Parents I get to chaperone a middle school dance!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Yes, I'm that crazy!

I thought it'd be fun to be a 'fly-on-the-wall' at one of my dd's school dances (she's in 7th grade), so I volunteered. She goes to a pretty tame private school, and last year the dance she went to was mellow (according to her). I am hopeful that I won't have to do much but watch and giggle to myself! Ah, pre-teen angst! :melodramatic:

That's Fri nite. Then, Sunday pm she has a gym meet (#4 of the season). Pray for health & safety, please, if you get a chance! Two of her three fellow L6 teammates are not competing this weekend due to injuries. The injuries seem to be going around the gym lately....:eek:uch: I hope dd stays safe! Plus, dd & I have been battling this nasty cold for almost 2 weeks now. She feels mostly better but is still sounding congested and says her ear hurts a bit. Probably time to visit the MD!

Can't wait to relay how funny the dance was! I'd never go back to middle school myself...ick, what a horrible age... :eek:

Have lots of fun and giggles. My DS had his first middle school dance a few weeks ago - teachers chaperoned. He had fun. I did get some giggling in when I went in to try to find him.

two of our L6's are injured so we have had one going it alone for the last two meets and likely the one this weekend as well :(

hope your gymmie feels better

Chaperoning a middle school dance - you are a braver woman than I !!!!! It should be pretty amusing though :p

I hope your dd's cold is all better by this weekend so she has fun at her dance and does well at her meet :)

I hope you are all well for the first meet. I'll cross my fingers for you.

As for the dance, that'll be a riot, hope you don't cramp DD's style too much.

Now why on earth would I do that??!!! I made sure she was ok w/ me going. I'm not even going to talk to her, I'm going to pretend I'm someone else's Mom, LOL. I'm pretty good about laying low & keeping it mellow...

Now, I probably won't be able to resist the urge to tease her a bit afterwards. I am, after, all an evil mother! :cool:

I agree with Flippy---you're a better woman than I am!!! Have fun watching the dance---now you could embarass her by getting out there and shaking it a little:)

Hope you and dd kick the cold thing and have a great meet on Sunday.

DD2 says that to me every time we go out in public, and she's 7! ;) Keep us updated about the dance. I want to know how that goes:D I hope you and DD get over that cold. I have one myself and it's eating me up alive.:rolleyes:

---now you could embarass her by getting out there and shaking it a little:)

Woman, you do not know what you are saying....LOL! I can see it now, kids screaming & running from the building, holding their stomachs...:eek:

I think I'll spare them the pain.

But I will bug the heck out of dd after we get home :D !

Thanks, all! DD & I went to the doctor today & she looked in dd's ears and went ":eek:" ! I told her I had the same thing. She didn't even look in my ears or throat, she just gave us both antibiotics. I can't beleive dd has been doing gym & school all week, and not whining at all. This from a girl who swoons over a hangnail!

So we should (hopefully) be much better by Sunday! Thanks!

Oh, and P.S.:

DD is having a few gym buddies over for a sleepover after the meet Sunday evening (Monday is a day off of school). So this weekend, I am fulfilling my 'good mommy' time-allotment! :rolleyes: I seriously never do sleepovers, I kind of loathe them, for some reason!;)

DD is having a few gym buddies over for a sleepover after the meet Sunday evening (Monday is a day off of school). So this weekend, I am fulfilling my 'good mommy' time-allotment! :rolleyes: I seriously never do sleepovers, I kind of loathe them, for some reason!;)

Ugghh.. I loathe them as well. Last weekend, we had two of DD1's gym buddies and one of DD2's gym buddies sleep over. NIGHTMARE! 7 little girls all under the age of 10 running around my house. Good luck;)

I hate sleepovers because no one sleeps!!

And I despise middle school dances, I worked one last month (my first) but I was taking the money at the door so I wasn't a real chaperone. But the stories that the moms were coming out with were enough to make me cringe! I sat in a spot where I had a direct view of my DD and her friends, but she didn't know it!

Good luck to you with the sleepover & the dance!

We call them "wake overs" at my house. I hate my girls going on them, but I have to say I have lots of them here. All the moms, and kids, know I won't tolerate any BS, the girls get to be silly unitl the designated time and then I turn into the evil mummy with the hairy eyeballs!

The kids all know me well enough to submit. I tell them that they get one warning and then after that I divide and conquer, I have only had to put a kid in another room onec, after that the word soon spread.

My girls only get to go to sleepovers once in a while, other parents are too concerned with the girls having a good time to care about whether the girls will be able to function the next day.

But generally my house is like a boot camp.:D:cool:

Bog, sounds like the way I do things at my house. I'm just not a very fun mom! I happen to like my sleep, so there will be no messing around after a certain time. But I think it will be a good opportunity for dd to 'bond' w/ her teammates, and the few girls coming over are very sweet and well-behaved (says the unsuspecting victim of impending doom!).

So, how was the dance?? :D

Good luck to your DD on Sunday at her meet! Healthy wishes headed her way!

The dance went great. The kids were just priceless! I was assigned to the snack bar w/ another Mom whom I'd never met, and she was delightful. We had a fun time chatting and watching/chuckling over the kids from our vantage- point.

The kids were no trouble at all.

And I have a question...When did pre-teens get so flippin' gorgeous? :eek: !When I was in Middle School, we were ALL at that 'ugly duckling' stage! These kids looked like a bunch of models, boys & girls alike. I guess their parents have all invested in large quantities of 'Pro-Activ' and 'L'oreal' shampoo...

And something that I did not know...The kids know/love a lot of 80's music!!! Several girls requested that the DJ play 'Thriller' (by Michael Jackson) and then half of the kids were out there doing the dance moves from the video! Too funny...gave me a very bizarre, time-warpy feeling!

The evening culminated w/ the DJ playing "YMCA" by The Village People & then "Electric Slide". Every single kid was out on the dance floor, bouncing up & down, doing all the moves to both songs, singing along, boys and girls alike, having a blast!

And I didn't even get the joy of ribbing my dd a bit on the way home. She just bubbled-over, telling me everyone she danced w/, how she thinks she likes so and so, and how it was so much fun...

But I AM tired today...;)

I would have loved to be at my DS's dance this past Friday. It was his first dance and he is in middle school too and a 7th grader. They've had them before but he never wanted to go. Most of his friends are girls crazy and he is not but they hung out in groups and had a good time. I would have loved to been there to watch, seems to be a milestone in his childhood...first dance...and I hate to miss those. Plus they never tell you all the juicy stuff anyway about who likes who...girls do..boys don't!

Hope you both feel better for your meet this weekend and hope the injury bug doesn't follow your DD. I just noticed in our gym a couple of arm slings and crutches, UGH!

And whose idea was it to call overnighters sleep overs...THEY DON'T SLEEP! My DS (both the 12yr and the 10yr old) stay up all night watching TV, playing video games, ect...they should be called "all-nighters" or having a "zombie-a-thon" because the next day they are useless!

I would have loved to be at my DS's dance this past Friday. It was his first dance and he is in middle school too and a 7th grader. They've had them before but he never wanted to go. Most of his friends are girls crazy and he is not but they hung out in groups and had a good time. I would have loved to been there to watch, seems to be a milestone in his childhood...first dance...and I hate to miss those. Plus they never tell you all the juicy stuff anyway about who likes who...girls do..boys don't!

Hope you both feel better for your meet this weekend and hope the injury bug doesn't follow your DD. I just noticed in our gym a couple of arm slings and crutches, UGH!

And whose idea was it to call overnighters sleep overs...THEY DON'T SLEEP! My DS (both the 12yr and the 10yr old) stay up all night watching TV, playing video games, ect...they should be called "all-nighters" or having a "zombie-a-thon" because the next day they are useless!
I agree, 'zombie-a-thon' is a great term! I strategically scheduled this sleepover AFTER a meet, and it is a late evening meet, at that. I am banking on the four of them being wiped- out by the time the whole evening is over. I don't expect them to even be physically capable of being hyper for the entire night (although, I could be very wrong about this, LOL)!

Sorry you missed being at your ds's dance. Maybe another one?

This was fun & fine for me, but it's not like I'd want to make a habit of chaperoning, LOL! One dance a year (or less) will be quite enough!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back