Coaches Course sandpaper on men's bar a good idea?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I do a lot of strap bar training with my girls, especially now that we're training new skills more often, and I know the importance of removing all the chalk from the bar before using it for strap work. Unfortunately, this same bar is used frequently with chalk during boys classes. This means I have to scrub the bar free of chalk every day with a steel brush. I'm wondering if I should follow through on an idea I had, which is to buy some coarse sandpaper so I can wrap it around the bar and slide back and forth. I feel like it would be a lot faster and more efficient, but I'm not sure if this would damage or groove the bar. Thoughts or experience?

I personally use water from the spray bottle for bars and paper towels. Works really well unless the chalk's been on the bar for a long time. Which I assume it hasn't, when you use it regularly for straps. I can't stand the feeling and sound the sandpaper makes on the bar so I couldn't do that.

Reactions: sce
I personally use water from the spray bottle for bars and paper towels. Works really well unless the chalk's been on the bar for a long time. Which I assume it hasn't, when you use it regularly for straps. I can't stand the feeling and sound the sandpaper makes on the bar so I couldn't do that.

I do the same. Water works well! You can also use a normal towel to dry it. We had to do this when boys had to use the same bar with us. Then they got mad at always re-chalking the shiny bar after strap work and they got their own bar that they changed there every time they did bars so we had to change our shiny bar back when we wanted to do strap work. Irritating for both for sure! :D

I do a lot of strap bar training with my girls, especially now that we're training new skills more often, and I know the importance of removing all the chalk from the bar before using it for strap work.

Do you use PVC tube or just cotton gloves on the metal bar?

We do not clean the chalk off our (PVC tube) strap bar. Is that important?

I can understand why you wouldn't want excessive chalk on a strap bar, but it seems unnecessary to strip it clean.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back