WAG Crop tops/sports bras

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's when the funnel web spiders at our gym try to join in that I get a bit concerned. And no, unfortunately, I'm not joking... :(

I googled this spider. OMG. YIKES! That would freak my DD out. She is terrified of spiders. Are they like brown recluses and just hide somewhere or are they out in the open?

I also can't believe the lack of AC in all your gyms! But it's way overused in the states. I freeze indoors when I visit family in Texas during the summer.

Are crop tops and sports bras the same thing?

yes and no, those stylistically are not something I like, but then again I hate seeing bra straps under tops so I am just an old fuddy duddy anyway, but no, my child will not be wearing crop tops and shorts to the gym either.

We allow our gymnasts to wear leotards, crop tops & shorts, tank tops and shorts, leggings etc but our lead women's artistic coach has drawn the line at those new ones from pink!

I think the reasoning is that it's too easy for us coaches to get fingers caught in the side panels whilst supporting. We had a similar ban on very strappy crop tops.

Personally I prefer to have the gymnasts in Leos - shorts can be gymnasts preference. I don't really like leggings but can understand why they want to wear them in the winter. I don't understand crop top and legging combinations at all! Haha

I think crop tops are different. We were at one gym where they just wore sports bras..sigh

Are crop tops and sports bras the same thing?

No. Crop tops are designed as outerwear. A girl in need of more support would wear a sports bra under one. My daughter attends a crop top gym and I have never seen a sports bra worn there for training.

When I was new to the gymnastics scene, I was a bit taken aback by the amount of crop topped flesh on display. They seemed unnecessarily skimpy and I couldn't imagine my daughter ever wearing one. But it eventually became obvious that it was just about practicality. Like wearing a leo, the girls do it with no real sense of displaying their bodies. It is just about functionality.

I wouldn't let my daughter wear the leo linked on the previous page though, even though she currently trains in a crop top. To me a crop top set is practical but something made with extensive cutouts is making an entirely different statement. There is something much more adult about peek-a-boo flesh. And wouldn't those strips down the side be likely to catch fingers during spotting? Unlike full cut leotards or bare flesh.

I've mainly seen the team girls at dd's gym wear leos with or without shorts and occasionally biketards. The coaches seem fine with shorts and biketards and I've seen a couple girls with longer leggings on over their leos in the winter, but not regularly.

The rec girls are pretty much the same, but with more shorts and biketards in evidence. T&T kids (both male and female) mainly wear shorts and t-shirts, from what I can tell.

We haven't been there during the summer yet though, so I guess we'll find out if anything else is allowed in a few months!

Oh! In that Australian movie on Netflix, A 2nd Chance, the female gymnasts were all wearing crop tops! This thread, particularly the Australian comments, just helped me put that together.

We're in a very hot and humid, but conservative (US) state. I doubt that bare midriffs would be acceptable at many gyms in my area. The cheer girls tend to wear crop tops though.

Totally agree, OzZee and Faolmor. The mind boggles about why someone thought it would be a good idea. I wonder how sales of that particular outfit are going?

Oh! In that Australian movie on Netflix, A 2nd Chance, the female gymnasts were all wearing crop tops! This thread, particularly the Australian comments, just helped me put that together.

We're in a very hot and humid, but conservative (US) state. I doubt that bare midriffs would be acceptable at many gyms in my area. The cheer girls tend to wear crop tops though.

To me the crop tops are just so normal, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with them, it really is the gymnastics uniform over hear. Hearing people say they are innaprorpiate is strange when it's what we see all day every day.

Perhaps it is our beach and swimming culture.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back