Parents Traveling questions .....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
This will be DDs first year in Optionals, and I'm confused about how early to book hotel rooms and flights.

From what I understand, hotel rooms can be booked and changed easily enough. Since I know the dates of her meets, should I go ahead and start booking hotel rooms for the entire weekend? Friday-Sunday?

What about flights? For instance, we're going to the SCEGA California Classic in San Diego ... and I'm noticing a good deal on Southwest right now. This will be a 3 day meet, but I have no idea when my kid will compete. It could be Friday morning or Sunday night. Do I just wait on the plane? Or do I schedule now and hope to get a refund or transfer to another flight?
Do better deals come around later?

What about States/Regionals? Do I just assume my kid will be going and book ahead of time? Do hotels book up at all these events?

I'm a planner, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by planning too early.

So, I tend to wait a bit, but I don't wait until schedules are out. Typically, I look at booking Thurs-Mon or really late Sun. If you book Southwest, I think you can change it later without penalty..so that isn't a problem. I also look at previous years' schedules to get an idea of times in the past. Usually, you can find a hotel in the area, just may not be the host hotel or the one your team is staying at.

book the hotels early and then cancel the days you don't need once the schedule comes out. Just be sure of the cancellation policies. Some of the host hotels have a 2 week policy. As for airlines, if you are going through southwest, it isn't an issue. They will switch for free. All other airlines will charge you. We are lucky enough to be able to drive to most of our meets. But the few times we have had to, we just booked the flight and hotel for the whole weekend and made it a mini vacation.

I usually booked the weekend at a hotel well in advance of the meet, then trimmed down the days once the schedule came out. But I discovered, much to my dismay, that some hotels have recently instituted a policy where a nightly rate is only good for the original reservation, and any change in the reservation, either extending or reducing, could change your rate. This was on a standard nightly rate, not a weekend discount that required a certain number of nights. So read the terms carefully when you make your reservations. In our case the rate tripled, but I was able to find a nearby hotel that still had rooms. So I had the joy of canceling on the first hotel without penalty. I've never had to worry about airlines flights, sorry.

I usually booked the weekend at a hotel well in advance of the meet, then trimmed down the days once the schedule came out. But I discovered, much to my dismay, that some hotels have recently instituted a policy where a nightly rate is only good for the original reservation, and any change in the reservation, either extending or reducing, could change your rate. This was on a standard nightly rate, not a weekend discount that required a certain number of nights. So read the terms carefully when you make your reservations. In our case the rate tripled, but I was able to find a nearby hotel that still had rooms. So I had the joy of canceling on the first hotel without penalty. I've never had to worry about airlines flights, sorry.

To avoid this, you book multiple reservations....one from Thursday-Sunday, one Friday-Sunday, one Saturday-Sunday...and then cancel the ones you don't need , and keep the entire one you do! Two can play at that game

And always book your flights with Southwest ...especially if you anticipate any change...and even if you had to totally cancel, you could still use the value of the ticket later on without any ridiculous "cancellation" or "rebooking" fee..

With Southwest - go ahead and book now! Book Thursday night through Sunday evening, then when you know your session, you can change your flight. You might have to pay the difference if the prices for another day are higher, but it won't be a lot. I did this last year, and I think I payed something like $28 to change the flight to another day.

I've already booked San Diego and Tucson (just in case) hotels, but I'm waiting on the flight to Tucson. I suspect the San Diego rooms are going to sell out and it's going to be expensive. A lot of hotels are already booked that weekend.

To avoid this, you book multiple reservations....one from Thursday-Sunday, one Friday-Sunday, one Saturday-Sunday...and then cancel the ones you don't need , and keep the entire one you do! Two can play at that game

Love this! I had one meet last year that wouldn't let us shrink the reservation at all. I could keep the entire 3 days or cancel the whole thing entirely but they wouldn't take it down to one night. Said they didn't have rooms available for a one night stay...?

You can also book multiple flights with southwest to lock in a good rate and then cancel the ones you don't use -as long as you don't mind getting the credit back in points to use later. It's much easier to do this is you book one way flights.

I've already booked San Diego and Tucson (just in case) hotels, but I'm waiting on the flight to Tucson. I suspect the San Diego rooms are going to sell out and it's going to be expensive. A lot of hotels are already booked that weekend.

I recommend flying into Phoenix. DD competed in regionals in Tucson and the flights into Tucson were RIDICULOUS. It's only like an hour and a half or so between cities and it's more than worth the drive in my opinion.

I recommend flying into Phoenix. DD competed in regionals in Tucson and the flights into Tucson were RIDICULOUS. It's only like an hour and a half or so between cities and it's more than worth the drive in my opinion.
What was wrong with it? Delayed? Packed?

I also strongly recommend flying into and out of Phoenix for a meet in Tucson. The airport is on the south side of Phoenix adjacent to the freeway. You can hop on the freeway and be on the north side of Tucson in an hour. The flights into and out of Phoenix are MUCH better than the few flights into and out of Tucson (and you will most likely connect thru Phoenix anyhow to get to Tucson). Flights to and from Tucson are on the expensive side whereas Phoenix is a Southwest hub and fares are much, much better.

For Southwest ..... why is this "wanna get away" flight so much cheaper? I can't really see the drawbacks .... except is says that you get 'reusable funds' instead of a refund.

For Southwest ..... why is this "wanna get away" flight so much cheaper? I can't really see the drawbacks .... except is says that you get 'reusable funds' instead of a refund.
Yes, main difference is you get credit for future flight if you cancel instead of refund. Only drawback is that credit must be used by same person for whom ticket was first purchased. Still more than worth it.

I love flying Southwest. They are friendly, helpful and things can be changed easily. I do recommend paying $10 extra for the automatic check in. It guarantees that you get an aisle or window seat near the front of the plane.

Oh my, I'm experiencing the traveling questions too! We're going to a big FL meet, so I'm feeling pressure to book a hotel ASAP. I know we're driving because DH and YDD get motion sickness. I've also heard that regionals are in NC this year. I don't know whether to hope she makes it, or not! Ah, who am I kidding, I'd be thrilled to make that drive. :)

Oh my, I'm experiencing the traveling questions too! We're going to a big FL meet, so I'm feeling pressure to book a hotel ASAP. I know we're driving because DH and YDD get motion sickness. I've also heard that regionals are in NC this year. I don't know whether to hope she makes it, or not! Ah, who am I kidding, I'd be thrilled to make that drive. :)

Hey! wondering which big FL meet you'll be going to! We are going to 2 that seem somewhat big - Tampa and Daytona. (Of course, I think Orlando ones are bigger...)

I love flying Southwest. They are friendly, helpful and things can be changed easily. I do recommend paying $10 extra for the automatic check in. It guarantees that you get an aisle or window seat near the front of the plane.

I didn't pay extra, but I made sure to check in online as soon as check in opens up (24 hrs before your flight). That way you are in an A zone, and you have a lot of seats to choose from.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back