WAG Wrist pain and bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD has had a bunch of wrist issues over the last few months. They are likely acute injuries and not overuse issues. She missed a lot of last season with a TFCC injury, recovered fully and then hurt both wrists again with a bad landing. She has rested for a month, X-ray is clear, but she still has some residual pain. Dr. is restricting her from anything that hurts, which makes sense to me.

So bars... DD says bars don't hurt, only flexion. Just curious others experience with wrist injuries and training bars. I've read some posts on this board about gymnast wrist and pain with BHS and other flexion exercises. What about bars? I'm wondering if it is safe for her to practice. Our Dr. doesn't know much about gymnastics so I'm not getting much guidance there. DD is a 10 year old level 7.

Thanks!

Daughter getting ready to go back from a wrist issue. Been out about 8 weeks. Started with BHS on beam. Bars never bothered her.

Deleted member 18037-- thanks! So did she do bars the whole time she was out of BHS, etc.?

My DD has had a bunch of wrist issues over the last few months. They are likely acute injuries and not overuse issues. She missed a lot of last season with a TFCC injury, recovered fully and then hurt both wrists again with a bad landing. She has rested for a month, X-ray is clear, but she still has some residual pain. Dr. is restricting her from anything that hurts, which makes sense to me.

So bars... DD says bars don't hurt, only flexion. Just curious others experience with wrist injuries and training bars. I've read some posts on this board about gymnast wrist and pain with BHS and other flexion exercises. What about bars? I'm wondering if it is safe for her to practice. Our Dr. doesn't know much about gymnastics so I'm not getting much guidance there. DD is a 10 year old level 7.

Thanks!

My dd started the summer with distal radial Epiphysitis (gymnast wrists). She was splinted for 3 weeks and told no tumbling that included her hands and no bars. After 3 weeks, she was released to begin slowly. She still has slight pain off and on, and she just backs off her numbers for the day. She is lv 8, 12 years old.

I'd say no bars while she's healing. Then she's going to have to know when to stop/back off. Take it seriously, it could be a season ending injury if not taken seriously.

DS was off for I think about six weeks last summer due to wrist pain (stress reaction). One of the first things he was able to start doing after having a clear Xray was swing some high bar. Since then, he's had a few flares that have caused him to take a few days off pbar support work, floor/vault, and PH, but high bar never seems to bother him.

When D had a wrist injury, overuse, the doc actually said that hanging from the bar would be good for it. It stretched it out. Everything else hurt.

Deleted member 18037-- thanks! So did she do bars the whole time she was out of BHS, etc.?
She did bars for about 3 of the 8 weeks. I pulled her completely for a couple weeks because quite honestly she is 10 and I needed to be sure she wouldn't push it. So the short answer is she did bars for about half of her time off.

Thanks!
? The Dr is restricting her form anything that hurts, Yes? Your DD says bars doesn't hurt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back