Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Margo the US seems obsessed by turkey everything (you know you can consume 3 people's food if it's 'lean' turkey and it's not bad for you? Not sure if any of it's actually turkey though, I don't see the turkey population to provide.

So I'm assuming some kind of Italian type sausage ( fennel eg type) or really any sausage you like would work.
Remember so many American recipes revolve around processed ingredients that are easily substituted.

Overall, this is probably true. Also, there are some who don't eat pork and stuff made with turkey is often used as a substitute. I personally just like the sausage I linked above, I have used other Italian sausage too but I like the flavor of the turkey one.

I was specific in my recipe as someone said that they had made lasagna soup before and it was terrible, so I shared what I do that turns out well.

I don't think most Americans are obsessed by turkey, it seems to be a small portion of the population that eats it with any regularity. (And many who eat it frequently are those who don't eat red meat at all.) I occasionally use ground turkey instead of ground beef in our "Hamburger Helper" type stuff. That's all we do. My mom makes Turkey bacon instead of regular bacon and that's the only time she uses any. It tends to be used as a 1:1 replacement for other meats when it is used, so I'm not sure where the "eat 3x as much" thing is coming from.

I think we have plenty of turkey farms to provide the demand, since the demand is not high except at Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure what it would be except turkey? It's obviously different from ground beef. And our FDA may frequently be useless or slow, but I don't think they'd allow such a large and widespread violation as turkey not being turkey.

Of all the things people from other countries believe about the US, this has to be the weirdest one to me!!

I don't think most Americans are obsessed by turkey, it seems to be a small portion of the population that eats it with any regularity. (And many who eat it frequently are those who don't eat red meat at all.) I occasionally use ground turkey instead of ground beef in our "Hamburger Helper" type stuff. That's all we do. My mom makes Turkey bacon instead of regular bacon and that's the only time she uses any. It tends to be used as a 1:1 replacement for other meats when it is used, so I'm not sure where the "eat 3x as much" thing is coming from.

I think we have plenty of turkey farms to provide the demand, since the demand is not high except at Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure what it would be except turkey? It's obviously different from ground beef. And our FDA may frequently be useless or slow, but I don't think they'd allow such a large and widespread violation as turkey not being turkey.

Of all the things people from other countries believe about the US, this has to be the weirdest one to me!!
We eat ground turkey in our home and occasionally ground sirloin. My wife finds it healthier than ground meat, but nothing beats kosher ground neck and shoulder sirloin.

I'm American and have never been a fan of turkey. It's too "dry" for me if that makes sense....even with gravy. Even on Thanksgiving ::gasp::, I get upset if there's no ham....I go hungry on Thanksgiving when there's no ham.

Now I want ham.

NO IT IS NOT!!! US Military personnel stand at attention with hands at their sides when not in uniform, even on base. In uniform, they salute only when covered in the Navy! Sorry, I trust my AD officer spouse over an Internet expert any day.
Veterans and current Military in civilian clothes may now salute the flag during Anthem. This change was very important to my Veteran (and current Reservist) spouse.

Not being snarky at all. This issue is just VERY important to the Chief in this household.

I think the difference is we have never heard of Turkey Bacon, or turkey sausages. I can understand the reasons for it, from a saturated fat point of view, especially as I have spent 6 months lowering my hubbies cholesterol, from very high to low and avoided the dreaded statins.

We just don't eat it, except at christmas really. Now chicken on the other hand, we eat loads of chicken, but our processed meats tend to be red meats.

@notthatmom , I too love ham, we have it a fair bit here, I boil it in cider and make a gravey from the juice. Christmas for us as family is generally duck.

Lots of love for Gabby.

It's very easy for me to just distrust and hate all of the media, particularly in relation to gymnastics. They seem to do more harm than good :(

I wonder how many people having a fit over Gabby and her hand over her heart run around the baseball stadium taking the hats off the fools who refuse to remove them when the anthem is played. She stood at attention. She was respectful. Get over it and move on.

Veterans and current Military in civilian clothes may now salute the flag during Anthem. This change was very important to my Veteran (and current Reservist) spouse.

Not being snarky at all. This issue is just VERY important to the Chief in this household.

The issue is MAY. Terry has repeatedly made it out to be some kind of requirement or affront if it's not done. If it were, every sailor I see at the base movie theater each week is committing a crime. I dare someone to call them unpatriotic. That's just made up BS that people use to make themselves feel good.

The issues is MAY. Terry has repeatedly made it out to be some kind of requirement it affront if it's not done. If so, every sailor I see at the base movie theater each week is committing a crime. I dare someone to call them unpatriotic.
Gotcha! Very true that it is OPTIONAL for veterans & Military in civvies. My DH just always chooses to :). I thought you were saying ONLY Military in uniform could salute (people have challenged my husband at my son's little league baseball games because he leaves his ball cap on and renders a salute instead of taking his cap off and putting it over his heart.)

Gotcha! Very true that it is OPTIONAL for veterans & Military in civvies. My DH just always chooses to :). I thought you were saying ONLY Military in uniform could salute (people have challenged my husband at my son's little league baseball games because he leaves his ball cap on and renders a salute instead of taking his cap off and putting it over his heart.)

Understood! It just bothers me when people turn options into requirements. Lord knows we have enough of those to deal with already. ;)

Your husband should have given those people at the little league games the middle finger salute.:D

Interesting...knew the "always wear cover when outside" and "only salute when covered" applied when in uniform. But hadn't heard of the change to apply when vets and active duty are in civvies. Learn something new every day!

Don't think we have ranch salad dressing packet here. What are the ingredients? (And then we can avoid some of the salt too as sensitive )
I make same recipe and never put the ranch packet, I tried it that way and didn't like it. It's a favorite at our house. Top with black olives, sour cream, avocado and tortilla chips. Yummy!

The issue is MAY. Terry has repeatedly made it out to be some kind of requirement or affront if it's not done. If it were, every sailor I see at the base movie theater each week is committing a crime. I dare someone to call them unpatriotic. That's just made up BS that people use to make themselves feel good.
What on earth do the rules for military have to do with what happened on that podium in Rio? I truly do not give two hoots at this point -- but nothing you are saying is relevant here. There is a protocol at the Olympics. And it is based on the US Code. All the girls on the Team followed that protocol except Gabby. Some people found that offensive and evidence of a lack of team spirit. Others found it unpatriotic. Others found it neither. End of story I think. But don't mix up whats required of military in or out of uniform with what happened in Rio.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back