Carlotta Ferlito - Simone Biles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, Carlotta did not medal at worlds, but she surely is entitled to Gold in Poor Sportsmanship. most unattractive. to say the least.

As far as the racial comments issued by the italian Gymnastics federation -- have they lost their minds? I hope there is some sort of penalty or at least some sort of serious reprimand.

Rude, distasteful, poor sportsmanship but mostly just downright ignorant.

The statement from the Italian spokesman that read, “Carlotta was referring to a trend in gymnastics at this moment, which is going towards a technique that opens up new chances to athletes of color (well-known for power) while penalizing the more artistic Eastern European style that allowed Russians and Romanians to dominate the sport for years." ... Uh hello McFly, who was in second place? Kyla Ross who is pretty much the epitome of the Eastern European style of gymnastics. Long, lean, technically perfect, opting for consistency over risky tricks.

The sport is doing what it's supposed to, reward the most difficult gymnastics that is done consistently and technically well, hence the D and E scores. What a bunch of bitter melons!

Rude, distasteful, poor sportsmanship but mostly just downright ignorant.

The statement from the Italian spokesman that read, “Carlotta was referring to a trend in gymnastics at this moment, which is going towards a technique that opens up new chances to athletes of color (well-known for power) while penalizing the more artistic Eastern European style that allowed Russians and Romanians to dominate the sport for years." ... Uh hello McFly, who was in second place? Kyla Ross who is pretty much the epitome of the Eastern European style of gymnastics. Long, lean, technically perfect, opting for consistency over risky tricks.

The sport is doing what it's supposed to, reward the most difficult gymnastics that is done consistently and technically well, hence the D and E scores. What a bunch of bitter melons!

correct. and the new code is taking thew sport more towards artistry. what the italian federation said was nonsense. In addition to being mean spirited and offensive. Well, I guess the success of USA Gymmnastics and the stunning talent of Simone Biles, Kyla ross and McKayla Maroney bothers less accomplished gymnastics teams.

Go USA!!!!

I also feel for Vanessa Ferrari in this whole mess. She won a world silver medal on floor and finished 4th on beam and 6th all-around, SEVEN years after winning her world title. It is an amazing accomplishment, and is being overshadowed by the rude, ignorant comments from her teammate and the downright baffling comments from her federation. If I were her I would be furious.

I think that Carlotta just ruined her chances of ever medaling again. A judge that hears these comments and sees what a poor looser she is might be a bit prejudiced when scoring her again.

I feel bad for other Italian gymnasts this might negatively effect too.

Is the scoring in gymnastics always fair? No. It is ok to make rude comments and be a sore looser regardless? No.

Did you read the comments posted after the story? Things are "different" in Italy so what she said wasn't really racist? Really??

Did you read the comments posted after the story? Things are "different" in Italy so what she said wasn't really racist? Really??

I find the "explanatory" comments by the Italian Gymnastics federation far more troubling actually. At the end of the day carlotta is an 18 year old kid who was mad because she did not medal and Simone, Kyla and McKayla killed their routines. What exactly was the federation's excuse?

My comments were not a plea of innocence on behalf of Carlotta. Perhaps this was misunderstood. Rather, my comments went to the issue of relative culpability.

Carlotta Ferlito's gymnastics competing career is probably done at this point. What an ugly post-performance performance! And I agree with previous posters: there is no excuse. An 18-year-old young woman should know better.

It took a week, but DD and I finally watched floor finals last night, so this is fresh in my mind: Vanessa Ferrari should have won. Her routine was cleaner, prettier, more interesting...

Can any female anywhere tumble with more height and power than Simone Biles? Probably not. Wow! It leaves me speechless. But Ferrari's overall routine was better, and with a similarly powerful (vs. artistic) style. In my humble (and unqualified) opinion, Biles was overscored.

Povera, povera Italia !

What a great pitty for all the talented hardworking Italian gymnasts and their dedicated coaches.

French gymnastics receives so much help from the government and our results are pathetic.Italy doesn't get half as much support for its gymnastics program,yet it has been making great progress.

All of it will be over shadowed by this stupidity.

Honestly, I can almost forgive Ferlito's comment as being something stupid that a young girl said in the heat of the moment without thinking.

But my jaw hit the floor at Ciaralli's comments. That should cost him his job, if it hasn't already. I am utterly flabbergasted and don't even know where to start on what an awful comment that was.

Unorthodox Gymnastics has an excellent writeup of the whole thing

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back