Parents New Here - Not on Team Yet (Long)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was in a similar situation as you. My daughter was 5 and started in level 1, twice a week ($85/month) , moved to HotShots after 4 months (1 1/2 hours, 2x a week, $135/month), 3 months later, pulled up to team level 3, 12 hours/week, $305/month). Our gym does open tryouts in June. My daughter was a level 1 in June, so I thought trying out for team would be silly. She was pulled up by the head coach in September (on her 6th birthday). The deposit for warm ups, team warm up leotard and comp leotard was $273....not sure what the remaining balance is. She does one private most weeks right now , only because she moved up late and is having a hard time with Vault ( never did vault before team) and that darn front hip circle. We have a booster club, but have to be a part of the booster club for 6 months before they pay any meet fees. We will have some (not all) meet fees paid starting in March. So fat, we've paid for 3 upcoming meets. They were around $100 each. We have two travel meets ( only one is required). Hope that helps give a good picture of how it could work for you too :) good luck!

Of course, make sure you ask the gym all of these questions, but one more thing to consider - he said that she would benefit more from a 30 minute private than from another hour class. At 6 years old, sometimes kids get distracted and bored waiting around and, in a class, the gymnast has to share time with others. 30 minutes of one-on-one gives her more time than an hour with a group. He probably still wants her to ALSO do the 2 classes a week because he probably doesn't want the gym to think he is trying to take money from them.
Get your answers, then decide what you are doing. If you do choose to do the privates on a regular basis, I would drop down to 1 day a week during that time and save that money for when she does move up.

I just checked all of our rates. Our rec girls pay about $22/hour, but they only go once a week. My DD is Level 3, training 10 hours/week, and we're paying $30/hour. She will most likely get moved up in December, at which time she'll be training just under 15 hours a week. Our monthly price will go up, but our hourly price will drop to about $22/hour. By the time they get to the highest optional levels, they're only paying $17/hour, but they're there 23 hours/week.

Our rec is $16/hr. Monthly for 6 hrs of level 1 team is $150, which is very cheap from what I understand. Another gym we looked at was $195 for level 2/3 team and 6 hours. Privates run $30/hr.

I would ask the coach to clarify team vs. Pre-team. Maybe knowing what level would help. Our gym doesn't do open tryouts. They picked girls from the developmental classes to "try out." Seeing as they all made it, it seems like they had been watching the girls and it was a formality. We briefly did privates for a month or two before team bc our gym offered nothing between preschool developmental and the team that was a fit for DD.

Yes, you should run far, far away. Or find a good money tree! J/k! :). We are sort of at the beginning of this journey, and it's been a little rocky. That's a different story though.

As far as the jump in hours, my DD is six and goes 6 hrs/week. It's been fine. She jumped from one hour a week to 6 and I was worried too. She was tired the first couple of weeks but quickly adjusted.

Our rec is $18 - $22 depending on length of class. Our Level 3 is $6.77, 12 hours a week. I agree with all the previous posts. Most gyms have a pre team or developmental class that your daughter should be put in. The way I see it privates should be for girls who are already on the team. You shouldnt need privates to get into the preteam level. Just my 2 cents.

Your rec rate seems really high, but that could be regional. Our rec rate for 2 1hr classes/wk for a 6yo would be$85, but they would move a student up to a higher level rec class instead of suggesting privates. Our highest level rec class is one 2hr class/wk and right about $80. If they see a child with promise, they will suggest TOPs first (4hrs/wk and around $115). The girls can make team by going from tops or from rec classes, but tops is vastly preferred. First level of team is L3 who go for 6hrs/wk (2 practices a 3hrs) and costs around $180/mo... But then you must add team expenses such as obligatory leos and warmups plus of course meet fees (currently around $1700 up to L5, unless your kid goes to state which you will pay extra for). This does not include travel expenses and all our meets are 2-4hrs drive away. Our L4/l5 team monthly tuition is around $260 and they train for 15hrs/wk. None of the rates other than rec classes are on the website.

My daughter is at the gym 15 hours/week and we pay $350 plus $150/month for 6 months for "assessments" which covers meet fees, paying coaches at meets, coaches travel, banquet, etc. My other daughter is at the gym 3 hours/week and we pay right around $150/month after our 10% sibling discount for her. So between them, we pay $600/month right now. It's definitely a lot to think about. My younger daughter is only on pre-team. Her leotard was really basic and only $30. They only have one assessment fee per season of $50. My older daughter's team tank leotard, competition leotard, bag, and warm-up all cost around $500 or so total. Of course, you have to also consider spirit wear, camps they may want to go to, travel for meets, buying stuff at meets, pictures, required fundraising, working parent hours, etc. Our gym rarely allows privates, only if a gymnast is really struggling. I have seen girls move up at random times or even spend part of their time training with their current group and part of their time training with the group that the coaches are planning to move them to. Right now, there is a Level 3 training half and half between Level 3 and "new" Level 4 (old level 5) because she will not be old enough to compete new level 4 until January. I would just ask the coach again for clarification on what his intentions are and what level they are planning to move her into.

Our club gym's prices are insanely low compared to most I see on CB. My dd practices 12 hours/week and we pay $170/month. Works out to about $3.55/hr. And no, we aren't a YMCA. We are a privately owned gym.

We get new leos or warm-ups every other year. So this year, we get new warmups. Next year, we'll get new leos. They really watch the cost and try to keep it under $100 each year for the new item.

We have annual fees to cover meets & stuff, but they are only $900/yr. That includes all meet fees, coaches costs for meets, etc.

I'm glad our gym tries to keep everything affordable for the families. I'm sure there are many families we would lose if the prices were as high as some of you pay.

Raenndrops, that was going to be my plan if we do this. One rec class and 30 min private. We can't hang with 2 x week plus privates. I mean, probably could afford it, but I don't want to do that right now. He DID say that 2 x week plus private would be better for her, and he recommended that...so I don't think he's trying to take away $ from the gym, and I do believe that she will thrive with the attention (most kids probably would). I'm thrilled that someone has noticed her and wants her to succeed since she loves it...just don't want us to overcommit if it's a crap shoot or a scam.

Mouey77 I'm glad your DD adjusted quickly to the hours at this age. That is encouraging!

Thank you all for the money comparisons! It sure seems like this place is on the higher end per hour for rec anyway. Gym owners must be rolling in money. I *might* be able to estimate what hourly team expenses could be based on your comparisons, but I still don't know how many hours she'd be signed up for. I was going to call today, but I think I'm just going to wait until her next class on Tuesday, so I can meet someone in person (and hopefully get some sort of printout).

5girls1boy you are TAKING MY BREATH AWAY. $500 for CLOTHES on top of all that..... DH would freak out.

Kayjaybe - I want to move her to your gym! ;) That's an awesome philosophy.

Surprisegymmom our rec rates are double yours. Yuck! I wonder if that means the team rates would be, too.

Hmmm...

Okay, money aside - if this somehow ends up being the only path, and this is the best gym around...would YOU go for it if it was your kid???

The BEST gym is NEVER the best gym for everyone. The best gym is the one that works for your dd (dear daughter) and your family. Since she is just starting on the team path I suggest you quietly look at other gyms just for comparison sake. (Search "looking for a new gym" in the search box for lots of threads on the topic. ) Please do this a bit on the sneaky side. Do not tell the current gym that you are looking around. First decide how far you are willing to drive, then look at gyms websites. Then go visit a few but do not give your name or your daughters name ( gyms are notorious for sharing information quickly) and get a feel if you like the coaching and if you think your dd would like it there. Consider the teaching style of the coaches, the philosophy of the gym, the cost and the drive time during rush hour. Then if you want your DD to have a tryout at a new gym you can.

If your daughter becomes a part of a team both you and her will spend untold hours and dollars there. Consider this more seriously than if you were purchasing a car. Would you buy a car because it was the first one you looked at or would you do some research? Add in that you will literally be putting your child's life in the coaches hands. You need to find a place that works on multiple levels only one of which is their reputation for being the "Best gym around".

Wow. That is REALLY great advice. Thank you. It's easy to get caught up in reputation when you have no idea what else to look for as an outsider to the sport. Much to think about now. Putting her life in their hands...OMG.

I would try to get an evaluation with another team if possible. It is unusual for a coach to suggest two privates a week at this level. Of course, you may find this is still the right gym even if they agree she has team potential elsewhere, but at least this will confirm to you her current level and whether it's best to go forward with the current gym.

Our rec charges the equivalent of $6.50 ph and team $2.50ph. No such thing as privates and so far as I can tell extra hours pre competition are included in our basic monthly direct debit.

I now feel very, very blessed. It is an amazing gym with great coaches and I fear in the US we'd be costed out of this sport at an early stage.

Gymdog, It's only one private a week and one or two rec classes, but still...can't hurt to look around and find out more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back