He Kexin Olympic bar champ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxyFef_9WKs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxyFef_9WKs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Watch this training video of He Kexin of China. Her routine has the most difficulty in a competed routine. She has scored 16.8 with it. Will she be the gold medal winner in Beijing?

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxyFef_9WKs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxyFef_9WKs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Watch this training video of He Kexin of China. Her routine has the most difficulty in a competed routine. She has scored 16.8 with it. Will she be the gold medal winner in Beijing?

Is that the right video? That's not training...that is competition. Chinese Nationals?

You could be right. My brain was not on full power when I posted it last night.

Whichever it is, it is still an amazing routine.:)

Last edited:

WOW!

Without knowing much about her, it seems she is quite a competitor :D

She scored 17.3 at Chinese Nationals. She's rumored to be only 14, so that would help explain why she looks so tiny.

She will be in Beijing. Whether she should be is another question. Some people believe that age falsification is widespread on the Chinese team, but I don't suppose we'll really ever know for sure. Up until this year, He Kexin was widely reported in the media and on websites as being born in 1994, then her date of birth suddenly became 1992.

I was just reading some of the controversy surrounding her age... you're right it sounds as if we will never know if her "current" age is indeed untrue. All we can do is hope that China has been truthful.

Wow that release sequence was incredible! Is it just me or does she kip funny though? She seems to stick her stomach out :s Maybe its just the angle.

The age controversy thing is far from new in gymnastics. In other sports there will be 13 year old competing at the Olympics. FIG decided a few years a go to put the cap on it at 16 for the Olympics.

Is it fair? Perhaps their age should be set by the Olympic committee for all sports. But, regardless of that, in a country like China where paperwork can be done and redone, these things happen and will always happen. It's not as though He Kexin is going to argue that she is younger. Just think how many Us juniors would love to be on their way to the Olympics.

Her bars is a thing of beauty and an amazing level of skill. Should the Olympics be a competition of the best gymnasts in the world, not merely the best over a certain age.

Then there is the argument that no age limit would push coaches to push girls too young, and therefore damage them during vital growth periods.

I really don't know which argument makes the most sense. But, I imagine we will see her, Nastia and Beth Tweddle battle over the bar title. Awesome!;)

Many of the Chinese girls look young and prepubescent, heavy training schedules and controlled diet may be an issue. Most of them attend sports school from a very young age. Though how many large Chinese people do you know? Most of the of Chinese descent friends I have are petite and svelte, that could be stereotyping, but within ethnicities certain body types do exist. We all know that China does screen very heavily for certain body types before they begin to even train for gymnastics. It just isn't like that in North America.

I think the battle between the US and China is beginning now. Both very strong teams, but with very different philosophies. Should make for a very exciting Olympics.

Last edited:
The age controversy thing is far from new in gymnastics. In other sports there will be 13 year old competing at the Olympics. FIG decided a few years a go to put the cap on it at 16 for the Olympics.

Is it fair? Perhaps their age should be set by the Olympic committee for all sports. But, regardless of that, in a country like China where paperwork can be done and redone, these things happen and will always happen. It's not as though He Kexin is going to argue that she is younger. Just think how many Us juniors would love to be on their way to the Olympics.

Her bars is a thing of beauty and an amazing level of skill. Should the Olympics be a competition of the best gymnasts in the world, not merely the best over a certain age.

Then there is the argument that no age limit would push coaches to push girls too young, and therefore damage them during vital growth periods.

I really don't know which argument makes the most sense. But, I imagine we will see her, Nastia and Beth Tweddle battle over the bar title. Awesome!;)

Many of the Chinese girls look young and prepubescent, heavy training schedules and controlled diet may be an issue. Most of them attend sports school from a very young age. Though how many large Chinese people do you know? Most of the of Chinese descent friends I have are petite and svelte, that could be stereotyping, but within ethnicities certain body types do exist. We all know that China does screen very heavily for certain body types before they begin to even train for gymnastics. It just isn't like that in North America.

I think the battle between the US and China is beginning now. Both very strong teams, but with very different philosophies. Should make for a very exciting Olympics.

I saw many of the issues related to age & FIG, and have actually been following it for some time with interest. Not much we can do when the country really wants it to happen regardless of age - seems they will allow it for a win.

I personally am a believer the WAG Olympic age should be lowered. The level of difficulty is already there for the JR's anyway. Many compete the same difficulty as the SR's already. Since other sports allow it, why not gymnastics... its not like Olympic swimmers/divers etc grow up to swim/dive professionally either LOL. Well just my .02.

I am excited to see the battle as well!!!!!:D

Yes, it should be a truely exciting event final in Beijing.....maybe the most exciting........

No matter of how old she might be, that routine of He Kexin is indeed amazing. I saw it live in Cottbus this year, and everyone was pretty much amazed seeing it.

well, that is amazing that she scored a 17.3! she shouldn't be in beijing if she is 14. it's so unfair. but unless she gets injured or burned out, she can be even better for the next olympics...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back