Parents Coach to gymnast ratio?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How many gymnasts per coach at your gym?? Is there an assistant? What age/level is the group?

I'm particularly interested in hearing about 5-6yos at L2/3 because of a situation, but I'll take any and all replies to compare against!

Thanks!!

Uusually in our gym, we have about...7-8 girls on each team. My girls are 8 and in level 6. And, my 3 year old is in a pre-school class that has about 6 kids.

Our gym works on a rotation schedule with usually one coach working on each event. There are 13 girls on the team (L4) so at any given time, they're working with one coach, though there are three that regularly work with the team. This works the same way for all the teams, level 2 - level 6. Hope that made sense!

We have around 24 girls on the team Levels 4-8 and they split the rotations so that there are 6-8 girls per group. Usually the level 4s are their own group. The 5's and 6s train together. We only have 1 "real" Level 7 who joined this week, she will likely work out with the 8's. There are 8 girls total there. On the nights that the 3's are there, they are also their own group or mixed in with 4's depending on how many show up.

we have:
L8 - 1
L6 - 5
L5 - 6
L4 - 1
L3 - 10

There are usually 2 coaches w/ the L3's. Sometimes 1, mostly 2.
The L6 & 8 work together w/ 1
The L4 & 5 work together w/ 1.

Our gym's pretty small, maybe 8 kids at each of the levels you mentioned and usually 2 coaches.

Typically we kept around 7:1. Once we hit optionals, we could probably go nearly to 9 or 10:1 except for the fact it doesn't leave many hands to spot. I don't like gymnasts spotting each other even if it's just a "comfort/bravery" spot.

Sometimes on floor, we would fit as many level 4's as we could across. This is probably the level, where we have fewer level 3's and 5's compared to our numbers in 4. A whole army of them.

As the numbers get higher, it becomes quite difficult when coaching bars because of space issues. Even if I had 4 sets of bars or lots of stations, cycle time goes down. Bars also requires a lot of spotting compared to beam. I can watch a lot of them on floor at once as well.

Our gym goes no higher that 8:1. So far our preschool, kinder, and beginning rec classes have not gotten to that ratio. More like 4-5:1.

Bar

It is going to depend a lot on many factors. I don't think you can make a hard and fast rule as to how many is ideal for a certain age group and level. Your equipment will make a big difference. If you have 1 high beam you arent going to be able to have as many girls as when you have 10 high beams for example. It can depend a lot of the coach too, some coaches deal well only with a small group while other coaches can have a group that is much larger and make sure everyone is given attention and time aswell as kept active and not get bored.

Right now my L4 daughter's group has about 8 with 1 coach, my L5 daughter has about 12 with 1 coach, and my L6 daughter has about 10 with 1 coach.

:)

OUr level 5 team is pretty big(22 girls) right now but they are broken up into two groups of about 11 each and they switch rotations like that...
We usually have 2 to 3 coaches at each rotation.

It appears that our gym tries to stay around 8:1. If it goes above 8 in a class or on a team, then they will add another coach. Many of the preschool classes have much less. Sometimes 4:1, but it just depends on enrollment at that time.

Our gym keeps very good ratios. Last year our level 4's had a total of 16 girls and usually 5 coaches. I think that had a lot to do with our 4's being State Champions.
As level 5's, they now have 18 girls and will have 2 (sometimes 3) coaches.
Our 4's this year only have 8 girls and 2 coaches.
Our 6's have 6 girls, 1 coach.
Ratios are great.
Imat3

Thank you!

The situation is one where the L2 coach has 7 girls ages 5 & 6. One of the girls - the dd of a friend - is forever wandering off and NOT paying attention. My friend is angry and thinks they need another coach to help "crowd control" and that the group is too big for one coach.

I think her kid needs to learn to listen and do as she's told. ;)

My dd's L3 group has 9 girls with 1 coach plus a spotter. Ages 6,7,8. No probs. And my 5yo dd has 6 in her rec class ages 4 & 5 and one coach with no issues there either. So you see why I think the problem lies with her child and NOT the staff!! I've always been happy with the relatively low gymnast to coach ratios!!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Thank you!

The situation is one where the L2 coach has 7 girls ages 5 & 6. One of the girls - the dd of a friend - is forever wandering off and NOT paying attention. My friend is angry and thinks they need another coach to help "crowd control" and that the group is too big for one coach.

I think her kid needs to learn to listen and do as she's told. ;)

I would agree with you. At 5-6, a child should be able to attend to the coach and stay with the group. a group of 7 doesn't seem too much at all.

Alison

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back