I have regionals June 8th I think? Then we have some time to practice like two weeks or something then its off to Wisconsin!! YEAH!! I've only been to one nationals the one in Washington because at my gym we don't go until level 7 so im a level 8 gonna be competing it my 2nd nationals!

New York Can't go? That really stinks. I think most of us would convince our parents to let us skip school. Nationals doesn't happen every month!

I wish it was as easy as missing school. Move up ceremony from 8th to 9th grade (High School) is that week, not to mention all Finals and NYS Regents. So it's just not in the cards this year.

The N.E. Ys has Regionals in early May, so it's almost 2 months before Nationals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back