Aly Raisman

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Major homecomings for Aly, Simone and Laurie. Simone was greeted by a huge crowd and the mayor of Houston who proclaimed August 24th "Simone Biles day."
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/August/24/Simone-Biles-Gets-Heros-Welcome-At-Houston-Airport

Aly threw out the first ball at a Red Sox game and also had a parade in Needham, MA ("Rally for Aly") which now has "Aly Raisman Day"
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/28/aly-raisman-hometown-celebration

Laurie's hometown also gave her a big welcome home with the Lt Gov. there. http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.s...mnast_laurie_hernandez_arrives_home_to_f.html. Laurie is apparently going on Dancing With The Stars this season.

Maddie got a special welcome home at the airport from WOGA gymnasts. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...s-homecoming-are-the-stuff-dreams-made-of.ece

I hope Gabby had some sort of celebration as well. While she isnt my fave, she also accomplished something very special and very rare.

I hope Gabby had some sort of celebration as well. While she isnt my fave, she also accomplished something very special and very rare.
Well, if there was something there was zero publicity about it. So I doubt there was.I do not want to get into Gabby bashing, I intended this as a positive thread, so I will say nothing more.

I'm not sure Gabby has a real "hometown". Now that the camps have been in place for so long, less gymnasts are leaving home to train far away ( not none). The rest all have been in their home gyms since they were little except Simone and she never moved away from home.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Gabby has a real "hometown". Now that the camps have been in place for so long, less gymnasts are leaving home to train far away ( not none). The rest all have been in their home gyms since they were little except Simone and she never moved away from home.
well, that's true. and that is for sure part of it. But realistically, there could have easily been something in Ohio where Buckee is, or in LA where she has been living.

I'm not sure Gabby has a real "hometown". Now that the camps have been in place for so long less gymnasts are leaving home to train far away ( not none). The rest all have been in their home gyms since they were little except Simone and she never moved.

Yeah, I can see that. It is too bad because they all deserve to be celebrated. I suppose she doesnt really have a reason to even come back to Columbus. I don't know if she will continue to train at all or at Buckeye if she does. I haven't seen anything in the local paper to indicate that she came to Ohio. There are tons of local gyms. I am sure Buckeye could put together a pretty big crowd if she were to come to Columbus.

Part of the problem with Buckeye is that she chose a shorter term coach to take to the Olympics instead of a long time Buckeye coach Kittia. There could have been something, somewhere to celebrate her homecoming but she doesn't seem to have a community. That's sad but no one is obligated to claim her so they didn't.

News today is that Gabby was and is hospitalized with an infection.

. I am sure Buckeye could put together a pretty big crowd if she were to come to Columbus.

I'm sure they could too and there was some mention on line that she missed closing ceremonies because she "was starting classes at Ohio St"...Ohio St is having a big celebration for their returning Olympians (past or present students included) so she could have been included there but I don't think she has that "connection" anywhere anymore and that's pretty sad.....if she had left on better terms from Excalibur , I'm sure they would have been reveling in her success , much like Aly's original gym (Exxcell in MA) does ...they all wear Tshirts supporting her , hold watch parties and are proud that she started there...

I'm sure they could too and there was some mention on line that she missed closing ceremonies because she "was starting classes at Ohio St"...Ohio St is having a big celebration for their returning Olympians (past or present students included) so she could have been included there but I don't think she has that "connection" anywhere anymore and that's pretty sad.....if she had left on better terms from Excalibur , I'm sure they would have been reveling in her success , much like Aly's original gym (Exxcell in MA) does ...they all wear Tshirts supporting her , hold watch parties and are proud that she started there...

Except that she hasn't started classes at Ohio St., is apparently in NY, and says she is returning to LA. and is planning on going on the Kellogg's Tour.

Most towns or cities would be thrilled to "claim" an Olympian as their own. But Gabby excels at burning her bridges, for which I believe she has no one but herself and her mother to blame.

Except that she hasn't started classes at Ohio St., is apparently in NY, and says she is returning to LA. and is planning on going on the Kellogg's Tour.

I know she hadn't started classes yet but OSU loves their athletics and loves OSU connected to winning olympic gold and if Gabby wanted to be part of that celebration, I'm sure they would've accommodated her, even if it meant putting a * by her name saying "new student fall 2016"....my point in my comment is that her connection with any town, school or gym that would host something like this on her behalf just doesn't seem to be there ....and that seems kinda sad...

I know she hadn't started classes yet but OSU loves their athletics and loves OSU connected to winning olympic gold and if Gabby wanted to be part of that celebration, I'm sure they would've accommodated her, even if it meant putting a * by her name saying "new student fall 2016"....my point in my comment is that her connection with any town, school or gym that would host something like this on her behalf just doesn't seem to be there ....and that seems kinda sad...

It might seem sad to some of us but maybe it doesn't bother Gabby. She's exceedingly introverted (I noticed that when Zac Effron surprised the girls she was the only one who didn't go up and hug him) and maybe she didn't want a town celebration. We should stop projecting or comparing her to the other girls because her personality is so different.

Was anything done for her in Iowa back in 2012?

My point about OSU was that I don't think Gabby is actually enrolled as a student there or has any real connection. I do not think she is actually going to school there.

It might seem sad to some of us but maybe it doesn't bother Gabby. She's exceedingly introverted (I noticed that when Zac Effron surprised the girls she was the only one who didn't go up and hug him) and maybe she didn't want a town celebration. We should stop projecting or comparing her to the other girls because her personality is so different.

Was anything done for her in Iowa back in 2012?
She took part in the Iowa Olympians homecoming in 2012. https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=10653&prog=h

I didn't mean for this to turn back into a Gabby hating thread. I was just saddened to see that perhaps she isn't being celebrated in the same manner as the rest of the Final Five.

A lot of young athletes (even young adults) have adults giving them terrible advice. Unfortunately it can have serious consequences. I hope that Gabby can strike out on her own and succeed.

I didn't mean for this to turn back into a Gabby hating thread. I was just saddened to see that perhaps she isn't being celebrated in the same manner as the rest of the Final Five.

To be perfectly clear here, my comments about there not being any celebration or parade etc for Gabby was not a "Gabby hate" or "projecting" anything about her personality, it was simply an observation that it seemed sad to me that an athlete, like Gabby, who won her second Olympic gold medal , was not having similar homecoming festivities like many other Olympians, period.

It is sad. It's also sad that she did not get to go to the VMAs. What an amazing experience for the team. They looked like they had a blast!

It is sad. It's also sad that she did not get to go to the VMAs. What an amazing experience for the team. They looked like they had a blast!

She was the only one who left before the closing ceremonies too. I thought that was odd. (just an observation, not a comment on Gabby). I do agree it's sad she was ill and missed the VMAs.

Part of the problem with Buckeye is that she chose a shorter term coach to take to the Olympics instead of a long time Buckeye coach Kittia. There could have been something, somewhere to celebrate her homecoming but she doesn't seem to have a community. That's sad but no one is obligated to claim her so they didn't.

News today is that Gabby was and is hospitalized with an infection.

Well Buckeye had some sort of going away to Rio thing for her after trials and then Kittia has tweeted stuff about it. So I'm not sure that's the full reason. I think Kittia is willing to suck it up and milk it for what it's worth for the gym (and I'm not saying that negatively, I 100% think that's what she should do). Not sure why Gabby left earlier though because that didn't seem planned. She did seem to be in better spirits after a few days, like the interview where they were trying to name the dog (?), she got really into it.

Well Buckeye had some sort of going away to Rio thing for her after trials and then Kittia has tweeted stuff about it. So I'm not sure that's the full reason. I think Kittia is willing to suck it up and milk it for what it's worth for the gym .

I am actually not so sure about that. There is lots of talk about Kittia being unhappy about Gabby and Christian's relationship, calling in "inappropriate" and Kittia is clearly angry about being kicked to the curb after getting Gabby into shape for the Olympics. But beyond any of the Buckeye drama, there really does seem to be something odd going on with Gabby these days. Leaving Rio early saying she had to be in school in Ohio, but she is not enrolled in school there or anywhere else; skipping the MTV awards with vague and contradictory reasons -- bad reaction to pain killers, infection from a previous mouth injury, picture of Gabby in bed in a hotel room -- what mouth injury? What hospital? Then having a cyst removed from a bone in her mouth ? and that frankly odd picture of her in a dentist's chair , but the equipment is all covered in plastic and not one instrument on the tray and all we see of the other person in the picture is a pair of jeans, a white coat and sneakers that look just like Gabbys. Sorry -- but this is all really odd.

I have never been a Gabby fan, but I am actually worried about her. Nothing she has said or done since Rio adds up and I'm just wondering what is going on.

I am actually not so sure about that. There is lots of talk about Kittia being unhappy about Gabby and Christian's relationship, calling in "inappropriate" and Kittia is clearly angry about being kicked to the curb after getting Gabby into shape for the Olympics. But beyond any of the Buckeye drama, there really does seem to be something odd going on with Gabby these days. Leaving Rio early saying she had to be in school in Ohio, but she is not enrolled in school there or anywhere else; skipping the MTV awards with vague and contradictory reasons -- bad reaction to pain killers, infection from a previous mouth injury, picture of Gabby in bed in a hotel room -- what mouth injury? What hospital? Then having a cyst removed from a bone in her mouth ? and that frankly odd picture of her in a dentist's chair , but the equipment is all covered in plastic and not one instrument on the tray and all we see of the other person in the picture is a pair of jeans, a white coat and sneakers that look just like Gabbys. Sorry -- but this is all really odd.

I have never been a Gabby fan, but I am actually worried about her. Nothing she has said or done since Rio adds up and I'm just wondering what is going on.

You need to stop. I don't buy that you are "worried" about her any more than it gives you something to gossip about. Repeating some "lots of talk" innuendo about a coach/athlete relationship is beyond the pale, and not what this site is about (at least I thought). Is this seriously what this site has become?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back