WAG YouTube/instagram fame and NCAA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I watched her "AcroAnnie" channel when she was little and her mom filmed her doing giants in their house on this little bar at age 6....I thought she was amazing and would have thought she would be a better bar worker now based on that video. It just goes to show you that just because you are a tiny phenom doesn't mean that you will always be a phenom. :)

Well, you still have to put in the work. This kid is always out of the gym for some event or other. Also started missing half a days practice to catch up on schoolwork, again due to so much travel and other stuff. (Weekly live.ly etc)

I watched her "AcroAnnie" channel when she was little and her mom filmed her doing giants in their house on this little bar at age 6....I thought she was amazing and would have thought she would be a better bar worker now based on that video. It just goes to show you that just because you are a tiny phenom doesn't mean that you will always be a phenom. :)
Yes but doing bars in your home at 6 most of the time equals very bad habits that are hard to break.

Not necessarily a response to her game as much as being easily impressed by higher level gymnastics. People who watch my sons videos say that he must be going to the Olympics. He's not famous and he he's not super impressive, but to the untrained eye ...

I think that is part of why these kids become famous. Less than knowledgeable people become impressed by them and share with others. It grows from there.
I agree- People ask my son if he's going to be in the Olympics and he hates that question. At this time he has no desire to be in the Olympics and isn't sure he wants to compete in college....he just likes to learn and do gymnastics. :)

OK, I don't watch many of her videos; but my younger DD does watch some I guess because they now come up suggested for me (my kids use my youtube account, so I start getting recommendations from what they watch - minecraft, shopkins, gymnastics...). I was pulled in by the one with Whitney's toe injury. I really don't think that how she is doing this year is likely any indication of her abilities considering what is going on with her toe. It looks SOOOO painful to me. I'm impressed that she is even doing beam at this point, much less scoring remotely decent scores.

Yikes...I'm afraid to ask what happened to her toe!! :eek:

I guess from the pressure on it from turns and stuff that over time one of her toes (I think the middle one) started to split where the toe meets the foot. And it got deeper and deeper. It is SOOOO deep (or at least was). She had to go have it debrieded a couple of times I guess. And it has to be kind of taped and splinted to be held back to her foot so that it will hopefully stop splitting. Seriously, it looks incredibly painful.

Yikes...I'm afraid to ask what happened to her toe!! :eek:
I had a terrible problem with that as a gymnast and was always having to clean blood off the beams. Never as deep as hers, though. I had the same video recommended and was impressed at how deep it was. That's going to take a long time away form turns to heal.

Hm, not sure that was Annie. I think you're thinking of a little girl who was very good but had to quit due to an injury pretty young (not posting her full name because she isn't really out there, but she was from NY).

Here's a video of Annie at 6. I think she is very good for 6, and adorable. Not quite Giants (not that anyone would expect that):

Also, I think this is the little girl you're thinking of. Apparently her channel is still up. Her first name is Rachel but she no longer does gymnastics.

Also, I think this is the little girl you're thinking of. Apparently her channel is still up. Her first name is Rachel but she no longer does gymnastics.

Now I just lost 20 mins going down the rabbit hole of that kid's early career. :D The mom says she didn't quit due to injury, and now I'm curious about what happened. Wonder if she just burned out after so much early attention and intense training?

Now I just lost 20 mins going down the rabbit hole of that kid's early career. :D The mom says she didn't quit due to injury, and now I'm curious about what happened. Wonder if she just burned out after so much early attention and intense training?
No...my kid actually found this little girl a few years ago, and in the comments it is more explained. I won't comment on people's comments though other than to comment that it was in the comments.:)

Oh, hm, I guess I just assumed it was an injury. Oh, maybe it was financial. I just used to follow her videos from time to time but I vaguely recall it was something other than the child wanting to quit or burning out (according to the mom's comments anyway). Hadn't thought of her in years until the post about a 6 year old doing giants at home and then it popped into my head - point taken though about the brightest stars, but then again I think she probably would have been pretty good today if she continued.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back