NEW MOM 2 Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

tumbler_lauren

I am a mother of 2-or 3 ... =) I have a 7 almost 8 yr old step son, a 3 year old daughter who just began gymnastics 3 weeks ago, and a 6 month old son. I am a now stay at home mom with the 3. I was formerly an Orthopedic Nurse for :D 2 Orthopedic Surgeons and I loved it. I am requesting any info on gymnastics that will help my daughter to get the best out of her classes. We live in a small area in the Eastern end of KY and I have only been in this area for 2 years. I am wanting to know about what she should be learning at this age....what can I help her with.........and what are the possiblities of her competing in a few years. Also any recommendations of leotards or shops to buy gymnastics apparel for everyday wear.\

Thanks a bunch!
Heather

Welcome to The Chalk Bucket...

Gymnastics at a young age should not be thought of as gymnastics...it's movement education. She will (of course) be learning gymnastics, but she should be learning much more. Only 1% of gymnasts are competitive...preschool gymnastics should prepare your future star for anything. There are Olympians in almost every sport that took gymnastics at some point in there life. Preschool gymnastics has even been proven to increase reading skills!

Preschool gymnastics is fun, colors, numbers, letters, shapes, locomotor skills, throwing, catching, eye-hand coordination, social skills, PLUS GYMNASTICS. Make sure you are helping her with all this other stuff at home also and the cartwheels will be easy.

There is a good chance of her competing, much better than 1%. If you, as a parent, want her to compete then she will be guided in that direction. Many parents choose other sports for their kids or simply can't afford it. With that being said, guide her...don't force her.

Link Removed is a great store.:thumbsup:

new 2 gymnastics

thank you for the information.............it has been really helpful. How do you know whether you have a good teacher?
How long should her lessons last??

Preschool classes are normally between 45 minutes and 1 hour long.

Talk to your child's coach. Find out a little about them. If your child is having fun and the class is safe and controlled, then you have a good teacher. Many times preschool teachers are young and inexperienced...this does not mean they are not good. Sometimes young coaches have the most fire in them...they want to learn every little thing about coaching that they can. You, as a parent, need to help them learn. Talk to the coach after every class and tell them what you liked and possibly what they could work on.

Example of a good critique to help a young or inexperience coach:

My child loves you...she has so much fun. I do have one request, could you help her with that cartwheel a little more next week.;)

Bad example:

My child can do back handsprings and your not teaching them. I want my child to be in that other class.:eek:

Teacher

the teacher is nice they meet 1 day a week for 1hr. their are 3-4 teachers to each class they are fairly young ...and the owner is in her mid to early 40's who seems to be knowledgablen. Lauren really likes the class and I want her to stay interested. She was in day care for a year and really misses it and the kids ..I started gymnastics so she would have something to make up for not being able to play with the kids. I was wondering if taking her to an extra class would be over kill? I don't want her to get burnt out... but I took dance for 19 years 2 days a week for 3-5 hrs each session and I loved it.

Any extra day wouldn't be overkill at all. We have many preschoolers at our gym that come twice a week and love it. Preschoolers have a short attention span. Coming 2 days a week for 1 hour would be great....coming 1 day a week for 2 hours would be tough.

gymnastics

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to send her that extra day. They meet Tuesdays and Thursdays. She has been going on Thursdays because it is a less crowded class.

Not a problem...post some pics in the photo gallery. I'm really trying to get the photo gallery going, but no one really uses it right now.:worried:

pictures and info

I will definitely pass this web site on to everyone at Lauren's gymnastics and the parents ...and we will take pictures =)

I will definitely pass this web site on to everyone at Lauren's gymnastics and the parents ...and we will take pictures =)

Thank you very much!:applause::thumbsup::yes::hyper:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back