Parents Give Me Strength to Keep my Damn Mouth Shut!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SignHere

Proud Parent
DD (11 years old) is getting a new floor routine this year. So, her coaches gave her 5 music tracks to choose from. While I would really prefer something more classical ( I think that just tends to be what I see the higher routines use - in general, so I think judges prefer it) all of the selections are show tunes type music.

And, to make matters worse, I had a favorite out of the 5 choices. It was not the same as DDs, and she decided on another song.

So, I told her I was happy about her choice, since she was the one who needed to love the music and needed to be able to dance to it.

But inside, I am not happy! But grant me strength to keep my Dang mouth shut, because I really am only going to have to hear this song at meets.... keeping my fingers crossed that the routine turns out good ....

and if she has a connection to the music, she will perform it that much better..with more personality and pizzazz ;)

YG is going from "Jump In the Line" to Titanium" this year! I was hoping for something different. but it is HER choice... She said that she wants to be like Payson AFTER she came back (from Make It Or Break It ... she watched the entire series on Hulu in the last couple months) - not a POWER gymnast, but an ARTISTIC gymnast... and "Titanium" is great music for an artistic gymnast... YG only lacks the following aspects of being and Artistic gymnast: flexibility, dance ability, toe point, memory, and gracefulness.

Funny you should post this! I LOVE Puma Jr's music. It's so perfect for her! And since she's had it less than a year and can really keep the same routine for the fall, I don't think she should change it! But a lot of the older girls are getting new music, so I think she wants to be part of the gang. I told her whatever HC says. I heard him say tonight he may let her if she cleans up some of the tumbling, so maybe it's good motivation. But it's so perfect! Oh well, it is what it is, right?! Good luck! :)

DD (11 years old) is getting a new floor routine this year. So, her coaches gave her 5 music tracks to choose from. While I would really prefer something more classical ( I think that just tends to be what I see the higher routines use - in general, so I think judges prefer it) all of the selections are show tunes type music.

And, to make matters worse, I had a favorite out of the 5 choices. It was not the same as DDs, and she decided on another song.

So, I told her I was happy about her choice, since she was the one who needed to love the music and needed to be able to dance to it.

But inside, I am not happy! But grant me strength to keep my Dang mouth shut, because I really am only going to have to hear this song at meets.... keeping my fingers crossed that the routine turns out good ....

yep...this is one of those times where you keep your lips zipped. :)

YG is going from "Jump In the Line" to Titanium" this year! I was hoping for something different. but it is HER choice... She said that she wants to be like Payson AFTER she came back (from Make It Or Break It ... she watched the entire series on Hulu in the last couple months) - not a POWER gymnast, but an ARTISTIC gymnast... and "Titanium" is great music for an artistic gymnast... YG only lacks the following aspects of being and Artistic gymnast: flexibility, dance ability, toe point, memory, and gracefulness.
Love the part about what YG is missing to be an artistic gymnast! Made me laugh out loud!

I can only hope DD is inspired by her show tune and dances her little heart out!

I know how hard it is to keep quiet! DD got to choose her music last year and she narrowed it down to four songs - three upbeat, faster type songs that suited her and one that was slower, more instrumental. DD had two favorites, neither of which were my top choices, but we both liked the upbeat songs best. HC liked one of them but commented that the slower song may be easier to perform to....and that was that. DD was sold on the slow one. It was so hard for me to not step in because DD is more of a tumbler and jazz dancer, not a graceful, slow, ballet type dancer. The song choice has grown on me and her routine scores well so its all worked out. BUT, all year at competitions she was drawn to watching gymnasts that have sassy upbeat songs/routines and she says she wishes she picked my first choice song. Figures, lol! Despite that, I'm still glad that I didn't speak up though because she needed to figure out her style on her own and she should listen to her HC over me when it comes to gymnastics. Luckily she should get new music next year anyway!

My DD is going on her third routine. The first one was cute enough that I could have tolerated it for two years. Last year's music was awesome and I loved it. When HC told me that she was changing it AGAIN (our girls usually keep their routines for 2 years), I was so sad. Then when DD told me it was something that has parts of pink panther in it, I just wanted to cringe.

I DESPISE the pink panther. Like seriously want to stab myself in the ear kind of despise. And the best part? HC assured me that DD would keep this routine for 2 years. Oh joy! So yes, I will be learning to bite my tongue and zip my lips and it will diminish some of the pleasure of watching her compete floor next season. :-(

After listening to compulsory tunes for 80 gymnasts at a time, I am pretty sure nothing could be quite so annoying.

And I am sure someday that statement will come back to bite me in the butt :eek:

They need to love it, to sell it. And it needs to suit them. Not everyone is suited to "classical" "traditional". And I think there are dare I say it younger judges these whose idea of "traditional"
and "classical" are a bit different.

I love all our girls Xcel music, all very different. And they were 6 and 7 when it was picked so many Mom's had a say. This year should be interesting because now they are 9 and 10, won't be so easy to "sell" them Mom's choice.

Let the games begin. :D

Even at 7 though, I left between the coach and Little.

My DD is going on her third routine. The first one was cute enough that I could have tolerated it for two years. Last year's music was awesome and I loved it. When HC told me that she was changing it AGAIN (our girls usually keep their routines for 2 years), I was so sad. Then when DD told me it was something that has parts of pink panther in it, I just wanted to cringe.

I DESPISE the pink panther. Like seriously want to stab myself in the ear kind of despise. And the best part? HC assured me that DD would keep this routine for 2 years. Oh joy! So yes, I will be learning to bite my tongue and zip my lips and it will diminish some of the pleasure of watching her compete floor next season. :-(
A L7 teammate did Pink Panther this year, and though I thought it was an odd choice at first, it was really good! She did really well with it too. Good luck! Hopefully it will turn out positive as well :)

Love the part about what YG is missing to be an artistic gymnast! Made me laugh out loud!

I can only hope DD is inspired by her show tune and dances her little heart out!
Good luck to you and your gymmie.

Glad you got a laugh out of it... so do I :)
WHen she told me that she wanted to be "like Payson," I questioned what she meant... then i pointed out that the coach made Payson go "back to beginning - the basics" as part of her transition. YG wants to SKIP that part... OH, and last night when they were holding their bad leg splits for 2 minutes, 2 coaches and I all noticed that even though she was the farthest from her bad leg split, her tendons and ligaments were the tightest of all the girls. She grew about 8 inches in the last 12-15 months (a foot in the last couple years) and tendons and ligaments in the legs didn't keep up. Oy vey! I plan to make a VERY SHORT version of Titanium so she only has a few extra artistic seconds at the end, lol.

A gymmom friend of mine is doing her best to do this exact same thing...
Finally saw the routine on Tuesday. Liked it enough, but told me she can't get past the fact that she hates the song. I told her "Suck it up, Nancy! your daughter loves it, and HC did a great job with choreography" (we're close friends) She said "I know... I Know...."
I just keep reminding her that SHE is not the one out there on the floor.

Hopefully you really like the routine, and can focus on watching DD perform, rather than listening to the music ;)

Had the exact same issue with DDs floor music earlier this year, couldn't stand it and wanted to put ear plugs in every time it came on. Just had to distract myself and bite my tongue from saying anything.

Luckily, DD wasn't a fan either by the time the first comp of the year was done, so when her HC asked if she wanted to change her music (as it really didn't suit her), she jumped at the chance :)

Well I abhor the compulsory floor music, other than the level 4 one they drive me batty (am currently suffering with level 5 right now) but I figure it is not about me anyway and thank God they have music. Can't imagine doing floor like the boys do...that's rough in my opinion.

Well I abhor the compulsory floor music, other than the level 4 one they drive me batty (am currently suffering with level 5 right now) but I figure it is not about me anyway and thank God they have music. Can't imagine doing floor like the boys do...that's rough in my opinion.

oh, the boys are jamming at their meets...it's awesome!

Our boys do their dance routines in between events to whatever music is blaring out of the loudspeakers. I do hope Uptown Funk has faded away by next meet season, unless the judges would like to hear my son singing it.

As for optional music, DD had a teammate whose music would get stuck in my head literally for weeks after a meet. I don't know what it was, but I'd even have annoying dreams with it in there. At some point, DD told me that their floor coach always made this girl do her run throughs in the middle of the pack so that she wouldn't end the rotation and leave that music stuck in HER head! But this coach also had very good advice for DD when she was picking -- the audience for your floor music is not you and your teammates. It's (on average) a 50-something-year-old woman.

I'd say around here we average about one to two different Pink Panther variations per meet.

I keep trying to sell my daughter on Vitamin String Quartet's version of "Back in Black" - but she won't bite!

Dd has a year or so until she hits optionals...but she makes up optional routines at home ALL THE TIME. She has locked on to Uptown Funk and some crazy loud hip hop song (that I don't know the name of). It totally doesn't suit her...I just hope HC gives her at least some guidance when the time comes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back