WAG Told she gained weight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tons of good stuff here. I agree that weight should never be discussed by a coach. I also don't think it is their responsibility to give nutritional advice, but certainly don't think it hurts for them to tell newer team members something like "Be sure to eat before the meet! Protein, like an egg or some meat and cheese, is always a good choice to help get you through the meet."

For kids that are just starting competing, this can be really helpful advice, especially if they usually have waffles with syrup for breakfast. Some may erroneously think it is better not to eat, so they don't feel to full or get an upset stomach. So the above kind of nutritional advice can be really helpful to the newbie. (And share that with parents, who might also not really think about this.)

And, of course I agree with leading by example. Our gym used have a soda machine in the lobby area. A few years ago they switched to a cooler with just water bottles. Great job of leading by example.

I had a situation a couple of weeks ago with the girl (ages 8-10) were talking about there weight. One made a comment to another that she was so skinny and that she wished she was more like her and not fat. My heart was breaking for her because she isn't fat at all. She's a bit bigger than some others but it seriously looks all muscle. I put a stop to the conversation very quickly because it just wasn't needed but it's crazy that girls younger and younger are putting that pressure on themselves.

Also, I was at the Doctor a while ago and was weighed, I said that a BMI calculation on the internet said I was over weight. He literally said 'that's complete crap, don't you dare pay attention to that'. He said it doesn't take into account the extra muscle that athletes have or that a lot of women have a big butt and boobs.

In my opinion it is something that should be discussed regularly. Obviously it should be reinforced only by proper nutrition, not diets, but weight is a very important factor in gymnastics. A child is growing making it already very difficult to adapt to rapid changes, and putting on weight should be allowed to be pointed out by the coach as it is felt noticeably by a gymnast. Obviously as a gymnast grows older they will weigh more, but if it is an obvious change then there must be a reason. They should not say a gymnast is fat, but they should talk to them about their nutrition and solve the problem. A gymnast will find it hard to realise that they can't eat the same as their friends at school, because the physical demands on them are much more significant.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

you're off the reservation...

Well by avoiding the issue completely it creates a sense of awkwardness and lack of discussion can also lead to eating disorders if they don't feel that they can talk to someone about what to eat. Being overweight and underweight can have big consequences, so why should the discussion of the issue be banned by the head coach.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

the earth is flat...you're at the precipice...that's how far off the reservation you are.

What I would like to see is stats on eating disorders over the decades. Have cases of eating disorders gone down over the years as sports programs have become less intense on weight?...or are they the same as back in the day when all of these programs were supposedly doing weight checks on all of their athletes? Or am I way off and lots of programs are still weight checking their athletes?

The original question was "What would your reaction be?" (if your daughter was told she had gained weight).

I would not be very happy...

...HOWEVER...

...I would not be very happy if I was in a program that did not notice when gymnasts were growing...developing...and gaining weight. After all...training (at the upper levels) may need to be adjusted at times when a gymnast gains/loses weight.

We all know that strength to weight ratio is important in gymnastics...that means both weight and strength are important in gymnastics...

http://gymnasticszone.com/evaluating-your-strength-to-weight-ratio-needs

Now how about this...

http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/
  • Risk Factors: In judged sports – sports that score participants – prevalence of eating disorders is 13% (compared with 3% in refereed sports).19
  • Significantly higher rates of eating disorders found in elite athletes (20%), than in a female control group (9%).20
  • Female athletes in aesthetic sports (e.g. gynmastics, ballet, figure skating) found to be at the highest risk for eating disorders.20
  • A comparison of the psychological profiles of athletes and those with anorexia found these factors in common: perfectionism, high self-expectations, competitiveness, hyperactivity, repetitive exercise routines, compulsiveness, drive, tendency toward depression, body image distortion, pre-occupation with dieting and weight.21
If you are a parent and you have your child in competitive gymnastics...especially elite gymnastics...you are putting them at a higher risk than the average child.

DD's pediatrician also mentioned that sports/activities like gym and ballet require participants to be in somewhat revealing clothes. I wonder what the prevelance of EDs is for swimmers?

Having one child in ballet, I am well aware of how prevalent EDs are there, and I totally assume it's common in competitive gymnastics as well. I think to a degree (and this is just me thinking, no scientific basis for it at all) that gymnasts possibly have less pressure to be stick thin because being strong and healthy is so important in the sport.... Whereas ballet dancers have a lot of pressure to be almost emaciated. My own girls have two completely different body types and I am very conscientious about pointing out the great things about both. Older dd is built more like a dancer, thin and willowy, and younger dd is powerfully built with curves. I tell them they're both strong and beautiful, of course, because they are!
A couple of years ago my younger dd really made me stop and take notice when she informed me (wistfully) that she as going to start handing clothes down to her older sister because, in her words, "she's skinnier than me". I immediately sat down with her and let her know all the wonderful things about her body, how strong she is, what's her body can do and also pointed out that because they're built differently, one day she will have curves that her sister will be very envious of..! It just broke my heart to hear a healthy, normally built 7yo think of herself as fat in any way....
It starts so young, and comments like that can truly devastate someone's life. It's heartbreaking to hear the stories told here about the lasting effects, and I know that's just a mere fraction of it.

...I would not be very happy if I was in a program that did not notice when gymnasts were growing...developing...and gaining weight. After all...training (at the upper levels) may need to be adjusted at times when a gymnast gains/loses weight.

I think the gymnast's overall well being is the primary driver of any good coach. I know that while I care, I may not appear to care enough, or align myself to the preference of one parent or the other. I've read a number of posts that urge coaches to do nothing more than coach, and leave the parenting to the parents. I agree that parents should be making decisions for their child, or along with their child. My assumption is that happens best when the parents are informed and have a basic understanding of every side of any issue they consider. The same holds true for parents who provide the coach with information about their child to give the coach insight into developments in their child's life that may affect their training.

In that context, I think it's reasonable for a coach to meet with parents, as a group or individually and provide information about everything that affects their child's participation in the sport. It's also reasonable for parents to tell the coach what does, and what does not work for their child.

I quoted JBS because he seems to have a reasoned approach that defers to parents, yet allows for process to keep kids safe and training.

My position??? I want every child to have the best chance possible to get what they want out of the sport, and that it's up to each parent to decide the definition of possible. I hold this position because kids have their own view of the world and their role in the world. My worry is that some kids will leave this sport convinced that the world is not on their side, and that making an investment of heart is a foolish waste....... and that they fell for it and are, I don't know.... plug in what ever mistaken impression a child might have, by giving 100% to a losing cause.

In my previous post I suggested that a wise , nutritious diet would give each child the healthiest gymnastics body they could possibly have, and I think it makes sense that nutrition is one of the top priorities a gymnast's parents can have. I may not be reading correctly, but it seems that may be a pipe dream as there are a number of posts that infer the subject of food is taboo, and to let the kid eat by accident on a hit and miss basis because that will prevent the onset of an eating disorder....... the less said about it the better.

Come to think of it, that may prove to be true.

I'm sure there are some people who think it's flirting with disaster to let a child find out food plays a role in how they think, learn, and perform that goes well beyond eating a good snack before practice. The reality is that most will find out on their own, way before they hear about it from a coach (not the coach's role, right , or responsibility) or trusted adult, and may indeed start changing their diet in complete secrecy, and that's when you have a genuine problem to worry about.

So relax and don't worry, of course keep careful watch, because if you worry out of place, you may create something to worry about. I guess you could say my attitude is there are times and situations where trying to avoid being a victim is the first step to becoming a victim.

I wanted to post this reply in the coach spin off but it wouldn't allow it.

If coaches are genuinely concerned about the nutrition going into the kids, perhaps it would be a good idea to hand out sheets to all the parents (not just those whose kids have diet issues) which explain some basic facts about sports nutrition on them. Things like the importance of not eating too much processed food, making sure they get enough protein & calcium and avoiding sugary snacks. Perhaps give the sheet out when they join and then once every 6 months as a reminder.

I'm betting that many parents just don't know any better and reach for the easy option ( especially since most of our gymnasts are eating on the hop because of their schedules).

Hmm, iwannacoach, the thought that we may be swinging too far the other way, have become too sensitive to the weight issue is very interesting. I think the appropriateness of the discussion can vary greatly based on the age of the gymnast in question, but gymnasts ARE athletes. And beginning in high school and college, weight is a common data point when discussing an athlete's attributes.

Is it ever acceptable to discuss the weight of a college athlete/gymnast? This got me thinking, so went to the Stanford website to look at rosters for different sports. In a quick search, found that they list the weights for football, baseball, wrestling and men's basketball, but do not list the weights on ANY of their female sports teams' rosters. I am truly curious, why is the weight of a male basketball player relevant but not a female basketball player? Why is a baseball player's weight relevant but not a softball player's?

In my previous post I suggested that a wise , nutritious diet would give each child the healthiest gymnastics body they could possibly have, and I think it makes sense that nutrition is one of the top priorities a gymnast's parents can have. I may not be reading correctly, but it seems that may be a pipe dream as there are a number of posts that infer the subject of food is taboo, and to let the kid eat by accident on a hit and miss basis because that will prevent the onset of an eating disorder....... the less said about it the better.

Come to think of it, that may prove to be true.
I don't think parents are objecting to nutrition discussions, just to body size/shape comments or discussions. To tell your gymnasts about healthy eating, and what types of food will sustain them through practice, rebuild their muscles after tough conditioning, not leave them foggy headed/slow, etc is great. Just avoid telling them that some foods will make them fat. A lot of it is about context. Eating right is about being healthy, not about controlling the shape of your body. If you're eating healthy and exercising, the shape of your body is what it is. If you're not eating healthy, then eat healthy because it's healthy and there are many benefits of being healthy, but don't do so in order to change the shape of your body, even though appearing overweight might be an outward sign that you might not be eating healthy.

http://www.anad.org/get-information/about-eating-disorders/eating-disorders-statistics/
  • Risk Factors: In judged sports – sports that score participants – prevalence of eating disorders is 13% (compared with 3% in refereed sports).19
  • Significantly higher rates of eating disorders found in elite athletes (20%), than in a female control group (9%).20
  • Female athletes in aesthetic sports (e.g. gynmastics, ballet, figure skating) found to be at the highest risk for eating disorders.20
  • A comparison of the psychological profiles of athletes and those with anorexia found these factors in common: perfectionism, high self-expectations, competitiveness, hyperactivity, repetitive exercise routines, compulsiveness, drive, tendency toward depression, body image distortion, pre-occupation with dieting and weight.21
If you are a parent and you have your child in competitive gymnastics...especially elite gymnastics...you are putting them at a higher risk than the average child.
I don't have time to read the underlying studies right now, but I'm curious to know whether aesthetic sports are correlative or causative with eating disorders. It would seem plausible that those most concerned about their body and their looks would be drawn to sports where those are important (or to beauty pageants, etc).

If coaches are genuinely concerned about the nutrition going into the kids, perhaps it would be a good idea to hand out sheets to all the parents (not just those whose kids have diet issues) which explain some basic facts about sports nutrition on them. Things like the importance of not eating too much processed food, making sure they get enough protein & calcium and avoiding sugary snacks. Perhaps give the sheet out when they join and then once every 6 months as a reminder.

This is what our gym did this year. Last year they did a seminar for kids 9 and over, in a kids friendly fashion, then a separate one for parents. This year they gave material, links, and a book suggestion to all parents, so that they understood what gymmies require nutritionally vs regular kids. They have decided NOT to talk directly to the kids, as generally, it is parents who do the shopping and choose the food that gets packed, so what the kids are eating is generally directly attributable to the parents.

Our gym do talk about diet and nutrition. When dd was accepted the coach told us there and then that the training regime meant that we needed to start seriously thinking about her nutritional needs and they had some sheets we could take home. From time to time one of the coaches will have a little talk with the girls about nutrition - explaining how hard their body is working and the sorts of foods which they need. The focus is generally positive and concentrates on things which help, rather than things to avoid.

My friend's dd is at another elite gym where the girls are weighed and measured. I also know of another gym which does this. It was explained to the girls that this would help them know when they are having a growth spurt and need special consideration with training, but I know they occasionally speak to the parents (not the child as far as I know) if they are concerned about weight gain because it is easier to get injured.

I have mixed feelings. I feel it is my responsibility as a mum to ensure my dd is healthy and has the right diet and I wouldn't never want any other adult to talk to her about her weight - in relation to gymnastics or any other walk of life. I was initially shocked about the weighing measuring thing. However I can also see that as 'athletes' training many hours and doing dangerous skills, that for the coaches this may be part of the picture and may help them to formulate an overall picture of their 'athlete'. It needs to be handled so carefully and in the correct context. I'm not sure...

When my 13 year old daughter, who is a competitive skater, 5'4", adult size 9, came in slightly above her percentile in weight in comparison to her height, at her last physical, (I attribute this to muscle as she is a strong girl), our trusted Dr of 13 years handed her a pamphlet on "dealing with obesity". I was mortified and extremely angry and fired her on the spot. But I cannot undo what was done. I think health care providers have gotten dangerously hyper sensitive to the issue of obesity.

I grew up in a sport where weight and thinness were very important. Body lines mattered (figure skating, not gym). I was weighed publicly. I had my body fat measured publicly. When it started I was young, grade school ages and when I finally stopped at mid teen ages I had just hit puberty (delayed according to my doc because of low body fat etc- I actually grew 3 inches in college!) for years (and my parents will attest to this!!) I swore up, down and sideways that I would NEVER NEVER NEVER put my daughter in a subjective sport. NEVER. But here I am. Sigh.
I will tell you that I wish I had been steered towards good nutritional information instead of weigh ins. I will also tell you that it took me most of my adult life (really until I joined weight watchers after the birth of my third child- had to lose the baby weight and my usual tactics just were NOT working any more!!) that I truly got my relationship with food and exercise under control. My experiences as a child had a PROFOUND impact on my life (in a not so good way) and to this day I have a fairly warped view of how I look.
That said, I have heard "talk" about weight in my DD's gym. No public weigh ins. The talks are always to the parents, no children or teens around. But there are discussions of recruiters "dropping" a girl because she gained weight or was "out of shape". There is certainly a undercurrent of "pressure" that I am very aware of in the gym, heck in the sport. My DD is very young, but I have had a private discussion with our ped and we are watching her. I work with her (well with all my kids!!) about nutrition and what to eat to properly fuel their body. My youngest (3) actually just said to me "mommy, you are not really a candy mommy. You are a healthy mommy!" If I see anything like what I personally experienced going on with my child, she is gone. Because it may be just ONE comment. Just ONE remark, but I am telling you, it matters. I never had a diagnosis of anorexia or bulimia, but it affected me. A LOT.

I have no problem with coaches talking nutrition and noting how diet impacts performance. Girls do start at an early age to look at their bodies and measure them against others. We can thank Barbie,Hollywood and the ignorant among us for perpetuating any myths of what beauty should be.

What's an absolute no is a coach telling a girl they're getting fat (or tell a girl they'll get fat when they quit). I had this at our last gym - not with DD - but it happened to others. It was traumitizing and I can tell the girls who heard it were not verging any where near fat - just embarking on the journey that is puberty.

Our daughters (and sons) must be given some credit and responsibility for their food actions. They want and need direction in gymnastics and in life. But until recently my DD had mac and cheese as a dietary staple because I need her to eat SOMETHING. The fruit and veggies were always within her grasp. She's learning and listening but it is a process.

I don't have a problem with coaches reminding the girls that they need to eat a good breakfast before a meet or suggesting healthy snacks that will get them through practice. I wouldn't mind if they pointed out to me, privately, any concerns they had about her growth or weight that might impact her health and safety in the gym--provided that this was accompanied by the suggestion that I take it up with the pediatrician. And I would welcome a heads-up from the coaches if they ever heard my daughter making any comments that indicated that she was developing body image issues.

I would, however, have a problem if my daughter's coaches tried to give her, or even me, more comprehensive advice on nutrition, or if they told her to avoid certain foods. Some of coachp's "common sense" nutrition tips would directly contravene what our pediatrician has told us to do in order to meet our daughter's personal needs. Coaches are not nutritionists, and they shouldn't have to be. They have enough to do just teaching gymnastics.

As a pediatrician and mom of 3 gymnasts (2 boys), as well as an ex-dancer/swimmer who flirted with eating disorders for years, I would not have my child at a gym that commented on "fat" - in fact there is one coach in town (different gym than either my kids attend) where my patients have reported being told as kindergarteners that they are "too fat for gym", and I steer families away from that coach if asked (lots of injuries, bad form, etc there too...but the damage to the psyche of those girls is my biggest worry - and we are talking about pre-team to compulsory athletes here so its not a matter of safety!)

My daughters coach does discuss nutrition - and I'd like more of it - as my daughter often "shares" snack with her friends and her fruit and nuts come home in a bag with wrappers from fruit snacks and lucky charm cereal bars - so some of the parents aren't clear on what's good for the girls! They also are not to eat candy/soda during comp season....and are only to bring water in water bottles (no gatorade, etc). BUT there are level 10s that are lean machines, and girls with tons of muscle, and assistant coaches (old high level optionals) come in multiple body types. Being strong is what's emphasized, not skinny.

However, my daughter and her friend who is more muscular (both of whom at 11 are in early puberty too) both comment on feeling "fat" and will check to see if they can pinch a cm of belly fat....its just ubiquitous. Its a hard sport to get through puberty in - as were dancing/swimming....everyone can see practically every change your body goes through. And "growing up" does impact their gymnastics- daughter got really strong last year - and still is but now with almost 10 new inches in 18 months she has had to re-learn giants, etc not to mention all the extra tiredness, hormones, etc!

I too hate the BMI obsession - I even get referrals from the public health department for "obesity" in 9 month olds now!! My gymnasts have always had BMIs in the top 25% (dd for a time was in the "at risk" range) - while sporting almost no body fat (ds 2 actually looks skinny to the world, but has a relatively high BMI) Any doctor worth their salt can look at a kid, their past growth, their activity level and ignore the BMI - its when less educated people (or people who look at the number without the kid/context) get involved that a tool becomes dangerous. Childhood obesity has nothing to do with BMIs...

Coaches are not just coaches as a kid moves along in gym, they are important role models - any parent who wants their coach to only "coach gym" is missing the fact that their child spends a third of their waking life with these people - for years on end through a very formative time in their lives....its important for coaches to work with parents and be supportive of kids growing into adults - which means more than gymnasts....(I can't comment on young elite level girls - maybe you sacrifice more in that setting....but for me I always pick the people who my children associate with both on skill in the area involved, and overall humanity!) Nutrition, risk of eating disorders, etc is all a part of gymnastics, and coaches should be well educated about this too.

Parents do have to shoulder the burden as well - I know that we have far too many fast food meals precisely because of the gym schedule - but that's not because we don't know better!

great programme on the telly here about health. They took a cross section of different boy shapes and lined them up with their BMI's on t shirts.

Then they lined them up order of % body fat - different order

Then they lined them up in order of VO2 Max - different order again

basically they said BMI is rubbish

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back