WAG Deduction for missing element - compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
What would the deduction be for a completely missing element in compulsories, for example, a missing BHS for L3 or a missing back tuck for L5? The gymnast just doesn't do the skill.

FWIW, not my gymmie.

Great question, I was wondering this myself for a skipped flyaway on L5 bars. No one on our team has it yet and it's getting dangerously close to our first meet.

It's been a while, but my memory is that its 1 point plus the value of the skill. I could be wrong, but it is a big deduction.

Do we know what the value of the skill is? Anyone own a COP? From what I have seen, for L5 with no BT, the scores have been in the 6's, but I don't know how much is the missing element vs. how much is everything else.

Our in house is Friday. 1st meet is Dec 5th. No one has them except the the two 2nd year girls. We don't uptrain. The girls didn't even start drills for them until about 8 weeks ago. They are going through the motions heavily spotted.

Our in house is Friday. 1st meet is Dec 5th. No one has them except the the two 2nd year girls. We don't uptrain. The girls didn't even start drills for them until about 8 weeks ago. They are going through the motions heavily spotted.
Wow. Just wow....
Eta: how many girls are in the group?

Level 5 bars is brutal. Do they have all the other skills solid? It is not uncommon to see 7's and low 8's around here at beginning of the season for girls with their fly aways, so without it I can't imagine… Do they just automatically move all the girls up to the next level? I don't understand not even working them until this close to the meets. I imagine they are already signed up and registered for meets at this point. I understand sometimes you may have a couple girls that the coaches will think will have the skills in time and so they move them up, but a whole team?

Everyone has it right, so basically 1.2 off, I had this deduction for 2 meets and I got 7.350-7.375. (Beam and I didn't have the back walkover) then for our last meet once I did it by myself my score was 8.400 so more than a point better. If anything they should do it with spot since I'm pretty sure it is less off a deduction.

A missing BHS on floor for level 3 is:
BHS is worth 0.60
If she misses it, the judges deduct double the value of the element:
.6 + .6= 1.2
10.00-1.2= 8.80
Her start value will be 8.80
Judges will deduct faults starting at 8.80
Same goes for a missing back tuck in level 5

For level 4 if the gymnast does a single bhs but not the double would it also be the 1.2? I am guessing yes??

Doing the skill with a spot is typically around the same deduct i n as not doing it at all. You lose 0.5 for the spot, plus up to the value of the skill for an incomplete element, plus applicable execution deductions.

Level 5 bars is brutal. Do they have all the other skills solid? It is not uncommon to see 7's and low 8's around here at beginning of the season for girls with their fly aways, so without it I can't imagine… Do they just automatically move all the girls up to the next level? I don't understand not even working them until this close to the meets. I imagine they are already signed up and registered for meets at this point. I understand sometimes you may have a couple girls that the coaches will think will have the skills in time and so they move them up, but a whole team?

We need a 36 in the previous level to move up. If you get it, you level up, to date I have not seen any exceptions.

We had a huge team last year. Half moved up.

The girls have all their other skills, they just started this one late. I'm not sure what they are going to do at the in house. It's not a good feeling for the girls.

Yes the missing BHS would be the same deduction.
Thank you. My DD developed a fear of doing the double on the floor last week. Fine on tumble track but only throwing a single on floor. We have a meet Saturday so if she doesn't do 2 I want to be able to understand the amount lost.

Her coach and I both don't care single or double right now as long as she is happy.

Thank you. My DD developed a fear of doing the double on the floor last week. Fine on tumble track but only throwing a single on floor. We have a meet Saturday so if she doesn't do 2 I want to be able to understand the amount lost.

Her coach and I both don't care single or double right now as long as she is happy.

My DD had the mental thing with BHS BHS in level 4. She would do two but only with a spot and not running into it, would only hurdle. Not sure the deduction, most meets it didn't seem to bad, even some 9.2 and 9.3 ( rest of routine must have been really good) even got a 1st place on floor at a meet! (that shocked me) But they really dinged her at state , like an 8.6 or something.

So I should expect about a 1.2 for spotted fly away on 6 also?
First level 6 meet in 1.5 weeks! She scored out of 5 this summer ( was still spotted on it but had tons of time) broke her wrist 2 weeks after score out. Most skills are back but she still needs that spot on flyaway. bars overall seems to be the hardest recovery so I don't have much in the way of expectations for her bars at these first few meets anyway, but just wondering how bad that spot would be.

I actually saw a L5 floor routine minus the back tuck score in the mid 7's! The rest of the girls routine was really clean though. I emphasize with that girl, her coach had to be on the floor and be ready to spot her on the ROBHS if necessary I figure she must have been struggling a mental block or something with back tumbling. I definitely understand all to well mental blocks on back tumbling :mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back