Funny story

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was at the gym tonight coaching a rec class of new(er) younger girls, ages 7 to 9. We were at our trampoline rotation, and it's super bouncy so I let the girls bounce on it just to get a feel for it, and used conditioning rotations. One of them is a wall bar set up, and the girls wanted to try leg lifts so I let them and stood nearby to spot them if they needed help.

During this time, the boys team works out. Now, they are boys, but they do some ridiculous gymnastics. Sometimes I have to wait when we are nearby them to speak because the class starts watching them practice vault or swing giants. It's impressive so I don't mind them watching a vault or a release move or two. Needless to say, the class has them on a pedestal.

So, leg lifts. We were using 2 of the three wall bar stations, the middle one was free. In between the boys turn on the pit bar, they were coming over to the bar to do an assignment by their coach. Most were politely invisible unless they had to say 'excuse me' but one of them decided to talk. 1 of the girls was on her last leg lift, and she was saying it may just be too hard. The boy got on the middle bar and said 'We'll do it together!" Wow, how she giggled lol! He got her to do it, and then she did 3 more with him before he had to get back to the high bar. Gymnastics hero worship at it's finest! The girls all ran together to talk about it when it was time to switch stations, so I jokingly told them they have all of high school to talk about boys. They turned to me and said 'really? we do?' It was pretty rofl, but it was cute!

How cute!:p And really so nice of him you couldnt have arranged it any better

How cute!:p And really so nice of him you couldnt have arranged it any better

Oh totally, it made her day and I got the last leg lift +3 lol! I have no idea if he even realized the affect it had on her. He was eye of the tiger matter of fact about it, but it was super nice of him. I'm new to the girls fascination with the boys team, this is the first gym I've worked at with one. I'll have to tell the boys' coach tomorrow, hopefully he gets a smile out of his boys motivational effort!

The girls actually see 'relationships' everywhere, it's hilarious. The boys team coach removed a spring from a vault board for me one day and they thought we were married. Nothing says eternal love like vault spring removal rofl! They'll straight up ask too. I told them it's a secret, and to come closer. When they did I said 'He was just being nice, he wanted you guys to be able to vault faster 'cause it's fun.' Man were they disappointed, boring stuff.

that is adorable !! And it was very nice of him. Our gym used to have a young coach (he is a college freshman this year) for the boys rec class (no boys team at our gym yet) and boy did all the girls think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. My DD even named a pet fish after him :p and wanted to invite him to her B-day party one year.

That is really cool.

At the camp I taught for young rec gymnasts, any time a girl coach talked to a boy counselor, we were boyfriend/girlfriend. It was pretty funny, because the same guy would talk to two of us consistently, and the girls would run up to him saying, "You can only have 1 at a time. You have to pick!"

Aw, what a cute story. The Level 3-5 girls just adore the Level 8-10 boys at our gym. The girls are like 8-10 and the boys are 16-18 but the girls love them. :D Kinda funny to watch... makes the boys embarrsed! :D

Thats a really great story! How incredibly sweet of that kid to motivate and encourage a little girl - Very nice! :cheerful:

As to the girls now talking about the boys - wellllll, keepum in the gym, I SAY :rotfl:

that is adorable !! And it was very nice of him. Our gym used to have a young coach (he is a college freshman this year) for the boys rec class (no boys team at our gym yet) and boy did all the girls think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. My DD even named a pet fish after him :p and wanted to invite him to her B-day party one year.

Too funny!!! I was at a gym that only had one male coach (aside from the hc) around the same age. He totally got the same treatment! The other coaches used to tease him about it! He actually got some worship outside of the gym as well come to think of it. A bunch of us coaches went to the beach one summer and were doing standing back tucks at the high tide line. I swear every woman on the beach swarmed him lol. He made a joke of it though and acted like a street performer doing tricks. The rest of us chucked pennies at him. Afterwards he told us to laugh it up and showed us a phone number he'd gotten from one of the women lol!

That is really cool.

At the camp I taught for young rec gymnasts, any time a girl coach talked to a boy counselor, we were boyfriend/girlfriend. It was pretty funny, because the same guy would talk to two of us consistently, and the girls would run up to him saying, "You can only have 1 at a time. You have to pick!"

LOL!! The girl that coached L4 with me in Cali and I were in the same situation according to the team. HC couldn't just be talking to us about meet schedules and possible workout time changes!!! When they finally started saying it out loud HC would come up to us and and say 'good morning honey!' at warm-up just to make them laugh.

Cute story:). Makes me wish our gym had a boys team too!

They are ridiculous!!! Being my first time seeing it, there's a HUGE difference in how they workout and girls do it seems. Boys just go for it, doesn't matter the skill it seems! Right as their coaches mouth is shutting from the request they're in it. Girls talk more, but not in a bad way. A lot of how they process the skill and improve it seems to involve bouncing it off what their team mates think or how they experience it in comparison to boys.

Aw, what a cute story. The Level 3-5 girls just adore the Level 8-10 boys at our gym. The girls are like 8-10 and the boys are 16-18 but the girls love them. :D Kinda funny to watch... makes the boys embarrsed! :D

haha thats awesome! We only have the elite women's team at my location so I don't get to see that! The boy's team does interact with the mens team though. Is there a boys and mens team? I have no idea if it's all considered mens despite age, so excuse me if my ignorance is showing! The higher level older guys will have p-bar handstand contests with the younger boys and whatnot if there's a bit of downtime. It's cute, the older guys will 'fall' and rig the contest.

Thats a really great story! How incredibly sweet of that kid to motivate and encourage a little girl - Very nice! :cheerful:

As to the girls now talking about the boys - wellllll, keepum in the gym, I SAY :rotfl:

I say keep 'em there too! Now that I'm grown up my mom has confessed that the unsaid worth of competitive gymnastics was just the time in the gym rather than parties and bad influences. Worked pretty well so I hope my daughter loves it. I may have to get my son in when he's older just for the ego boost rofl!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back