Off Topic Obama is the next president of the usa!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm thrilled!!!

Apparently my neighbors all are too...people are out partying in the streets LOL. Cars going by honking the horns and everything.....

All that being said, John McCain ran a decent campaign, and the fact that he did so well despite being from the same political party as the president with the worst approval ratings in modern history is pretty impressive. I certainly have nothing against him, but I am glad the election turned out the way it did.

I hope Obama will be able to reach out to McCain supporters and try to unite this country. We are one America. One of the things I disliked about Bush's style is that he seemed to be very divisive. Obama has a very tough job ahead of him. But I think he is up for the challenge. Hopefully he will bring a different style of leadership and change to Washington, which seems to be what the majority of Americans want.

I agree with everything that Mike has said.

I'm thrilled with the results as well, but have respect for both candidates. I just think that there is a need for change and can't wait to see what is next to come for America. Both made wonderful speeches tonight and although I was a bit saddened by all the booing from the republican side of it, I understand that they were upset. I just hope that both parties can work together to make America be the best country it can be.

Congratulations Obama

I'm extremely happy, and McCain's speech was quite impressive... I have to wonder if the results would have been different if he had run a more positive campaign.

Now if Indiana would just find the last 3% of votes, I could go to bed... I am not missing the opportunity to take a picture of the TV if Obama wins IN!

i am sooooo excited. my state (colorado) did such a good job. we voted for a democratic senator, for obama and against an ammendment that would have taken rights away from women.

i'm so proud to be an american now!!! my older brother is a legislative director in DC for a democratic new england senator and he just texted me and said everyone is going wild.

YAY!!!

I'm extremely happy, and McCain's speech was quite impressive... I have to wonder if the results would have been different if he had run a more positive campaign.

Or just like, a more organized one. Because I was going to say I think John McCain is a decent person, but I wouldn't say that was a particularly good campaign. In fact it seems to have been fatally flawed towards the end. I'm waiting for the tell-all anyway. Ultimately I think he had a lot more potential but the grand scheme of circumstance kind of favored Obama and the Obama campaign was exceptionally well executed. Obama said awhile ago "this is a moment that will define a generation" and I think he's absolutely right in that four decades after the fated 1968, we are on the verge of a historic power shift. This was pretty key.

Four years ago was disappointing, but it was just the first step in the chain of events that ended with Barack Obama being elected the president of the United States. And I'm pretty happy today.

Awesome post Mike!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!! Whether it was McCain or Obama or ANYONE who won, their job for the next 4 years is probably going to be one of the tougest this country has seem in many years. This country NEEDS change and needs to be UNITED. Hopefully Obama can bring this country together.

Not happy at all democrates now rule house,senate and president I am personally very worried.My opinion.

As a conservative, I am devastated. I think that we have taken a hard left down a dead end road. More to the left is not going to fix the problems the USA is having.

The idea of Nancy Pelosi having free reign of congress with no one to keep her check absolutely terrifies me. I would really love to believe that Obama could unify this country - but unfortunately I don't think it will happen. I really think we needed someone more moderate to be able to that. No one to the far left or far right can be truly bi-partisan. Obama is to the far left - as are the leaders in the Senate and Congress right now. I think that is a recipe for disaster that will further polarize the country - of course I pray to God that I am wrong about that.

To our future Pres: Please, just get us out of this financial mess we are in...! Not sure the Democratic way of running things can do that, but, we have to hope.

i just want to add that party of why i'm really excited about obama is for his stance on disability issues. he's the first president who wants to put qualified individuals with disabilities in positions of power (no other president has indicated wanting to appoint qualified Deaf people before, even on Deaf issues!). he understands the Deaf community and other "disability" groups, doesn't lump us all together as "special needs" and understands what each group needs to be more productive. he's going to help enable us, not just barely provide. i think that is so awesome beyond belief.

also my mom is also a teacher (special ed teacher in a public school that's over half esl to boot lol) and she believes his stance on education is so much more benefitial than mccain's was. i could go on and on for the same reasons that most people support obama, but those are two that usually aren't brought up.

Here is the young people's take on why Obama got our support. From me and my friend who is a political science major at Yale:

He said that Obama's campaign did a GREAT job reaching out to young people. They were able to connect with Obama and with other Obama supporters using facebook and myspace and other hip cool ways. Because they able to meet up with other people who shared similar beliefs and was able to attend campaign activities, the young generation felt much more connected to the campaign and much more part of the process then they had in the past. Several of my friends even gave money to the campaign and volunteered to help make phone calls and knock on doors once they saw that all they had to do was click some links on myspace and meet up with other people who want to help out too. Everyone was so touched by that experience and they felt that they would be letting their new fellow Obama supporter friends down if they didn't vote on election day. It added a new personal effect to the campaign which got people out voting and voting for Obama. McCain though, he admitted that he doesn't even use computers or e-mail. How the heck can any young person who grew up with IM's and websites and e-mail and Myspace feel like they have any connection to someone who is so out of touch with the our generation works? Not only that, but the Republican party has the image of being exclusive of anyone who is different then the steriotypical Republican, which most HS kids and college kids don't fit in to. Are they really exclusive? Of course not. But sometimes image is more important then fact. The democrats have tried to be as inclusive as possible, with getting a lot of new people involved in the political process who have never been in before, including many groups of people who were traditionally disenfranchised. I really think the Republican party needs to adapt their campaigns and their platform to the times. Because the next time we vote for a president, the 14 to 17 year old kids of today will be voting for the first time. And we expect that the political candidates are going to connect with us in ways that we understand and like, and we expect that they will include us in the political process if they want our vote. And if only 1 party seems appealing to the young people of America, it's the other party's loss, they can write us off but we won't pull their lever in the voting machine.

And PS: Thank you to my AP US History teacher for teaching us how to think critically and write our thoughts out and got us excited about this election! As you can see, I'm still writing these essays even when I don't have to! Not that you'll ever read this...lol.

And PPS: Please give Obama a chance no matter what your political affiliations are. He is only trying to do what he thinks is best for America, and afterall, he was elected by the majority of the America. voters.

Last edited by a moderator:
America wanted a king and they got it. America is going to see a rise from this financial crisis and things look like they will get better, but they will fall again. It would have been bad if it was McCain/Palin because America doesn't expect much from them, but it will be worse because it is Obama/Biden because America expects so much from them. I am disappointed that McCain did not win, but America got what they wanted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back