WAG New Code of Points (2017)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
FIG has published the new CoP on their website. Has anyone else had a look at it? What changes are you noticing? Let's talk about the new CoP! I'm a coach and also a judge and planning to take the highest national judging test in January so I'm already trying to study some of it.

Changes that I'm seeing:

Vault:

The start values have changed a lot! The tucked tsuk used to have a 4.0 start value and the piked was 4.2, now its only 3.5 and 3.7. The front handspring front tuck used to be 4.4 and pike 4.6 but now it's 4.0/4.2. The yurchenko vault tucked used to be 3.8 and piked 4.0, now it's 3.3/3.5. As a comparison, the Amanar used to be 6.3 and now it's 5.8. So it seems like all the values have gone down by a half point. But the front entry vaults only 0.4. The non flipping vaults have NOT gone down that much. For example a half on half off used to be 3.0 and now it's 2.8. I'm guessing our vaulters are going to head to the front handspring vaults now.

They have also added the deduction for dynamics! Yay!

Bars:

I'm not seeing any big changes. But I'm only interested of more basic skills since our gymnasts are not very strong on bars.

Beam:

The first thing I'm seeing is that now almost anything counts as an A mount. You can do basically anything but a squat on or a leg swing over the beam to a straddle sit. The harder mounts are still there of course. I like this change! Now the kids can get creative and create their own mounts! I'm so tired of watching everyone do that squat through the arms to the sitting position. The forward roll mount used to be an A but now it's a B! I'm hoping to see more these ;)

The basic leap values have changed too. Now a stag leap (dance technique) is an A and straight leg leap is a B. A split jumps used to be an A and now it's a B. The split jumps with a turn have also upgraded their values. A sissone jump is still an A. A straddle jump used to be an A and now it's a B. A switch leap is still a C. And they have added a simple cat leap and it's an A. Now you can have a jump series like split leap - cat leap. Interesting!

Floor:

They have added the cat leap on floor also. And changed the simple straight jump with 1/1 turn from A to B. I think that it may be the easiest jump out there and now it's a B. The tuck jump 1/1 is also a B. It's very easy to add these after any turning jump (like split jump 1/2 turn). Maybe that is the purpose?

They have also added some deductions for artistry too if I'm reading it right.

And you can't do the aerials anymore to fulfill the CR.

I didn't have time to look at the connection values quite yet - I'm not really familiar with the current rules either since our competition levels don't use them.

I have to re-read the CoP many more times to find more differences - these were the first things I saw and that are relevant to the lower level girls also. We use the modified FIG CoP for our optional levels.

The reason the SVs on vault have all gone done is because there are now only 4 compositional requirements on each event (instead of 5). This means D-scores will be 0.5 lower on bars, beam, and floor, so they lowered vault start values to keep the events in line.

The reason the SVs on vault have all gone done is because there are now only 4 compositional requirements on each event (instead of 5). This means D-scores will be 0.5 lower on bars, beam, and floor, so they lowered vault start values to keep the events in line.

How didn't I notice this! I must be blind :cool:

Vault:

They have also added the deduction for dynamics! Yay!
"dynamics"? What is that? I did a search and I see it mentioned several times in a 2013 USAG vault values document, but it is not defined beyond the vague phrase "speed and power." Is it essentially a more technical-sounding way to describe "amplitude"?

THIS is interesting. It also says the salto must be included in acro line, which means Simone is going to have to change one of her four passes to include a fwd salto, correct?
No idea, but Simone can do ANYTHING. :)

THIS is interesting. It also says the salto must be included in acro line, which means Simone is going to have to change one of her four passes to include a fwd salto, correct?

I think you're correct, she will have to change. I suspect the path of least resistance may be to punch out of an already-existing pass, though given that she tends to hop backwards at the end of each pass, she may need to alter her landing technique. Alternatively, she's got a Dowell or similar pass just sitting around in the cupboard, ready to be dusted off and added like an afterthought :p

I actually quite like the new COP. My theory is that reducing the D scores by 0.5 means that E scores become that much more valuable, so maybe we'll see slightly more emphasis on execution, and less chucking messy vaults/tumbles?

I also heard about, but haven't seen for myself, that there's a deduction for not looking happy or something like that. Sounds sort of stupid, to me. Why deduct for someone's resting b-face? Lol

She won't have to change anything for this Olympics though. Doesn't this take effect after the Os? That will give her time to adjust....

I also heard about, but haven't seen for myself, that there's a deduction for not looking happy or something like that. Sounds sort of stupid, to me. Why deduct for someone's resting b-face? Lol

Oh, I most surely hope not. That's one of my personal gripes about women's gym - you have to be a killer athlete, but also have to sparkle and look cute while you do it. We don't require it of women in any other sport (except the one with many other similar philosophies, figure skating), and we never require it of men. I understand that being cute may help the judges like you better, and therefore it's can be a good idea to try to do it, but I despise the idea of making it a specific judgeable item.

Oh, I most surely hope not. That's one of my personal gripes about women's gym - you have to be a killer athlete, but also have to sparkle and look cute while you do it. We don't require it of women in any other sport (except the one with many other similar philosophies, figure skating), and we never require it of men. I understand that being cute may help the judges like you better, and therefore it's can be a good idea to try to do it, but I despise the idea of making it a specific judgeable item.
This has actually been discussed at length on other threads, and my dd was directly told at a coaches clinic after a meet that she lost some 'presentation' tenths because of it....so yes, she sees this as important now.

You may have heard people referring to the IL program. I am sure the IL program has a small deduction 0.1, unfortunately they left out the deduction pages when they complied the new manual. the routine descriptions have these lines at the end still
'March off the beam area with grace and dignity'
'Drop arms to the side, turn and walk from the floor gracefully'
'Step towards the Head Judge's table and present to the Judge demonstrating composure'

You may have heard people referring to the IL program. I am sure the IL program has a small deduction 0.1, unfortunately they left out the deduction pages when they complied the new manual. the routine descriptions have these lines at the end still
'March off the beam area with grace and dignity'
'Drop arms to the side, turn and walk from the floor gracefully'
'Step towards the Head Judge's table and present to the Judge demonstrating composure'

Good thought, but it wasn't that (I had no idea there were deductions for that!). I went and looked up the exact phrase, and there's a 0.1 deduction for "inappropriate facial expression" that doesn't correspond to the music.

Good thought, but it wasn't that (I had no idea there were deductions for that!). I went and looked up the exact phrase, and there's a 0.1 deduction for "inappropriate facial expression" that doesn't correspond to the music.

My goodness. Good thing DD has serious floor music and not something cutesy anymore. She has yet to smile on floor aside from a quick one at the judges as she salutes at the end. Hopefully her serious face looks intentional for the music's sake. :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back