Parents a NC coach arrested this week...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbeam

Proud Parent
http://wncn.com/2015/09/26/nc-gymnastics-coach-accused-of-sex-crimes-with-3-children/

KILL DEVIL HILLS, NC (WAVY-TV) — A North Carolina gymnastics coach and gym owner — who police say has been in contact with hundreds of children — is accused of child sex offenses.

Investigators are now asking parents and guardians of children taught by 39-year-old Russell “Rusty” Sherer to speak with them about their interactions with him.

Kill Devil Hills Police arrested Scherer on Sept. 24 and charged him with five counts of taking indecent liberties with children and one count of statutory sexual offense by an adult. Investigators are not releasing the age or genders of the three children involved in this case.

Sgt. John Towler says Scherer instructed gymnastics, tumbling and cheerleading at businesses of his own and was contracted to work at various other places.

Officials say while Scherer is innocent until proven guilty, police expressed that Scherer “has exhibited behavior that can be categorically associated with the recognized behavior of a repeat statutory sexual offender.” For this reason, police are asking the public for assistance in this investigation.

“If your kid has been in his class, please talk to your kid,” said Sgt. Towler.

According to police, Scherer has lived on the Outer Banks of North Carolina for about six years and operated or taught at the following businesses, where he may have interacted with minor children:

Xcite Cheerleading in Fletcher, NC
Coastal Crush Allstars in Jarvisburg, NC (owned by Scherer)
Coastal Crush AllStars in Kill Devil Hills, NC (owned by Scherer)
Island Star Athletics in Manteo, NC (owned by Scherer)
Outer Banks Sports Club in Nags Head, NC

Residents tell WAVY-TV that Scherer has been a well-known and respected man in their community, and they are shocked to hear the news of his arrest.

“The rumor was that he a very, very, very good coach,” said Jim Snyder, general manager of Outer Banks Sports Club. “So this is a very big surprise to all of us. I have two children. I understand how deep this goes.”

“He was just an all-around nice guy trying to do something positive, help people,” said Vickie Macaranas, who went to the same gym as Scherer. “I just don’t get it.”

Snyder says the community is overcome with hurt and anger.

“The heart of our community is our children,” said Snyder. “We do things here to benefit our kids and when something like that happens the hurt is huge.”

If your child attended a class or was taught by Scherer, police ask that you speak confidentially with them. If the child expresses any indication they were the recipient of unwanted touching, suggestive comments, suggestive text messages or emails, or contact of a sexual nature, the Kill Devil Hills Police Department urges you to call them. If you are uncomfortable approaching children about this issue, the Department’s officers are available to assist and council you. The department says children who do disclose a sexual assault will be scheduled to speak with the Forensic Interviewer as soon as possible.

Police said that there was nothing in Scherer’s background check that would have raised a red flag for an employer wanting to hire him.

i looked him up on facebook and we have one mutual friend whose daughter does cheer. you bet i messaged her. :eek:

It is not shocking that pedophiles would choose to work with children.

True perhaps. But oh my, my thought is that every coach will now be subjected to scrutiny. That is unfair.
I am a teacher. Because of all of the bad eggs in the news in past years, I know I have to always take precautions.
But really the scary part is the number of these incidents that are rising up now. Why do people do these things?

True perhaps. But oh my, my thought is that every coach will now be subjected to scrutiny. That is unfair.
I am a teacher. Because of all of the bad eggs in the news in past years, I know I have to always take precautions.
But really the scary part is the number of these incidents that are rising up now. Why do people do these things?

First of all, scrutiny is a good thing. Taking precautions is a great thing. Protection for the children and protection for you.

I do not in any way believe the number of incidents is increasing. I believe that the number of incidents being reported, taken seriously and investigated are rising. And being put in the media instead of shuffled away under the rug in the corner.

I am talking as a whole, not just in gymnastics. Outside of gyms, people have been arrested. At least that's what I have noted. Schools in our area, I have heard of wrestling coaches, soccer , etc. Subway...
But I agree, knowing about them is needed.

we were commenting on the sadness and anger that it exists over this situation and others like it, and not being able to comprehend the mentality if it. I think we all understand why such people would work around children, though I believe there are likely many more potentials who do recognize it in themselves and choose to stay away from children because of it.

It is a sad and unfortunately long-term problem. If anything, I think things are a little better now than they used to be -- children have more avenues for identifying abusers and thus may be more likely to find someone who will believe their reports of inappropriate behavior, and as a society, we are more likely than in the past to grant credibility when a child claims that something inappropriate has happened. This leads to more arrests and more prosecutions. The down side is that development of technology has facilitated pedophilia, both through the easier transmission of materials and the enhanced capacity to make connections with other pedophiles online. Gymgal also has a really important point in that many people who have these inclinations work very hard to prevent themselves from harming anyone.

These cases are very disturbing, and I am glad that USA Gymnastics takes the issue seriously. I wish, though, that as a society we would pay more attention to what goes on in the foster care system, where children who are much more vulnerable and lacking in protection and resources face these kinds of situations far more frequently.

It is a sad and unfortunately long-term problem. If anything, I think things are a little better now than they used to be -- children have more avenues for identifying abusers and thus may be more likely to find someone who will believe their reports of inappropriate behavior, and as a society, we are more likely than in the past to grant credibility when a child claims that something inappropriate has happened. This leads to more arrests and more prosecutions. The down side is that development of technology has facilitated pedophilia, both through the easier transmission of materials and the enhanced capacity to make connections with other pedophiles online. Gymgal also has a really important point in that many people who have these inclinations work very hard to prevent themselves from harming anyone.

These cases are very disturbing, and I am glad that USA Gymnastics takes the issue seriously. I wish, though, that as a society we would pay more attention to what goes on in the foster care system, where children who are much more vulnerable and lacking in protection and resources face these kinds of situations far more frequently.
LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE...

The down side is that development of technology has facilitated pedophilia, both through the easier transmission of materials and the enhanced capacity to make connections with other pedophiles online. .

Oddly I think it makes it easier to catch them and factors out doubting the victim, making them easier to convict.

I think that is why you saw Jared take a plea so quick and Mr Sharp choosing a different option then jail.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back