WAG Life Span of grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
How do I know when to buy new grips for DD? She's telling me that they aren't flexible (really stiff) anymore and she doesn't like wearing them. She prefers her newer ones.

I suppose that is my sign? She's had them about 7 months. They were her only pair for about 4-5 months.

If it matters, they're the bailie dowel grips - thin & single buckle.

Thanks!

We are fairly new to this, but my daughter has been using guards (grips) for around 12 months. We've just bought a second pair as she was required to take a second pair when she went away with the state team to nationals. But she hasn't actually used them yet. Her's are the double buckle ones though. I expect her to wear them in over our summer when her competition season has finished so she has two sets ready to roll; this seems to be the preference for higher level gymnasts here.

Hope that helps...

It really depends on how many hours she is training as to how quickly they wear out. We tend to buy new ones whenever the coach tells us they are needed - probably every 12-18 mths. DD finds that the Bailey brand tends to wear out faster than some others.

We've had pixies and hot shots each pair has lasted 1 year. Then they seem crunchy per dd. be aware that they've stretched a lot so resize and don't just say "my 0 fit great" and buy another pair lol

I generally just listen to my son when he says he needs new grips. If he doesn't feel safe in them, it is time for new ones, imo. The last ones he had (reisport velcro) both lasted about 8 months. His back up grips were too small. now he has 1 pair of reisport double buckle and 1 pair of Reichelsport Fabian Hambuchens for high bar and reisport double buckle for rings. Got them all in April, so we will see how long these last.

On a side note, you should always have a second pair of new grips. These should be broken in and ready to go by jan 1st (even of the other pair is only a month old). 2 pairs parents. :) Don't be the kid whose only pair of perfectly broken in grips breaks the day befor regionals!

On a side note, you should always have a second pair of new grips. These should be broken in and ready to go by jan 1st (even of the other pair is only a month old). 2 pairs parents. :) Don't be the kid whose only pair of perfectly broken in grips breaks the day befor regionals!

And make sure they haven't outgrown their back up grips or else you will be at a meet with brand new ones. sigh. Speaking from experience.
@coachp do you recommend (for boys) back up rings grips too? d has 2 pairs of high bar grips (purchased in March and April), and one set of rings (purchased in April)

Depends on the brand and how often you use your grips. I have bulldog double buckle and get a new pair roughly every year to 1.5 years. I get a new pair when the grips stretch out and I find it difficult to grip the bar. This happens around the same time that the stitching on them starts to wear thin (not so much that the grips fall apart though).

My dd goes through roughly two pairs a year. We always keep an extra pair broken because it always seems that they rip/break at the worst time.
Her coaches said she will go through more grips now that she does release moves.
Before she had release moves she went through a pair a year.

And make sure they haven't outgrown their back up grips or else you will be at a meet with brand new ones. sigh. Speaking from experience.
@coachp do you recommend (for boys) back up rings grips too? d has 2 pairs of high bar grips (purchased in March and April), and one set of rings (purchased in April)
Meh, ring grips are easy to break in. But having a b up pair is never a bad idea.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back