DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aussie_coach

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Just a few quick questions, I'd like to get an idea of different parents opinions.

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child?

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training?

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training?

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now?

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)?

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training?

7. What do you like best about your club?

After watching gymnastics on TV my 2 year old began trying to tumble all over the house. She was so cute.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training?
We started out in a community center program one day a week in our neighborhood. After doing that for a year we looked for a more structured program. We chose a gym that was close to our home and she began to love gym even more. It was great socialization for her, and she loved her coaches.

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training?
She loved it so much, as she learned to talk it was gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics. She was so tiny it was a natural way for her to have fun and exercize.

It is part of her life. She still loves it, and wants to go to practice. She is now at the point of learning the big tricks, and I can't believe that my dd will be doing the things that we watched the "big girls" do for so many years. Since we moved 5 years ago she has been with the same coaches. They are like family. The girls she is with are the same girls she started with, her best friend is a gym buddy, they aren't in the same level but they are together whenever they aren't at school or gym.

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)?
She loves the training especially in the off season when they are learning new skills. The only time she ever gets bored is in season when they work routines day after day. But that is balanced by the love she has for competition. She seems pretty typical of the girls who stick with the sport.

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training?
She has already deveolped great confidence in herself, and a love for performance. She has developed great study habits, and has learned to take responsibility for completing projects on time. She has learned to be a supportive teammate while still performing as her own highest level. She has empathy for those who my have a bad day, and is a caring person, one of the things that make me proudest.

And honestly she is in great shape, at an age when so many of the kids become addicted to video games and computers, she is active all the time. When not in the gym she is riding her bike or playing basketball with her sister.

Our club is family owned. The headcoach is also the owner, and a parent, he has two daughters in the program. He has a very talented level 10 and a up and coming level 5. Although both girls are in the classes, he treats all the girls fairly and his daughters are great team players and wonderful girls. His wife runs the office and they are both involved in a positive way in the parents club. The coaches that she has now as an optional are the same coaches she had when she started pre-team, they are involved from the beginning with the growth of the girls. As for the parents we all get along for the most part, and my best friend I met at the gym after we moved. My youngest also does rec and that program is just as good, and they have a dance studio also run by a family member, so we are there 6 days a week. I always laugh that I am glad they are closed on sundays because at least I know there is one day we don't have to go to the gym.

I can't wait to see what other parents have to say. Great questions! Sometimes something like this can really make you think.

Back when she was about 3, I wanted something fun for her to do. I found a little tumble tots class at the community center and she absolutely loved it.

Right after the tumble tots class, we moved to a different state. We decided to put her in preschool gymnastics and we wanted a gym where she could also do "real" gymnastics if she continued to like it. We visited several gyms and chose one we liked fairly close to our home that had a good preschool program as well as girls up to level 10.

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your child's training?
She absolutely loved it. She kept talking about getting on the "team" and getting to use the "big" equipment. Her preschool gym teacher told us she was very dedicated not only to learning the skills but to learning them correctly and actually trying to improve. She said she'd never seen anything like it in a child so young (DD had just turned 4 at the time). So, we decided as long as she was having fun, we'd keep doing it.

She completely loves what she's doing. It helps that she's good at it but the most important thing by far is that she's happy. And gymnastics makes her happy. It also keeps her healthy and strong and active.

That's a toss up. She really loves learning new skills and I enjoy watching the meets. The meets are fun for her (no stress or nervousness). She likes get all dressed up and show off what she can do. But, I asked her once if she liked placing at the meets and winning medals more or would she rather be learning new skills. She picked the new skills. :D

She's already gained so much. She's strong and healthy and independent. She wants to go to the Olympics and be a UGA Gymdog, which I would, of course, love, too. But, she's 6 so she really has no concept of any of that yet. She did see Shawn Johnson's picture on the Coke boxes the other day. She said she wants to go to the Olympics but she does not want to be on a Coke box. I think she might actually enjoy the sport more than the "glamour" of the sport. :D

DD's head coach is a former Olympian and a former Gymdog. She knows what it's like and what it takes to go all the way in this sport. She's very down-to-earth and doesn't make empty promises. Therefore, what she says means a lot. And she's always willing to take the time to talk to the parents. The girls on her teams are happy and healthy and strong, and as an added bonus, they usually win.

It was winter and we were looking for an activity that we could do with both kids (2 yo twins). They hated swimming so we signed them up in a mom (and dad in our case) and tot gymnastics class.

One of my friends at work told me about the gym. Her daughter had taken classes there.

Both kids loved gymnastics and were motivated to do more everytime they learned something new.

Now only my daughter does gymnastics officially. It has become a part of her life. She loves it, enjoys learning new skills and being with other girls that share her passion. I take her because that is where she wants to be and I think it is my role to provide her with the resources and support to attain her goals.

She loves learning new skills. I think she also enjoys competition if she does not feel like there is too much pressure on her to do well.

My daughter has gained so much...she is in great shape, she is confident, she has a place where she has friends that share her passion, she has excellent work ethic and is a great time manager. Her goal is to become an elite gymnast and compete on the US National Team, but she is very realistic and really takes it one skill at a time.

We were at the same club in the US for 4 years. It was a new gym so we were learning together. Everyone helped out and we made it work. The coaches were great and they knew every girl and how to motivate her and how to keep her engaged. For me it was a combination of good training and a positive environment for my dd and our family.

We have been at our current gym for 1 year and it is a little different. The thing I love most is the training and the respect that she is learning for the coaches and her peers (and the fact that she can speak pretty good Japanese now). She is in the gym training with elite gymnasts everyday and most days 5 of the 6 members of the 2008 Olympic team are there training too. Her current environment is really giving her a snapshot of what it is like to be an elite gymnast and the sacrifices that have to be made. The Japanese way is very respectful and after training each day the girls do cleaning jobs in the gym which is great since it is "their" gym. I just think the experience will make her a better person no matter where her gymnastics career ends up.

Great questions!

Because she was ALWAYS climbing anything she could find (bunk beds, kitchen counters, the backstop at her brothers ball games, monkey bars....... I wanted to channel that into something structured where she could swing from things safely.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training? she took a rec class at a local rec center

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training? she is still in the early stages so, right now it is her enjoyment of the gym. yes. her enjoyment.

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now? her love of being in the gym

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? she loves bars. She is L3 and loves to work in upper level skills, like L7 skills.

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? self confidence.

7. What do you like best about your club? It is small and the owner / head coach loves all the girls.

DDs pediatrician recommended it since dd has ADHD
It was the only one within 2 hrs
DD loved it
DD loves getting new skills.And she is close to her teamates
Meets and new skills
Discipline, focus, and fun

DDs coach

Hi Aussie,

I'd love to answer your questions.

1. I did not choose gymnastics for my daughter, she chose it. She went to a gymnastics birthday party when she was in pre-school (I think she was 3). I made her wait until she was in kindergarten (well I finally relented a month before school started and her 5th birthday).

2. Found gym through above referenced birthday party.

3. What kept us coming back is her love for the sport.

4. What keeps us coming back is her love for the sport... and my flexibility to work extra shifts when needed to pay for this increasingly expensive sport.

5. Kayla looks most forward to learning new skills and having fun with her friends and coaches. She's having a lot more fun now that we moved to a new gym with more effective coaches for young children. She's learning tons of new things now as opposed to the stagnancy at the old gym. She smiles a lot more now. That is what I look forward to the most is a happy kid.

6. I would like Kayla to gain a sense of accomplishment and to learn the value of putting the work in to get something out. Also to understand that you have to love what you do in life. If you don't love it, it becomes very difficult to do it day in/day out. I believe gymnastics is already teaching her this. However, I consider this life lesson icing on the cake. Honestly, I'm just happy to see her involved in something she loves. Oh, and the healthy physical activity that she needs.

7. We've only been at our club about a month, so this answer may change... What we love most is the organized way that they run the developmental team. They have a plan and they stick with it. They use a lot of games during drills to teach them skills in a fun, imaginative way. Also, the coaching staff is top notch. They are really good at teaching and helping a child to overcome fears. For instance, my daughter is now doing handstand flops on the vault. Her previous coach had her so afraid of vault (do to her tyrants at the gymnasts) that she was afraid to even jump on the springboard. She is now starting to "like" vault... a little bit.

Thanks for asking AC, I hope this helps you to be the best coach/club y'all can be.

Sue Z

Last edited:

All of her friends were doing dance and she was extremely shy and introverted. There was no way she was going to put on a tutu and get up on a stage to do a recital at the end of the year - so I through her in a gymnastics class instead.

She started at a small gym right by our house. It was a total rec gym - they didn't have a team or even all the equipment - it was just for fun. After going to a birthday party at a real gym she wanted to go there to learn more things.

She absolutely loved it and it gave her a lot of confidence. The girl who went through 2 years of preschool and literally did not utter a single word b/c she was so shy - now would not shut up if you asked her about gymnastics.

She still loves - truthfully, me less so. If I had known then how much of our lives it would devour, I'm not sure if I would have taken the same path. Of course she is a wonderful little girl with so much more self confidence, maybe I would. Can you tell I'm somewhat conflicted on this one, lol.

She loves learning new skills and going to competitions. I love seeing her happy.

I have no expectations. What it has already given her is enough for me. I have a really tough time with parents who place huge expectations on little kids. If they don't fulfill them they are starting off their lives thinking they have failed or let someone down. I truly believe what they hope to gain has to come from them and no one else. I let her choose her own path and support whatever she chooses.

Her coaches. They push her to her full potential whatever it may be. They don't play favorites or only focus on girls with elite potential. I feel that they really care about her as an individual and I trust them. If I am leaving my dd with people for that many hours a week - I have to trust they have her best interests at heart.

I have two girls in and out of the gym right now. SO this may be long.

Oldest was a monkey, she was always climbing up walls, on the fridge etc. She was very flexible and at 3 could do lovely cartwheels. So we signed her up for an hour week.

Youngest did gym because older sis did, she didn't take to it as quickly, but she does have an aptitude for it.

Was the only gym within an hours drive.

Oldest just loved her coaches and made great friends. She loved learning new things.

Even despite oldest's injuries she just loves to go and be with her team. She has such great team spirit and has learned to be quite confident. Now she is one of the older girls and the little ones look up to her, she likes that.

Little one is the little cute one on team, she loves to be adored at gym and she gets that a lot. Her training group is strong and she is very happy in it.

They both love to learn new skills. Youngest also loves to compete, oldest just does it as it is part of being on team. Though having said that if she had felt more successful in the last two years that might be different.

Strength of body and mind. Self confidence and tenacity. Team spirit and respect for others.

7. What do you like best about your club?[/quote]

Small club, small team. Great parents.

A friend of ours was taking her dd and we though the two of them would have fun together. We were already there when dd2 was old enough to start, so why not?

Only gym within a 100 mile radius

How early? When they were really little, it was just fun for them (and dh hated dance recitals!) When they got older, it was a conscious decision to keep them busy--to busy to get into trouble!

Nothing. After 12 years (from peanuts to USAG level 8), they're done!

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? Dd1 shined at competition time. She had more drive and determination than most. I swear, she simply outworked the other girls. Dd2 has always just liked going. I think it's probably the only thing that ever consistently burned off all her excess energy. Don't know what I'll do with that kid after next week.

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? Focus; however, I'm going to acknowledge that lots of activities can teach a kid to focus.

7. What do you like best about your club? It's pretty laid back. Don't get me wrong, when 2 of the 3 girls you send to regionals come back as AA champs, you're certainly competative enough, but there's no real "push" to get somebody up the levels "faster." In fact, our gym favors taking older girls over younger. I like that because I don't think that at a very young age a child can really understand what they're choosing. The owner also encourages the compulsaries to try other activities during the off season. I like that because when the girls do leave the sport (and the vast majority will), they're not so "lost."

oldest dd was soo shy and her friend (my bf dd as well) was going to do gymnastics and it was the first time she wanted to try anything she was 3 at the time
youngest dd was swinging and climbing all over things and saw her sister doing it and loved it! she would even show up in a little leotard and when the class was soo small she would join in with her sister and was keeping up!
so the gym said even tho she was on the young side (a month shy) 2.to let her!

2How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training?
was thru a friend we are at our 3rd gym!! now that first one was too far away with bad rush hour traffic and the 2nd one they were going no where there was no team there and youngest wanted to compete some day!! Love this new gym

the fun she was having

the smiles they have and the confidence they are getting!
and the way the gym we are at now is with the kids!

They love the new skils and the way it makes them feel and the coaches how they are soo supportive even if they do not get it!!
The love to keep there body fit! and the confidence they are gaining!!
and the friendships they have!!

the coaches and the other kids they all seem like a team! our gym is about supporting each other even if they do not do well on something!! its not how good or bad you do its about how you try!!!!

Why I chose gymnastics for my daughter she went to a tumbling class when she was 3 and I was told by two different teachers she was a natural. She taught herself a cartwheel at 4 and would climb across the monkeybars in preschool. Her friend was going to a real gym in a preschool class so at 4 I signed her up. She moved from supertots to preteam and made the team as a level 4 at 7.
She continues to love the sport. It is a really good sport for her because she can not sit still and has alot of energy. It also lets her focus on something and she does not seem to get bored.
She enjoys being with the other girls on the team and they are very nice girls. The coaches try really hard to make them responsible (they have to call themselves out of practice).
I like how the sport has kept her stay fit, I do not like her to sit around and watch TV and gymnastics keeps her busy.
If she sticks with it when she is older I hope it will keep her out of trouble that alot of teenagers get into. It would be great if she could compete in college but I do not have high expectations.
We really like the gym because it is small they compete in alot of meets they are very organized and the parent's association is great.

We just stumbled in- a birthday party led to tumble tots classes which lead to a team invitation. I had no idea that team was an option or how the whole gymnastics thing worked.

Again, it is close to my house, and we started classed there.

She loved it. At every stage I felt it was too much of a time commitment, but she always wanted to try.

She loves gymnastics and wants to be there. I see the benefits of training in terms of dedication and focus. And I know she can easily go to any other sport should she decide to thanks to her gym training. And it gives me something to hold over her head if school work or home behavior gets out of line.

She loves learning new skills, hates conditioning, but mostly just likes being with her friends in the gym.

As sense of focus and dedication to something you love. She has learned to conquer fears and to work hard (without quitting). She has also learned that she excels in many things and that there are other things that are more challenging for her. Mostly, I want her to have something that she cares about and that will keep her busy during the adolescent years.

It generally has a good balance between helping gymnasts progress and understanding that these are still children who have needs and responsibilities outside of the gym. Their goal is to help those that are so inclined to get college scholarships but not to produce elite athletes. Given that most girls won't even be around by the time they reach high school, I think this is a good perspective.

DD is petite, of russian heritage (born Kazakhstan), and people kept telling me with her size that she would be good in gymnastics. She did dance and tumbling when she was 3-4 y/o, when she was entering Kindergarten I told her she had to pick one, gymnastics won.

At first there were not many gyms to choose from, the Y or the first gym that we were at. At her first few classes there were less kids at the "real gym" so we started there.

Watching progression, seeing how much she loved it.

Cont to progress. She is now training level 4 and it seems that every practice she is learning more and more skills.

Learning the new skills and also the competitions. She was able to compete as a level 3 last year and the first meet was great. She told me that after her first vault " I wasn't scared anymore"

Discipline with time management, practice, homework and such. Overcoming fears with new skills and new adventures in life.

We are at a different club from where she first started. The main reason that we changed was that here she competed level 3, there is little time spent waiting to do a skill, the coaches are a young couple who are not afraid to get out there and show the kids what they should do. All the girls are so supportive of each other. When DD first got her front hip, all the girls stopped to watch and cheer her on. She is training not only level 4 skills, but also up to level 5 and 6 (BWO on beam), kips, front handsprings and other upper lvl skills.

Barb

1. My daughter was an extremely active toddler. So I was always looking for things to keep her busy.
2. Because she was so active i found a mom and tot class that was literally down the street. We stayed off and on for a few years.
3. Once she was older, 6 i think, she was older we actually stopped going but she asked to go back. She always wanted to continue.

Now, she still has a true love for the sport.

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)?My daughter loves learning the new skills. She likes to compete them and she loves the friendships she's made with her teammates. I like to watch her enjoy the sport and to see her work ethic. Competitions can be fun sometimes....

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? I'd love for her to learn the positive outcomes of working out. I also like the fact that she's learned if she wants to do something hard work can get you there.

Her club now focuses a great deal on the sport as a team effort. They all cheer for each other when they compete. They train in all sorts of groups not just by levels and they learn new skills through out the year not just at the end of the season.

1. My dd was always coming home from school with rips on her hands (I didn't know then that's what they're called) from playing on the bars at her school's playground. She was also always shorter than everyone else. Whan she asked to try gymnastics, I thought, "Hey, that's perfect!" Not that shorter girls don't play basketball and volleyball, but I kind of knew they weren't in her future!

2. We were living in a rural community when she started and there was only one gym that was a reasonable drive (1/2 hour away). They closed and reopened under new management in her 4th year and did not bring back her coaches. We took the plunge and started driving 1 1/2 hours (one way) to a gym in our state's capital. It all worked out when dh took a job in the capital and we moved! Now we are only 8 minutes from her gym!

3. She loved the sport from her first lesson! Her big goal those first few years was to make team!

4. She still loves this sport! She loves learning new skills, her coaches, and her teammates. Her big goal now is to stick with it and go as far as she can (she can't wait to be in optionals-1 more season, maybe less).

5. She looks forward to seeing her gym pals (even though she sees them nearly every day) and training up skills. And during competition season she looks forward to doing better at every meet.

6. There are so many gains to gymnastics. She's always had a body image problem, but she's beginning to see that her strength is a huge assest for tumbling and bars. Plus, how confident do you have to be to compete in a leo?! She's learned goal setting. She has a group of friends who share similar values ( i.e. keeping healthy, avoiding drugs etc...). She's learned to accept disappointments, wipe away the tears and congratulate those who may have done better that day. Most of all she's learned that most gymnasts don't just show up perfect; they all have to work and push hard to be their best. No wonder she and her teammates seem wise beyond their years at times.

7. We both love her coaches at her current club. They really seem to care about what is best for each gymnast, not just what will be good for the club. She also loved her coaches at her first club. They even came to State this year to cheer her on! Her teammates are awesome.

Whew, I didn't know I would be so verbose!!!

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child? it was actually something she asked to do.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training? it was offered on post at the youth center

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training? she was having fun and keeping fit

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now? gymnastics is her passion!!

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? I think it would be a toss up between the new skills she learns and the competing.........she loves both

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? to continue to develop positive traits such as self-discipline, self-respect, self-esteem, time management & organizational management

7. What do you like best about your club? actually not pleased and actively looking for another

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child? She chose it after taking a ballet class and they did some tumbling on a mat and then she saw a commercial for the little gym i think or something and asked if she could do that. LOL.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training? I didn't even think they would have kids gymnastics at that age. I looked online and found a YMCA with pre-school gymnastics. We started there, but left when they had a major (not nice) rehaul of their program.

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training? She loved it and asked everyday if it was gymnastics. She really wasn't very good at all, but she had tons of fun and was strong! I had no idea little kids competed gymnastics. Had I known, who knows.

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now? The smile on her face everytime I see her at the gym. The enthusiasm in her voice when she talks about what they did.

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? I just love watching her blossom and grow and work towards goals. She loves learning new skills. She doesn't much care about how pretty they look, but she loves learning "new tricks". :D She seems to think she will LOVE competing. That is yet to be seen. She does love performing though. She also loves the friends she has made.

I have no real expectations. Right now, she is happy and loves it. Just seeing the joy she gets is worth all the money and worry. :) I think it would great for her to learn to be good at winning and not winning. She is very win win win centered right now and I would like her to learn how to be gracious either way. I like that she sees that hard work pays off.

7. What do you like best about your club? I really like everything so far. We have been at 2 gyms previously. The first we left because they (upper management) did something very mean to the team gymnastics program, and I refused to support them with my money after hearing what they did. The second we left because my daughter was bored and teaching herself new things. She wasn't being moved up or challenged, and she asked to do gym another day a week, so instead of spending my money at the same place, we tried another. The coach saw something in her that first class and she has just blossomed since then. She is constantly challenged now and that keeps her wanting to go back.

Last edited:
Ooooh! I love surveys!!

I wanted her to do an all around good conditioning sport that developed, strength, balance, poise and have fun.

My dd was invited to a birthday party there and we liked it so we signed up for classes.

She was having fun and learning a lot of things.

We took a 3 year break to do cheerleading and to be honest, the cheer didn't offer the same discipline and attention to detail as gymnastics. She was bored at cheer and her tumbling got really sloppy. We decided to go back to gymnastics full time and now she is on the competition Level 4 team.

Learning new skills, learning discipline and the value of working hard and competing and of course making new friends.

That if you put your mind to something you can do anything. When you work hard and set goals you can achieve them. Being disciplined and having a good work ethic will take you far in life.

It is small and family-like but it offers enough competition to be challenging for the kids. The coaches are awesome and care about the kids.

Last edited:
Just a few quick questions, I'd like to get an idea of different parents opinions.

1. Why did you choose gymnastics for your child? I'm a big fan and her dad coaches.

2. How did you find the gym that you took your child too when they first began training? It's the closest one to the house.

3. What was it that kept you coming back in the early stages of your childs training? I don't really consider her to be "training". Just having fun for now.

4. What is it that keeps you bringing your child to gymnastics now? She likes to go and it's one of the few activities available for her age.

5. What do you and/or your child look forward to most about gymnastics (ie learning new skills, competitions, displays, club events)? She just likes to jump and climb.

6. What (if anything) do you hope for your child to gain from gymnastics training? Physical fitness, self-esteem, friends, give her something to focus on so she stays out of trouble etc.

It's close to the house.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back