Nothing for making state...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Beammom

This is my DD first year competing in state (Optionals). She had a good meet (1st on vault:)!). At the awards I was waiting for the girls to receive something for making state, since they did not receive anything at check in. Well, they did not receive anything. I remember when my daughter was level 4 or 5, we got shirts or water bottles, or something. It ticked me off that these girls worked so hard to qualify and make it to state and if they did not medal (they only went out 50% on each event), they went home empty handed. My daughter was blessed to do as well as she did, but I saw girls crying. As much as we pay to compete gymnastics and compete in state, they could have given them SOMETHING! Is this the norm in every state?

No. We have to pay for t shirts but like everyone gets one. Sometimes we get goody bags tho............
oh but last year at states they went out ALL places for all around so the ppl who were like hurt and only competed on a few events even got aa awards lol.
they were freaky bobble heads tho. i got a snowglobe instead tho haha cuz top 3 got snowglobes im glad i was 3rd haha

This year at states they gave out drawstring bags, with a nice logo on it. Last states we went to was before we moved here, so a different state, but they gave out T-shirts and grip bags. So, I guess your state is cheap.

I've only been to one state meet (L5 last year), and they were great about it. We got a tee shirt, a hula hoop (the theme was 50's), and everyone walked away with a trophy and certificate just for getting there. Plus, any awards you got. It was a little crazy. I'm hoping for a similar turnout this year at Novice! :p

It also depends on the state and/or gym that's hosting. Some are going to be cheaper than others.

Our kids never recieve anything for making states, and it's never been an issue. They know it's an achievement and they are really proud of themselves. They get a big deal made out them at the gym but they don't 'get' something.

I don't think it's a bad idea really. With competitions today so many kids and parents seem to feel that it is important to have something to take home. It is no longer just medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd but some are giving medals out to a ridiculous placing. Part of competing is not just learning to win, but learning how not to win. How to walk away empty handed and still be able to be proud of what they have done. To know that their self worth isnt determined by how many medals they have around their neck or how many trophies they have in their homes.

We feel your pain! Our State meet does pretty good for the girls but at a meet earlier this year our DD was fortunate enough to score first at meet for her level. They kept calling girls up and giving out these little stuffed monkeys (the 6 inch variety), at last they got to the first five gymnasts out of about 80 girls and gave them 6"monkeys too. It would have been okay except we paid $60 in meet fee's!

^I think that's the thing that most parents get mad about... the fact that they paid 60+ in entry fees, plus admission to the meet. Then they walk away from the meet with nothing? And I know I like to wear/take stuff into school to show my friends and such... so it's kind of a bummer when we don't get anything.

Our kids never recieve anything for making states, and it's never been an issue. They know it's an achievement and they are really proud of themselves. They get a big deal made out them at the gym but they don't 'get' something.

I don't think it's a bad idea really. With competitions today so many kids and parents seem to feel that it is important to have something to take home. It is no longer just medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd but some are giving medals out to a ridiculous placing. Part of competing is not just learning to win, but learning how not to win. How to walk away empty handed and still be able to be proud of what they have done. To know that their self worth isnt determined by how many medals they have around their neck or how many trophies they have in their homes.

I'm not referring to medals at all. I understand that there are winners and losers in this sport. The norm at EVERY meet that we have been to this year is for the gymnasts to receive some sort of gift...goodie bag, leotard (only one meet did that), scrunchies, water bottles with logos, etc. Its a sort of keepsake for girls, even if they don't medal. My point is that if these little invitationals can do that, then why not STATE. All of the girls worked very hard to qualify for state.

DD got goodiebag at State with a couple of Magazines and pamplets of camps,an orange and a coupon for $ 6 of a t-shirt or sweatshirt.Ofcourse all of us where so tense about the meet we did not really check the goodie bag until we got home and then found that coupon.Bummer.They also give out medals for top 50% in the individual events and everybody gets an all around medal.
We usually pay an avarage of $110 for a meet and it also bugs me when they do not give out anything else but pampletes(advertising) and maybe a little treat.The meet our gym is hosting gave out sweatpants the last time.

I forgot that they also get a certificate for making it to State and an All State Award if they score 36 and higher in the All Around.Last year got a medal and a teddybear in leo for that.
This year it was a plaque.
Poor DD just missed the All around State Award by 0.025.

In our state, you pre-order the state t shirt or sweatshirt from the host gym. They usually have a few to sell at the meet, but charge more. When my gymmie competed L5, they got nothing,(we had ordered the tshirt) but it was her 1st year of competing and I guess we didn't know better. Actually the state didn't have their act together and about 6 weeks later they mailed pins and certificates to all the gyms. Hmmmm--- have no idea where that certificate disappeared to. She has the pin on her gym bag.

Aussie---you do have an excellent point and all these gymnasts should be thrilled to make it to the state meet. I do remind my gymmie that many girls will come and compete and walk away with no medal---nothing. You do have to learn to be gracious whether in 1st or last because in this sport most kids will see both(or at least close to the bottom as some event). It is just nice to give them something to show they did qualify.

I feel your pain the State score for level 7 in our state was so high (AA35). Most of the 150 gymnasts who were at state for this level lots qualified in out of state meets. Then at State they only go out 10-12 places out of approximate 40-60 kids depending on the age group your in. I also agree girls need to learn that winning isn't all that is. However, getting to state is a huge accomplishment at least here. For this reason we should at least give out ceritificates or small pins or somthing to say good job on getting here. We do a good job of encouraging girls at the lower levels so they stay in the sport. What we seem to lack and mens gymnastics has figured out (because thay have had to in order to retain boys) is how to appreciate the Optional levels. How much would even a pin and certificate really cost when ypou are talking about half the kids in a whole Level 7-20 meet than are even in level 4&5 State combined. Just my thoughts.

In SC even those who go to level 2 state meet get a t-shirt to remember the meet.

Our optional state qualifiers were all called up by team and received a medal (stating that they were an optional state qualifier) and a certificate congratulating them on qualifying at their level. Then they recognized all the seniors that were competing that day. Then they went on with awards!

I thought that was very approperate and tasteful!

Goodie bags are given at the discretion of the host gym. Sometimes we get something, sometimes we don't. Personally, I prefer not getting anything any more. We have enough stuff. Most of what we have recieved in the past winds up at the Good Will.

We purchase our own T-shirts (pre-ordered, although there are usually a few extra for sale at the meet itself).

The coaches get certificates to pass out in their coaches packet. There is not ceremonial awarding of them. The certifcates are something run off on the copier, though, not anything special.

Livingatthegym-- I hear you about having too much stuff. My ds just started competing this year and apparently T-shirts are the only thing anyone can think of to give to boys. After only one year, his T-shirt drawer is stuffed full of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News