WAG Becoming a Judge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
So this will be my last year competing.
I've coached a bit (lots of recreational and a bit of team)

I'm very interested in judging next year, I just have no idea how to go about it!
First I should get the Code of Points right?
Or not?
How does this work?

I'd like to start with just being Non-Sanctioned certified.
But possibly USAG certified in the future.

Any suggestions, helpful advice, how to go about this in general would be helpful.

So this will be my last year competing.
I've coached a bit (lots of recreational and a bit of team)

I'm very interested in judging next year, I just have no idea how to go about it!
First I should get the Code of Points right?
Or not?
How does this work?

I'd like to start with just being Non-Sanctioned certified.
But possibly USAG certified in the future.

Any suggestions, helpful advice, how to go about this in general would be helpful.
For Non-Sanctioned, I THINK you can judge (low level stuff) if you are a USAG Professional Member.
http://usagym.org/pages/membership/pages/info_professional.html
Hope that helps :)

Raenndrops is correct that the requirements are very different depending upon what sanctioning body you're looking at. I would start at the website below. I took the USAG L4/L5 judging exam a couple years ago and this site was very helpful to get me started.

http://www.nawgj.org/

I'm prepping to take the USAG compulsory exam, hopefully in the fall. So I'm right there with you in exploring all of this stuff. The NAWGJ website is really helpful, especially with study guides and basic info. Some individual state websites are also very helpful. Just be sure to check your state's over as some are not very up to date.
The compulsory COP is a good tool if you plan to judge compulsory levels, there is also a Women's COP flip chart that contains basics about general deductions as well as level specific info. It's much cheaper than the COP and a good starting point to play around, learn some basics, and decide if you are really ready to commit. You might also be able to borrow a compulsory COP from your gym to just try your hand at it before investing too much.
State judging directors can be helpful (or so I've heard) but that would probably be more for if you decide to judge sanctioned meets down the road.
Good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply coachmolly. I'm hoping to take the exam in the fall as well.
This would be my first time obviously so from what I can tell I would just take the level 4/5 (Can you do any levels lower then?)
I also don't see anything about judging level 6 or xcel?

That's a great idea to borrow the Compulsory COP, I'm sure my gym would let me sometime!

Find the number for your state judging director..it will be on your state's usag website. Call them and ask who the region judging director is for your area and for their number or email. They are the one in charge of assigning who's judging at each meet, setting up test dates, etc. That's who helped me the most in getting mine done.
4/5 is an entry level for judging and so is 7/8. So you can take either of these with no prerequisites.

You also need to become a professional member of USAG and get a background check if you are 18. If you want to judge for usag atleast. Go on the USAG website and go to women's-judges- and then there will be a button that says "how do I become a judge?" or something like that. It answers a ton of questions and lays out exactly what you need to do. You can PM me if you have any other questions..or if would like to more about the test specifically..I just tested this last year. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back