Parents Please share your "switched gyms" stories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I would like to hear everyone's gym switch stories. Particularly these issues:

1. Were you/your gymmie happy at your original gym? If so, what factors led to you deciding to change?
2. How did you decide what gym you would take your gymmie to once you decided to switch?
3. How did you inform the old gym you were leaving? And how did they take it? Did you burn bridges or would you be welcomed back?
4. How well/long did your gymmie adjust to the new gym? Was there a learning curve with different training styles? Did they regress or blossom?
5. Do you have any regrets about the gym switch? Did the new gym fulfill your expectations?

1. We were happy at DDs original gym. However, it was/is a rec gym and it was getting obvious that DD needed to go somewhere that was more competitive. Plus, she was in her gym's first year competing artistic gymnastics, and was switching to Xcel the next year (this year).
2. Pick was easy. It was basically the one with the best reputation and closest to our house. I didn't even shop around.
3. The old gym new before I told them. In fact, the new gym called them while DD was there getting evaluated (she was 5yo, so it was a little odd they took the time). We did an eval on a Monday, I told the gym we were switching on that Friday. They were sad we were leaving. We were sad, too. I was told we would be welcomed back.
4. It took a couple of months for DD to get used to the new gym. She was really missing her old friends (they're much older, so it's not like they were having playdates). She had been frustrated with the slow pace of her class. She went from old L3 to a pre team. Though she hadn't been able to learn many new skills, her form and technique has gotten much better.
5. Regrets? No. For a few months, we were both missing friends. For a child who wants to do competitive gymnastics, we HAD to move. The original gym didn't even have uneven bars. Some of the moms here are definitely CGMs, even at the pre team level, which I'm not used to.

1. Were you/your gymmie happy at your original gym? If so, what factors led to you deciding to change?

Nope. Not at all. Hadn't had a real men's coach for months. They kept hiring people who never showed up (hmm.)

2. How did you decide what gym you would take your gymmie to once you decided to switch?

We went to the one we had heard the most about in the area. It was the next closest one with a great reputation for the men's program.

3. How did you inform the old gym you were leaving? And how did they take it? Did you burn bridges or would you be welcomed back?

Called them. They had told us "not to come to gym again until they called us with times." I told them we were not returning. Then they tried to bill me for the month we were "not allowed" to be there anyway. They threatened collections then dropped it. Bridges burned, but not by me!!

4. How well/long did your gymmie adjust to the new gym? Was there a learning curve with different training styles? Did they regress or blossom?

Blossomed immediately. It was a perfect fit and he and I have never looked back! A lot of his teammates ended up makign the same switch.

5. Do you have any regrets about the gym switch? Did the new gym fulfill your expectations?

No regrets. Now, we still have issues with new gym from time to time, but after my experience at the first gym, they are all minor and workable!

I usually hate to admit this, but we've switched DD twice... So this is longish (sorry).

Switch 1: I was, DD wasn't. There was a major personality conflict between her and her coach. DD can get extremely stubborn. Coach brought it out in her. DD had some fear issues, coach would get snarky, DD would dig her heels in... eventually she'd cry. Over the course of 3 months, DD was getting headaches, stomachaches, and sometimes panic attacks before practice. I stayed for a couple of practices. I was appalled at how she was treated. We immediately left the gym.

Switch 2: DD was blissfully happy - I wasn't. It was so many factors. The second gym had two different campuses, and she was moved at least a year sooner than we'd been told she would be. Plus DD ended up switching school districts. It ended up in a longer drive from home and her school... we also had to choose between her being pulled from school early to make it to practice on time, or being 25 minutes late (2.5 hour practice). That gym was also pretty bent on having perfect compulsories. DD was often upset after meets for not "contributing to the team score". DH was staying at practices because he refused to pay the gas money to drop off... and was turning into the gym dad from %$#@. So yeah, we switched.

Switch 1: Original coach at the second gym was a doll. By the time we left DD's original gym, DD was so terrified of the beam she'd shake just walking across it. So, we sought out a more compassionate, understanding coach (rather than just "skills" focused). Unfortunately, after just six months they moved DD to the "other" gym where the climate was much, much, much different. Granted, in that 6 months, DD gained a lot of confidence and a lot of her fears were improved.

Switch 2: It just felt right, and we so far love the communication and honesty. During Switch #1, we'd checked out a lot of gyms, but not this one (location was an issue then, DD moved into an area school district just last year). This time, it's the only one we even visited. It also really cut down on transportation time, and DD already knew a girl from school on the team (helped transition).

Switch #1: I'd been so mad during DD's last practice, I didn't say a word right away. I knew I was mad and somewhat irrational, so I waited until I thought it through. Then I e-mailed the team director and was polite but honest. She was the same. It seemed amicable. But it was a hard, hard switch for me. We'd been there for over three years - and they were like family (everyone - coaches, staff, rec and team families). Everyone knew each other and looked out for each other.

Switch #2: I called and left a message. Within a couple of days I spoke to the head coach (for her level) and again was honest. I am pretty sure they were completely shocked we left, and she didn't seem happy at all. I felt awful for a bit (especially as DD was emotional over it - she was VERY close to some of those girls), but still, it felt like the right choice.

It didn't take long for her to settle in to either. Warm-ups and strength were a lot different. Plus different gyms "uptrain" differently. Her original gym #1 "uptrained" a lot (though she was still really just "pre-team" there - she never competed for them).

Gym #2 didn't "uptrain" much, and DD lost quite a few skills that she'd had from Gym #1 (squat on and ROBHS for sure that I can remember) because Gym #2 didn't do much more than current level skills.

Gym #3 really seems to "uptrain". DD seems to be blossoming and it seems that she's really thriving.

Don't forget they also have to adjust to differences in personalities (coaches and teammates).

Switch #1: I regretted it the second we moved to their "other" gym. We stuck it out for a year for DD's sake. To be honest, I'd felt a bit deliberately misled. And they didn't seem really invested in DD - during our parent/coach conference, it actually felt quite negative towards DD.

Switch #2: None yet. Nobody/nothing's perfect, but so far I have no complaints (though I had a minor freakout over earrings a few weeks ago... then later laughed because hey - it's freaking EARRINGS. lol. I blame that on first meet stress. Is that ok?

That said, I hope we never, ever switch gyms again. It's a difficult balance between advocating for our kids and learning which things are OK to compromise. Because again, no gym is perfect ... (in part because we all perceive what is perfect differently).

1. I tried to sum up our reasons for leaving but there were too many. But the bottom line was that it was a YMCA program and DD wanted/needed more. DD was happy at the gym, but it was the only place she had ever been. It was pretty agonizing for her and me, but I'm glad we did it.

2. Till we switched, there was only one other gym in town and I had heard some stuff about it that made me wary. I had a fantasy gym in my head. Then, all of a sudden, there was a new gym in town that seemed to match many of the qualities of my fantasy gym.

3. I wrote a long, emotional email to the HC but before I could send it, a friend of mine, who was also switching her daughters, "outed" me. There were tears and hugs and the HC said she understood. She said DD could always come back, and I assume she meant it, but it's hard for me or DD to imagine a set of circumstances under which we would return.

4. Socially and emotionally, DD did great. She was best friends with her new teammates in no time, and she loved her new coaches. But she doubled her hours (from 7.5 to 15) and she was tired and sore for a long time. Her gymnastics definitely blossomed there. Her old gym never had a gymnast higher than level 8, and those were few and far between. DD is now a 12-year-old level 8 doing skills that she might have learned before she graduated from high school had we stayed at the other gym.

5. No gym is perfect, and there are things I would change if I had a magic wand, but I have no doubt that, barring unforeseen circumstances, this will be DD's gym for as long as she remains in the sport.

My advice... do as much of your research as you can without involving your daughter. Don't ask her opinion or ask her to make the decision. If you find two that you like and you want her to try out both and give you feedback, fine, but I can almost guarantee that she won't want to switch. Asking her to make a big decision like this, or asking her to keep secrets from her current teammates and coaches, is likely to cause her a lot of stress. If you believe that another gym will be better for your daughter, for whatever reason, you will need to step up and be the parent. She will adjust. I tried to let my daughter make this decision herself (she was 10) and it just tied her up in knots. Her desire to improve as a gymnast conflicted with her loyalty to the team she had been a member of for almost half her life and my easy-going happy child turned into an emotional basket case. The moment I said, "Fine. I'm making the decision. You're trying the new gym." it was like I had lifted a heavy weight off her shoulders.

Oh, and you can always send your messages about gym changes to dunno. He knows everyone and can give you good information about the coaches at the gyms you are considering.

Thank you for sharing your story and for the advice as well, Mary. And you're right about Dunno. He really does know everyone. It's crazy!

While at her original gym, I think our daughter would have said she was happy because she didn't realize that there were other options and all she really wanted to do was swing bars. She didn't live with us while she was at her first gym. She came to live with us in the middle of an extended time off period from gymnastics. When we decided to let her return to gymnastics we selected a gym near our home and which my SIL trained at throughout her gymnastic career [she is very much the youngest in her family and was competing her last L10 season when our daughter started there]. We mainly started her at the new gym because my husband and MIL trusted the program and the coaches. It also helped that it was convenient and her old gym was an hour away. My MIL also had some reservations about her old gym just based on things she had observed their coaches doing/or saying before and after meets.

We had the advantage of having a competing L10 gymnast in our family at the time we were looking. Essentially we had all of the inside scoop.
Our situation was a bit unique because she stopped gymnastics in between the two gyms [and spent about three months in a PICU and then came to live with us] so in a way she really didn't leave the old gym. Her old gym does have a no returns policy so she would not be welcome back there. Having seen her old coaches in action at meets over the past three years I can't imagine a scenario we would be comfortable with her returning to that gym either.

This is hard to answer because she took about six plus months off from gymnastics in the middle so she was in many ways almost starting over. At first she was thrilled to just be back in the gym and "swinging bars" [ok repetitions of kip-cast handstand to break in her new grips]. The HC at her gym worked with her individually to get her ready to move back into a regular L7/L8 training group. He really did well with this and we really appreciated that. We had some communication difficulties with him after that but we've worked through all of that and we really appreciate that he is a trusted adult advocate in her life now.

We did have some communication issues with her HC the first season she competed. There was an awkward middle period where we were unsure if we would all manage to get onto the same page and we worried we might need to pull her out of what was really the only gym option. Ultimately he did eventually start to hear us and came to understand that we loved her and wanted the best for her but we had legitimate concerns regarding her health. She's struggled a lot to get to where she is today and over the past few years her coach has really been a big part of the solution. He has been a great advocate for her and what is best for her as kid not just as a gymnast.

Just a note, I don't have a child in competetive gymnastics yet (pre-team/advanced program at the new gym now), but I did switch partially based on looking towards team in the future for dd.

Yes, for a while. But our satisfaction diminished as my children progressed. We were at a gym, that moved, then the two owners had a fight, and it split. We ended up with the original owner who was the team coach who went to a local gym that two parents of team gymnasts started. So it was messy to begin with. The other owner's gym ceased to exist. We stayed at that "new" gym for a year (we had been at the joint owned gym that split up for a year prior). In the year after the new gym opened time they went through 4 boy's coaches, only one who was any good. Ds was frustrated that during the summer he was working on handstand vaults, and then come fall, new coach, they are only doing jump up onto a mat. There was no progression in the boys program, on consistency. They aslo only had one set of rings, one pommel, no mushrooms, no paralell bars, etc. That is what first got me looking elsewhere.

In addition, Dd had been interested in team for a bit (since she realized that you can get medals and trophies for doing what she loved, gymnastics, just like her brothers do for baseball and football). Where we were pre-team was 4 as of May with few exceptions. Dd was told she could try out since she was a summer birthday. Come day of try outs, and she's puking. So I called the gym and talked to her then rec coach who basically told me it was no big deal and she could do a private tryout, which she did the following week. And then we wait, and wait, no word. I find out pre-team is starting the next day, so I ask her then coach (who is one of the co-owners) why we haven't heard anything. She told me all the girls should have been contacted whether they made it or not. Heard back that evening that they thought dd should wait a year. It definitely is possible she'd be better off waiting, but I also felt like her try out got totally forgot about and the class was filled by the time I realized to ask + she was young. I'll never know for sure. Meanwhile, dd is bored in her class. Even though she moved up an age level, they are doing nothing different, they are not teaching basic form, etc.

So at this point ds wants to quit because he's bored. Dd is complaining she's bored. It was obvious that the gym was not a good fit for us.

I had heard about a really good gymnastics program at another (10 minutes further away) gym through dh's crossfit program. I'd heard really good things. So I figured, we're not happy, let's go do the free tryout class and see what we think. So we went. Both kids had a great time, and we enrolled immediately. At that point dd was missing some skills to be in their advanced/pre-team track, but was really close. Most of those skills were things that were never taught at the old gym as well as form issues which she had never been taught.

I called and said we wouldn't be enrolled the following month and left it at that. I was polite, they were polite, I didn't tell them why.

My kids LOVED the new gym right away. After the trial classes they did not want to go back to the old gym, so we didn't. They blossomed, and my younger ds who hated gymnastics at the old gym wanted to try this one too, so he did, and loved it as well.

Dd was at the new gym maybe 7 weeks and she was moved up to the first of the advanced/pre-team classes. Her skills grew exponentially. So did my ds's.

I quickly realized that the new gym had MUCH better coaching, even at just the rec level. They have a better team program too, with higher levels than the old gym. Old gym most kids slowed down or quit around Jr. High and I think there was one girl that was level 7 and that was the highest (old level). New gym there are a lot more girls at the higher levels. The equipment is also better, they have 2 pits for example, multiple sets of the boy's equipment, and they train the preschool kids on actual apparatus, not just preschool sized bars and equipment like the old gym. Which to me makes sense (they just move the bars down for them, and use the low to the floor beams more).

The new gym also has a way to track each child's progress, even at the rec level. It is such a relief to know that the classes are structured to actually teach new skills! And to see my kids learning them!

My only regret is not switching sooner. I feel like if we'd started at this gym ds may have had a shot to participate in the boys team. Now at nearly 9, he's not interested anymore, but I think if he'd started younger it might have been different. He definitely has a bit of talent I never realized. The new gym does have exhibition teams too, which I could see ds doing when he's older after he learns some new skills.

I am really excited about the girl's team too. If dd continues in her desire to compete, I believe this will be a very good fit for us. I've watched the kids on the teams (boys and girls) practicing and have been happy with what I've seen and have seen very few injured team kids too, which is a good sign. A few braces here and there, but not a number I'd be alarmed about. It also seems that the coaches have a good relationship with their gymnasts - they all look happy to be there overall.

Yes, but it was a recreational programme and as it became clear to us that DD wanted to take gymnastics seriously and compete it was no longer suitable for her.

The coaches at DD's first gym recommended her new gym. It has fantastic coaches and a solid reputation for training at a very high level.

I spoke to DD's coach to say i was planning on moving her and explaining why. They were a little disappointed but recognised that since they don't offer a competitive programme switching gyms was DD's only option. They helped by speaking to the coaches at DD's new gym to find the session best suited to her.

Brilliantly. She has taken to it like a duck to water. It's clear to me that DD was crying out for a harder programme. She has developed so much in the last few months....it is truly amazing to think back and compare her skills now to those she had earlier in the year ( before the switch). She puts loads of hard work in both inside and outside of gym ( her favourite thing to hear from her coach is "i can tell you've been practising").

No. It was 100% the right thing to do. My only regret was not choosing gym number 2 in the first place. Communication with parents is not as good as it was at her first gym ( although they're trying to work on it) but I'm overall very happy with how DD is progressing.

We (parents) were not, but DD was mostly happy. I think that as a 10 year old, she didn't necessarily have enough experience to recognize that many of the things the adults were doing were actually wrong, and not acceptable, especially as she benefited from some of their behaviors (she was a coach's pet, much to the detriment of other girls, though she was happy to get all kinds of coaching time). In addition to wanting pits as optionals began, it really came down to the environment we wanted our daughter exposed to 20+ hours/week. We made a thorough list of what we thought was right and wrong, and explained to her that as her parents, we had to set an example for her about making good decisions, deciding who to associate with, and making sure that she had the courage to stand up for the right thing even if she was deriving benefit from the things that needed to stop. She was surprisingly receptive to that, even though we were scared to death to tell her.

We are fortunate that there are some great gyms in the area. While several of them perform quite well, one of those we consistently heard great things about the character of the staff and coaches and their positive influence on the lives of the gymnasts. So far, it seems to be true - they perform at a high level, get scholarships, etc, but they all seem to be well adjusted good people with sensible priorities (which is not to say the other gyms weren't, but we never heard that about them from parents there).

We had a "false start" switching 9 months prior to actually switching. We wrote a letter, brought it to the gym and talked with them. 9 months ago, we backed out and returned. It was awkward for a day or two, but was fine. We've remained as polite as possible with them and have consistently told them the things we're appreciative for (we have a number of problems with them, but they're also very good at some things).

She was getting killed on conditioning at the new gym for about two weeks. There's definitely a different in coaching style and methodology. It's all coming along fine. I would say neither to 'regress or blossom', but it's probably too soon to tell. We're right at about one month (and first year of optionals starts soon!).

One thing we've noticed is that DD is much more cheerful now, and not just related to gymnastics, but even on Sunday afternoons, or any random time. Where I mentioned above that we thought she was too young to know what was wrong, maybe she was just too young to articulate it and bring it up herself. She's definitely happier than she was before, even if she doesn't directly attribute that to switching gyms. She's not fond of new places and people, but she likes the new coaches and the new girls, and comfort will grow with time.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner. Our reason for returning to the old gym vanished back in June, and while we had a fleeting thought about switching then, we wanted to give the gym a chance and see how they would proceed.

Switching gyms is hard and unpleasant. Listen to your doubts, but don't be driven by them. Do what you think is right, and be open and honest with your gymnast.

Oh, and you can always send your messages about gym changes to dunno. He knows everyone and can give you good information about the coaches at the gyms you are considering.
We did the same. His response wasn't about gymnastics or coaching ability (given the owner/gym, that wasn't in question), but about character, and it made an enormous difference hearing it (though we also hear it from the gym's current and former families). I had also told him who our current gym was, and I figured they were small enough he wouldn't know, but he described the coaches' abilities and personalities near perfectly.

We were at a "rec" gym which competed only in AAU and a non-sanctioned local organization. There were no gymnasts above old L6 at our gym. Once I believed Kipper was committed (at least for now), I started looking for a USAG gym.

Posted here and PM'd Dunno. :) In my professional life, I deal with management and leadership issues. Beyond anything else, the person coaching my kid RIGHT NOW has the most influence over her success and enjoyment in this sport. The owner/HC has to completely buy into a philosophy that the coaching staff makes/breaks the business. When I found the new gym, I was impressed by the owner's enthusiasm and focus on building a great gym (new USAG WAG program). She had hired a great team and the coaches I met raved about working there. They already had successful upper levels (switched from TNT or transferred). The optional level coaches are "hungry" ...looking to accomplish great things.

We did not give notice before leaving. I emailed the owner and told her we weren't coming back. I thanked her for everything and explained why I thought it necessary to move on. She was gracious and wished us luck. I think we could go back...but I can't imagine why we would.

Kipper cried for an hour when I told her. That was a hard Mommy moment. However, at the end of the SECOND practice she told me we made the right decision. The old gym did very little conditioning, while the new gym focuses on building strength and flexibility ahead of skills. Even at 8 years old Kipper recognized the difference. She also recognized the level of focus and attention was different. Old gym was much more relaxed, more goofing off between turns, very little structure. She said she missed her friends at the old gym. However, within a month, she had new friends. I think that part would have been harder had she been older, or had she been with the group longer (she had been with them less than a year).

5. Do you have any regrets about the gym switch? Did the new gym fulfill your expectations?[/quote]

No regrets. I was disappointed when Kipper's coach left at the end of summer to move out of state. However, the new coach is just as wonderful. There has been such an explosive growth at this gym (word is out) that its becoming a bit challenging. Good coaches are hard to find, so they are a little short staffed right now and you can feel some stress. Kipper's group is only working out 11 hours per week (summer hours were 16) so she did not get more training time. That was a disappointment. She is focusing on form and perfecting skills, so she is not learning much new, which was VERY frustrating for a while. Still, it was a great move for us.

I think MaryA's advice is perfect: Unless your child is a good bit older (about 13+ depending on the kiddo), don't involve her in the decision. It was so stressful for me, I imagine it would have been way worse for her.

DD and I were happy with the friendships and the growth to date. Not happy with coaching turnover, equipment, and overall vibe of program. The coaching was not strict so LOTS of standing around playing with hair. Lots of tears from frustration with skills.
Honestly, DH pushed us to make a move. It was really hard to leave friends. I still think the gym was a good place to start - just not a good place for optionals or those with bigger goals (like competing in college).
It was hard across the board. I felt some of the parents were worse than the coaches. I truly think the coaches would welcome us back, but I can't see returning.
It took 6 months for DD to say she was happy with the switch. A year for her to really feel be confident in the change. The worst part was leaving friends, and unfortunately it's proved difficult to stay close with the ones she left. Also, there was definitely some learning curve with the warm-ups in particular. Example: DD had never done jump rope on beam before. The skills growth has been phenomenal though. We didn't even realize how many things were taught incorrectly.
No regrets at all. Wish we had done it a year earlier. The new gym filled most expectations - certainly from a training perspective. Every program has plusses and minuses and the overall goals of the gymnast and the family must be considered. Our only wish is for more training hours during competition season. We're definitely at the low end of hours for optionals training, but they won team trophies at state in spite of that deficit and I think that says a lot.

My dd was content with her gym and happy to be with her friends (teammates), girls she had been with her entire gym career. She had only been at this gym, 13+ years and is a L10. I was not happy with the gym, but at this point, I “only had 1 year left” was my motto. I had tried to get dd to leave before and she wouldn’t go and I basically said to myself that it’s her choice (she is now a Senior in HS). The choice to leave her old gym wasn’t ours, she was kicked out of the gym due to a run-in I had with the coaching staff (this was back in July of this year). I still, to this day, believe every word I had said to be the truth, unfortunately, they didn’t like what I had to say. My dd was kicked out of the only gym she had been at for 13+ years via a text message!

Well, we were short on time as she no longer had a gym to work out at, but in the previous attempt that I made to get her to leave we did go visit another gym. This is the gym that she ended up going to try-out at and now is training at. I wanted dd to be at a gym that had a nice training facility/equipment and I could see that the coaches were capable of coaching L10 girls.

Well, I guess I answered this one above – there are no bridges to rebuild and we will never be welcome back at old gym, nor would we want to return.

Dd did have some adjusting to do. The new gym set the bars differently and it took a little time to adjust to, but she has. They also used a different amount of springs in the springboard for vault. Again, took some time to adjust to, but she has. The vault coach did ask at one point if she used a different amount of springs and she said yes, but she will get used to this. So, I’m sure he would of taken out a couple of the springs if she asked, but she didn’t. She told him she’d adjust. As for floor and beam, there were/are adjustments there as well and the new coaches are working with her still. All of the little things they are doing are helping dd and she sees that, so I would say she is blossoming!

No regrets, none whatsoever. At 1st dd had a hard time, but in a matter of weeks, she saw the difference too – and for the better. Realize though if it weren’t for me getting dd kicked out of her old gym (blessing in disguise), she never would of left on her own and she never would of seen what it was like to be in a gym atmosphere where she wasn’t yelled at everyday, mind games weren’t being played and what actual coaching looked like!

Thank you all for your stories. I asked these questions because I'm trying to make some decisions and like to hear other people's experiences to help guide me.

My DD is a first year optional, 9 years old. She talks about becoming an elite gymnast and she also talks about being a college gymnast at a particular D1 school. I think that elite is probably out of her reach (not quite sure yet), but hope that maybe reaching L10 and then seeing what happens is at least a possibility.

Her gym is a small, family type gym. We have okay equipment and even a small pit. Our vaulting situation is less than ideal because there is no landing surface other than a pit. We have full bar sets but nothing like a channel bar. Beam situation is fine and plenty of trampolines as well as a springfloor.

I know our owner has been trying to purchase/build a new facility but I have no idea what the time table is on that and no idea what the new facility would have in comparison to what we have now.

The coaches are like family. DD's team coach and the gym owner are wonderful people who we both love dearly. No problems with the other coaches in general. However, the program seems to lack intensity. There is a lot of standing around, gymnasts allowed to repeatedly balk, corrections not always made/enforced, etc.

Because of DD's goals, I feel (and have had some confirmation from outside sources) that DD's gym probably won't be able to get her where she wants to go. There is another gym less than an hour away from us that is probably the best gym in our state. They don't do elite but they usually have at least one scholarship kid each year from what I can tell.

They also have a stronger optional program than what DD's gym has. Right now, I believe there are around 15 total optionals from L6 to L8 at our current gym. The other gym has about 15 just on L7 and they have gymnasts going all the way up to L10.

If we switch, I cannot imagine how we will begin to tell our current gym. We are so involved in everything and have made so many friends that it will be painful. I think that the owner will be hurt and I don't know if DD would be allowed back if the new gym doesn't work out.

Right now DD is a big fish in a little pond, but moving she would be the little fish in a big pond. I don't know which is best. She knows every gymnast and coach at her gym and everyone knows who she is. She was everyone's "baby" for a long time. The coaches still make excuses for her a lot...."she's so young, she's too strong to be flexible, she'll turn it around someday", etc.

I want her pushed. I want her taken off that bar when she starts bending her legs on her giants and sent to work on them until she can come back and do them straight. I want her on a low beam doing back handspring stepouts with straight legs because she CAN do them that way. And I don't want her to not get to work tsuks because her "group" isn't ready while the coaches admit that she is ready to start drilling them.

Jeez....reading this, it seems obvious, doesn't it?

Dd was happy enough but it was all she had ever known. When we started pointing out our concerns she quickly came around to our way of thinking.

I knew I only wanted to switch one time and I wanted to switch to the best around us.

3. How did you inform the old gym you were leaving? And how did they take it? Did you burn bridges or would you be welcomed back? We emailed. It did not go over well. They called us, cussed us out, called us names, etc. Very ugly! Yeah, you could say that bridge is burned.

She thrived and had no trouble fitting in - but she knew girls from school at that gym already.

None, I love our gym. Ok, I take that back - I wish we had switched sooner. Every gym has their issues and there are things that frustrate me, but overall it is the best place for my family.

They also have a stronger optional program than what DD's gym has. Right now, I believe there are around 15 total optionals from L6 to L8 at our current gym. The other gym has about 15 just on L7 and they have gymnasts going all the way up to L10.
How well do those L6 to L8 girls do in meets? Do they move up at the same rate as other gyms, or does your gym take longer on average to get them up through optional levels?

If we switch, I cannot imagine how we will begin to tell our current gym. We are so involved in everything and have made so many friends that it will be painful. I think that the owner will be hurt and I don't know if DD would be allowed back if the new gym doesn't work out.
They're human, it will hurt. But, they should also be understanding of a kid's hopes and dreams and of a parent's desire to let their child see how high they can fly.

Right now DD is a big fish in a little pond, but moving she would be the little fish in a big pond. I don't know which is best. She knows every gymnast and coach at her gym and everyone knows who she is. She was everyone's "baby" for a long time. The coaches still make excuses for her a lot...."she's so young, she's too strong to be flexible, she'll turn it around someday", etc.
The big fish in a small pond has no reference point for size. The small fish in the big pond knows what to shoot for and sees examples of how to get there.

And I don't want her to not get to work tsuks because her "group" isn't ready while the coaches admit that she is ready to start drilling them.
DD was well behind on the uptraining at the new gym because her old gym generally didn't do it. She's catching up and learning quickly, but she definitely noticed at first.

Take a few days and go try the new gym. See if dunno will give you an assessment of that gym. Only then will you know whether it's even a discussion.

In the last full year of her gym (L7) I was very unhappy. The coaches sat on the side lines a lot, not a lot of spotting or constructive correcting, excessive yelling at kids. They were not teaching a lot of new skills.
Our gym also did not have national level coaching or gymnasts

I went and watched several clubs first to see the coaches in their natural environment. I also looked at the results of the gymnasts as well as looked on line at utube to see their performances.
Once I narrowed it down to a couple I then took her to "try-out" and see what they had to offer

I had spoken to our old club many time of what our dd goals and dreams were and she wanted more. I don't think they thought we were serious about wanting more. When they found out my dd "tried out" at another gym - they asked us to leave. Sadly after we left they lost the rest of my dd group which was a great group of gymnasts. They did not follow us to our new gym but they all moved to other gyms realizing that there was so much more out there. I would never go back. They can not teach my daughter. They do not have qualified enough coaches.
I totally have no regrets in having her try out at another gym. Both clubs that she tried out at said she had way more to give then what she was getting.
I would totally do it again if the need arises where I want a second opinion of where she is at or where she could go.

On our way home from her first training practice she cried. I thought - "what have I done". She has never looked back since. She totally understood why she left. She boomed on skills - unbelievable boom.
Totally satisfied with our gym last year.

No regrets leaving our old gym. I do wish I had researched the new gym more. Although they have a fabulous track record for national - they do not have a lot of experience with international gymnastics. Which is what my dd wants.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back