Question about dowel grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I'm a gymnast and would like to know what level do you start using dowel grips? Would it be okay to start using them in level 5? Please let me know your opinions!

I don't think they're really necessary at level 5, but I see no compelling reason against using them if you want to.

I wouldn't start using them mid-season, though; I'd wait until the season is over, then start using them; that way you have more time to get used to them.

my dd's coach has my dd and the rest of pre-team using dowel grips and they are only training to make the level 5 team... The girls spend about 45 minutes 2 x per week on the bars. I guess it depends on the preference of the coach and/or gymnast.

Definitely coaches preference. At our gym some girls use them and some do not, in about levels 5 through 8. Our coach doesn't mind as long as the girls don't mess around with them constantly.

I was at the Gynix International this weekend and some Moms from Omega Gym club were seated next to me. They said at their club, fantastic elite level gym in Vancouver, Canada, nobody wears grips. They have Russian coaches who just do not think they are needed. Their gymnasts are great bar workers, and obviously aren't struggling without grips.

It really makes me wonder when I see the Chinese, Russian and Romanian girls do fabulous bars without grips. The amount of time breaking in, getting used to and adjusting grips seems a lot of time wasted.

My girls do not wear grips and I am not sure what I think about it. Oldest has tried them, but seems to like it without better. Hands seems to rip with or without grips, I have been focussing more on the skin condition this year and we have had no real rips. My girls ice any red or blistered bits, then we apply really good moisturizer and sleep in cotton gloves. In the bath they rub off the callouses a bit so there is less to rip off on the bars. This has worked well up to now.

Of course many girls just want to have grips, 'cos they look cool, which is fine if your coach agrees.:D But, I still remember the girl at DD's last comp who forgot her grips, her normally fabulous bars were a mess.

The moral of the story is, you can forget your grips for the big meet, but you cannot forget your HANDS!!!

Dd's coaches are Russian and they never had to wear grips when they competed.. they did say that the US is really the only country that does wear them. To them it is very important to have them, not just to protect from rips but to protect the wrists and hands somehow - they insist on the girls wearing them - that is just what they say... I forgot dd's grips the other day and she got 2 rips on her tinny hand - they were not happy w/me at all and let me know.

I say go with it in level 5--get used to them early!!!! That's coming from a gymnast's perspective.

Check with your coach first!!!! L5 is usually a good time but you want to get your coaches opinion. They may not feel you are ready just yet, and it is best to wait until summer to get them broken in before the competitive season.

Hi I'm a gymnast and would like to know what level do you start using dowel grips? Would it be okay to start using them in level 5? Please let me know your opinions!

This is something that would be up to your coach. Ask your coach and ask his/her reasoning. Depending on the gymnast and coaches philosophy, the answer could be yes or no.:confused:

I use mine and I am a level 3 so I say use them now to where them in

I personally think it's a good idea to start using grips, even if not every day, when you're a level 5/6 because that's when you really start swinging. Grips are really weird and can be difficult to get used to. I learned giants without grips, as well as other skills when I was 6 yrs old, and I found it hard to start wearing grips because I was already used to swinging without them. However, it really is up to the coach and the gymnast.

I wish my dd had started wearing them earlier so she would be used to them:eek: .She will be starting level 5 and started working on kips last week and ended up with some pretty good rips:eek: so the coach had me order her some US Glove dowel grips.I ordered them from here and received them the other day.:cool: BTW JBS great service!!!!

I wish my dd had started wearing them earlier so she would be used to them:eek: .She will be starting level 5 and started working on kips last week and ended up with some pretty good rips:eek: so the coach had me order her some US Glove dowel grips.I ordered them from here and received them the other day.:cool: BTW JBS great service!!!!

Thanks...we try...and we're always getting better.:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back