Coaches Always looking for more drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

I am in charge of the Rec lesson plans at my gym and we try to have a video or new drill almost every week for coaches to try with classes. I also coach the pre team kids and can always use new drills for them too. The thing is sometimes I get stuck and cant find anything new. I already look on Swing Big, follow JAO videos, Tony Retrosi, and several other gymnastics people on YouTube. I'm just wondering if anyone has any places they like to find drills.

Thanks in advance!

If you wouldn't mind posting different skills or events or even general movements that you have trouble with or want more info on, I'd be more than willing to give you the drills I know, I just need a reference point to help you out.

A subscription to gymneo tv might be useful. It's expensive, but perhaps the gym could pay? It has many videos of various skills and breaks them down into lots of drills I love it.
Also love JAO videos it's my fave channel! Mary lee Tracey also has a good channel 'usamlt' and Al Fong.

If you wouldn't mind posting different skills or events or even general movements that you have trouble with or want more info on, I'd be more than willing to give you the drills I know, I just need a reference point to help you out.

There's a wide range because we have several different class levels but here are some of the skills we work (the ones that kids struggle with and/or I don't have enough drills for are in bold):

Vault:
arm circles, handstand flatbacks (onto an 8"), handstand flatback from spring board onto pit mat, front handspring over vault, half on, handstand hops, etc.

Bars:
glide swings, pullovers, casting (no higher than horizontal), front supports, back hip circles, kips, squat-ons, front hip circles, sole circles, long hang pullover on high bar, tap swings, fly aways (we teach tucked fly aways to start). Some of my pre team kids are also working free hips, up rises, and cast handstands.

Beam:
Jumps, walks, levers, handstands, cartwheels, leaps, toe turns, turning jumps, dismounts (round-off, front tuck, back tuck, aerial/barrani), back/front walkovers, round-offs

Floor:
Jumps/leaps, toe turns, handstands, cartwheels, round-offs, handstand forward rolls, backward rolls, back extension rolls, back bend kick over/back walkover, front limber/front walkover, back handspring, front handspring, front handspring step out, front tuck, back tuck, aerials, round-off back handspring (some of the kids in the highest rec level are working round-off, handspring, tuck) . My pre team girls have a big range of tumbling from RO, 2BHS to RO BHS Layout 1/2 for back tumbling, and then we have one girl for front tumbling working front tuck, front tuck (the rest are still working on better front tucks).

I probably missed a few in there but I think I got most of it. I really am just hoping to get more drills. So if you have some favorite drills or youtube users that would be great.

A subscription to gymneo tv might be useful. It's expensive, but perhaps the gym could pay? It has many videos of various skills and breaks them down into lots of drills I love it.
Also love JAO videos it's my fave channel! Mary lee Tracey also has a good channel 'usamlt' and Al Fong.

I doubt we would get a subscription. Our gym is a small nonprofit gym and we are working on trying to build a bigger gym so that would be something we would maybe think about later on down the road. I also just found Mary Lee Tracey's channel and have been subscribed to Al Fong for a while now, but thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back