WAG Gymdivas.com

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
I was just told my daughter had a profile in gymdivas.com. I checked the website and indeed found her there. I navigated through the website and found changes to the profile can be made but by whom? Interestingly for me anyway, one of the photos in the website is a picture taken by my daughter's former coach at the gym during one of the practices. So the photo was never public and I don't even have a copy. As such, I am guessing her former coach requested her profile be included. But why? Why would she still be interested in helping my daughter's gymnastics career along? They were very upset when she left and have been mean to her at meets where we've competed against each other.

Additionally, my daughter's former teammate or only other gymnast in her same level at her former gym (currently still at her former gym being coached by her former coach) had a profile posted in the website as well. Troubling was her profile had some false information. It claimed she made L8 regionals and won vault. This gymnast never made L8 regionals, and such would have never own vault. It also claimed she competed JO Nationals when she never even got close. Some of the important information was also left out of my daughter's profile.

My questions are can anyone request a gymnast be put on that website? Who can make changes on the profile? Where does gymdivas.com get all their information? And do colleges look to this website for recruiting purposes? Should I even worry about getting the right information in?

I always thought is was the parents or gymnasts that put the profile up. I never thought about a coach doing it especially without the gymnasts knowledge.

My sentiments exactly. I did not put it up and my daughter is 12 who has never even heard of the site. I read a little more and I think they are a web design service. They offer to put together websites, recruiting videos for gymnasts. But I am really puzzled how my daughter got up there without our approval and knowledge. More importantly, I don't know if anyone can make changes and put whatever they want to put in other people's profile and/or if it is gymdivas.com that is responsible for putting wrong information.

Some of them have very vague details like meet results from a handful of meets (which can easily be found online), gym name, and a link to a youtube search for their name- often times showing totally unrelated videos. There are even a few kids on there with graduation year unknown. In those cases, I find it hard to believe the athlete or parent furnished the information. It's very strange if they get info from sources other then parents.

I actually just had a site made for my daughter on that after a couple of her teammates were on it, they also did not request it. It is not done by the person who makes the websites cause we are working with her right now and a friend of mine asked her. All I provided was my daughters birthday and pictures. I am sure you can email them using the contact us and get it removed if you do not want it.

This happened to some girls at our gym. There is no ex coach situation so the only thing we could figure out is that maybe anyone who places in a certain range at a national meet had a profile created by something. They didn't really care, but didn't remember signing anything or whatever.

I dont like it. I just checked the page out, and something doesnt feel right. If I were you I would see about having it removed.

This happened to some girls at our gym. There is no ex coach situation so the only thing we could figure out is that maybe anyone who places in a certain range at a national meet had a profile created by something. They didn't really care, but didn't remember signing anything or whatever.

If it is just placing (although I think it is more reaching a certain level than placing at meets), where do they get the photos? All these girls have at least two photos in their profile. One of the photos of my daughter was privately taken by her former coach. I've never even seen it before. It was my daughter who recalled where, when and by whom the photo was taken.

I emailed the website to get some answers. I'll see if they respond. But before I even have it removed, does anyone know if this is a tool/website even visited by college coaches? My daughter is only 12. So, we have along way to go. But just wondering. There is also collegegymfans.com that lists recruited gymnasts.

I was just told my daughter had a profile in gymdivas.com.
I kept getting a shopping site, lol.
I then did a search instead of a direct url entry... it is gymdivas.us

Some of the info is interesting... they have a page for the Senior on our HS team that is going to the HS State meet on Floor and is an Alternate for bars :) Of course, they don't have any of her HS team info on the actual site... it is on her personal page (linked), so I think she may have gotten herself on there.

But before I even have it removed, does anyone know if this is a tool/website even visited by college coaches? My daughter is only 12. So, we have along way to go. But just wondering. There is also collegegymfans.com that lists recruited gymnasts.

College coaches are definitely aware that the site exists. To what extent they use it, i'm not 100% sure.

I just received an email from gymdivas.us (not .com as a poster above pointed out). Gymnasts are definitely requested or put in by someone and they are the ones that provide the photos. Gymdivas use a program that pulls out information from meetscores.com. Errors happen when some pages/info on athletes are inadvertently merged by the program. I think they are really a web design service and use this tactic to improve sales.

Chalkowl, I just hope college coaches don't put too much importance on information contained therein and are aware that it is a very cursory research on the gymnast and can contain multiple errors.

Now, I am just curious why my daughter's former coach would put her there. Why would she even waste time and effort? Just thinking aloud.

Well it is not a great tool if there are errors, if they are not updated and if the gymmies family does not support the page.

Honestly they should be pulled or there should be a disclaimer on each page. But if I saw my kid in there it would be pulled real fast. At the poi t that I felt a page was needed I would be the one choosing that after a discussion with her and her coaches.

In some countries a website like that with photos of children on it would be illegal. No releases have been signed by parents.

I can't say with certainty, but I imagine college coaches who do utilize the site do it at the very early stages of looking into a prospective recruit. So they see Gymnast A at a big invitational and do a quick search to find birthdate/graduation year, gym history, youtube video, etc. before deciding to go the next step of visiting their gym or sending information. I doubt they see it as a complete guide to who they should/should not recruit.
As for your DD, is it possible her old coach submitted her info before she left the gym? I'm confused that they say profiles are created upon request when there have been reports here of kids finding themselves on there with no clue how it happened.

Coach Molly, profiles can be requested by anybody. As in I can email and ask for them to create a profile if a gymnast I watched in Chicago.

I do not need to be related to her in any way, or be her current coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back