Parents Learning Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
My DD started level 2 (pre-team) class in September. This week they started teaching the level 3 routines (at least the floor routine). What is the usual timing for starting to learn the next level routine? Since they don’t compete at level 2 I'm guessing they aren't going to learn the level 2 routines.

I don’t want to ask the coach but could this be a sign that he thinks some/most of them are ready to move up?

Thanks

Dd is level 4 and their first meet is in Jan. They are still learning choreo for floor. So in our case, the timing is last minute. [emoji12]. Could they be learning it for a showcase? Our gym teaches the rec girls the level 2 routine for a showcase every year.

Our girls start learning their JO routines, in summer, inhouse meet to baseline them end of Sept, first meet end of Oct.

Their optional routines for IGC season. Jan, first meet in Feb.

Please keep in mind, my kid has been doing routines for 4 plus years, so it goes quicker now.

L2/L3 the learning curve was longer. It just takes longer because its completely unfamiliar.
Back then it took them a while to really understand what a "routine" was. Things like, yes you must keep going. Yes you need to start and end at a certain spot. The little stuff they don't think about now that they are not "new"

We move girls up to team in April. The new girls work on the skills in the routines the entire first month. They also start learning parts of the routines in April - June.
We have the onto of July off (except for rec camp, which the new team members are encouraged to attend). At rec camp, the new team girls are in a group of their own and they finish learning the floor and beam routines from Monday-Thursday for a Showcase on Friday (although they don't necessarily do the BHS and can do a lever instead of handstand on beam… plus leave out any skill they aren't ready to do).

Girls who have been on team spend April - June training next progression skills. They also play around with the next level routines (compulsory).
If they are already Optionals or moving to Optionals, they start thinking about music and skills they want in their routines.

My daughter is a level 2 preteam and she started learning the components of the level 3 routines back in September or so. At this point she knows the entire floor routine (not officially practiced start to finish), the bars routine (which HAS been officially practiced start to finish), and bits and pieces of the beam routine. And of course the vault part is easy. Learning the routines is not a guarantee at our gym that the girls will move up. I think it's more a combination of teaching the skills and an assessment to see if they can pick them up/how they look, etc.

DD started competing at L4 & learned the routes 2-3 weeks before the first meet.

I wouldn't read too much into her learning the routines. I've come to learn to not anticipate anything. It's not fact until I get written notice.

DD started competing at L4 & learned the routes 2-3 weeks before the first meet.

I wouldn't read too much into her learning the routines. I've come to learn to not anticipate anything. It's not fact until I get written notice.
This

Our compulsory season is in the fall. When DD was on pre-team, they started learning the Level 3 routines about a year before they were going to compete them. So she started learning them in Sept-Oct., officially moved to Level 3 Team in January, and had her first Level 3 competition at the end of August. And I agree with the others, they started earlier with Level 3. With Level 4 and 5 they work on skills from January -May, and then start working routines for the fall season in June.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back