leap tips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am working on getting a 180 leap, it's not like i have much to go to get there, but my left leg in the back is lacking height, do you have any tips to get that leg higher? I am more flexible in my right side so i don't know if being equally flexible in both sides is necessary to have a good leap. Would over stretching help or am i putting myself through the pain for nothing?

Leaps don't rely so much on "passive flexibility" (split on the floor) as "active flexibility" (split in the air).

There many bungee exercises and leg swing/kick drills to train muscles to snap into a split.

Usually a lack of hip flexor flexibility leads to a back leg dragging. There are lots of stretches for the hip flexors as well.

Ask your coach or google leg flexibility or hip flexor stretch.

well I am only doing dance now, So i have to work with what i can. What are the leg exercises? As far as i know i have good hip flexors, I mean i am pretty flexible. But i just didn't know if there was a way of bring up that back leg? I thought over stretching would increase flexibility making the leap better. But really i haven't done gymnastics in YEARS so i am like a clean slate now. As for dance though, I am one of the better dancers in the flexiblity section, but there are still things that I need to work on. One of the is leaps and switch leaps (which i can't do at all.) But the thing is our recital is coming up and I need to be able to perform a toe touch, switch leap and a leap, My leaps are fine as my dance teacher says, but being the ex gymnast I am, I have to have everything perfect, and my leaps to me are not perfect. Since my back leg is lagging, i was hoping maybe there were exercises I could do to help it.

Also i saw someone who said they were a cheer coach. Do you have tips for toe touches? Mine are looking a bit puny.

I think the small ankle weights, with a jump - straddle or split - on the tumble trak are a great way to get the feel & to teach yourself the snap, or as my dd says the flick for a wider leap... our gym does not do this so my dd has not actually tried it, but I know so many others that have benefited from this exercise - good luck:D

I've seen the higher level girls at my gym practice trying to do split leaps and switch leaps with tied around their legs (one end tied around each leg), so you might want to try that.

I've seen the higher level girls at my gym practice trying to do split leaps and switch leaps with tied around their legs (one end tied around each leg), so you might want to try that.

Do you mean the rubber bands? We use them a lot, I think they're really good!
Raised level splits helped me too.

Do you mean the rubber bands? We use them a lot, I think they're really good!
Raised level splits helped me too.

Ya sorry I forgot the word theraband (sp?). They're really long pieces of rubber that I've seen used for many things, including leaps.

With the theraband, you tie one end around each shin and practice trying to do the leaps with as big a split as possible. It's a lot harder but when you take off the theraband it feels a lot easier than it did before.

Are those the stretchy rubber bands (straight bands)?
I am looking for ways to help my girls with their split jumps. They all have 180 split in their leap but the jumps aren't as good.
I take it you use tumble trac or tramp?
how about spring board? Would that work?

I have the same problem on my leaps too. One "drill" that my coach has me do is get a big mat and put my right leg up on the top and just let your left leg hang down (not hitting the floor) keep your body straight up and keep ur hips squared and then just sorta kick the leg that is hanging(keeping it straight) about 50 or more times then you can do the other leg also. It helped me with my leaps soooooooooo much and now i am scoring at least 5 to 6 tenths higher in my floor routines!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back