WAG Odd Question about Lock-In and $

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You should absolutely take this up with the business manager -- not the HC. It's great that you have someone in that position. They are legally obligated to pay you for any time you are asked to be there and are doing any sort of work-related activity. And if they don't, document everything that has been said and head for your state's labor board with a complaint. And any gym out there who are expecting their hourly staff to supervise this or any other activity needs to be paying as well. And yes, if you stay overnight that is regular time for the first 8 hours and overtime after that. It is not "voluntary", it is work and must be paid.

I am writing from the point of view of an employment attorney. All non-exempt employees should be paid through 9:30, the time that HC said you are expected to be there. All non-exempt employees staying after (;30 (including spending the night) should be paid for that time as well, unless the non-exempt employee is also a parent who has clearly volunteered his/her time as a parent, not as a coach, and will have no responsibilities greater than any other parent.

Thanks all for the replies! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of them. I thought it was an odd thing for HC to say so that's why I asked. Wondering if this was a common things in other gyms or the workplace in general. I'm happy I asked as a lot of you brought up some great points.

While HC made it out to be a "volunteer" type event, it is definitely expected that we are there and it would look pretty bad if none of us showed up. And we will still be doing work related activities as I explained previously. This is not a parent-run event. Parents just drop their kids off and pick them up in the morning, except for the few parents that are coming in late and staying overnight with HC.

I bought this up to the other hourly team coach, to see if she had any issue with it. She was completely on the same page with me, but didn't want to speak up as she thought it was a standard practice. We will for sure bring this up in our meeting this week, and if all fails, bring it up to the business manager.

Our hours are already going to be short this holiday season as our gym is taking several days off for Christmas and then several more days off for the New Year...so we are already losing $. Not that we're in this job for the money, lol. But ya know, we have presents to buy, too. And taking out a whole other day of practice that we won't get paid for doesn't feel right to me.

I feel certain that the parents are not getting a break on tuition for the days the gym is closed. The gym is getting that tuition money, and since practice is cancelled, they aren't paying staff and are coming out (even more) ahead. I say that in hopes that you don't "feel badly" for being paid for working! I've been there!

I feel certain that the parents are not getting a break on tuition for the days the gym is closed. The gym is getting that tuition money, and since practice is cancelled, they aren't paying staff and are coming out (even more) ahead. I say that in hopes that you don't "feel badly" for being paid for working! I've been there!
Gyms keeping tuition money despite cancellations....that is fodder for a whole new thread!!!

And yes, if you stay overnight that is regular time for the first 8 hours and overtime after that.

This actually varies state to state. Some states rule that overtime must be paid beyond 8 hours in a day, and some say that it must only be paid if you go beyond 40 in a week. For example, in some states, you can work "4 x 10s" or "3 x 12s" and your employer would not be required to pay you overtime.

Reactions: sce
Gyms keeping tuition money despite cancellations....that is fodder for a whole new thread!!!

I know our gym charges the same each month. but some months have 5 weeks, and some have 4. And if they have to cancel, and that month has 3, it is balanced out by ones that have 5. Does this make sense??

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back