WAG YouTube/instagram fame and NCAA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This thread is the exact reason why most people don't want their child on youtube. I would be horrified to find a big discussion by people I don't know about my child.

Absolutely. I'm so paranoid I won't post pictures of my kids in my FB profile, and I check my privacy settings every few months to make sure everything is still locked down to only my friends. Aside from not wanting to invite strangers to discuss my child online, I'd be concerned about the lunatics out there who might develop an unhealthy interest in my child if I posted a bunch of videos with identifying info.

This thread is the exact reason why most people don't want their child on youtube. I would be horrified to find a big discussion by people I don't know about my child.

Well, I'm sure a big component of it is that many of those people wish it was THEM that people were having discussions about on YouTube. A little bit of vicarious living don't you think?

I haven't watched these channels (I don't think my dd knows about them, (she might rather watch a kid tell her how to put on makeup or make slime). But it sounds like the parents running these channels would want as many people as possible to watch and talk about their kids. It sound like the parents are acting like their kids are celebrities.

The videos my dd usually watches appear to be totally run by kids so I'm not certain if the parents know about it.

I haven't watched these channels (I don't think my dd knows about them, (she might rather watch a kid tell her how to put on makeup or make slime). But it sounds like the parents running these channels would want as many people as possible to watch and talk about their kids. It sound like the parents are acting like their kids are celebrities.

The videos my dd usually watches appear to be totally run by kids so I'm not certain if the parents know about it.

Brataley makes slime too :D ;)
My kids prefer those awful kids YouTube where it's 10 minutes of focus on someone's hands opening toys....
Most of these kids are so young when their parents begin filming them, that they probably don't remember any life where they weren't followed by cameras and had their lives open for public consumption.

Brataley makes slime too :D ;)
My kids prefer those awful kids YouTube where it's 10 minutes of focus on someone's hands opening toys....
Most of these kids are so young when their parents begin filming them, that they probably don't remember any life where they weren't followed by cameras and had their lives open for public consumption.

Which I believe can lead to an inflated sense of self. It will be interesting to see where these kids land someday.

My daughter makes slime. What a messy activity!

Also, I think this is the little girl you're thinking of. Apparently her channel is still up. Her first name is Rachel but she no longer does gymnastics.

Yup- I got mixed up. She was a great little gymnast but I think she hurt her back and had to quit. I think she dances now....

Hm, not sure that was Annie. I think you're thinking of a little girl who was very good but had to quit due to an injury pretty young (not posting her full name because she isn't really out there, but she was from NY).

Here's a video of Annie at 6. I think she is very good for 6, and adorable. Not quite Giants (not that anyone would expect that):

You are right- I found their channel about the same time and they looked kind of similar so I mixed them up...I made them one person. lol!

Hm, not sure that was Annie. I think you're thinking of a little girl who was very good but had to quit due to an injury pretty young (not posting her full name because she isn't really out there, but she was from NY).

Here's a video of Annie at 6. I think she is very good for 6, and adorable. Not quite Giants (not that anyone would expect that):

It's so sad that her brother died at 13. :(

We have a mom in our gym that posts everything about her gymmie....from pictures of all her Leo's to bent arm home gym skills. She even has a post with her Dd wearing a college shirt doing a gymnastics pose. I have to wonder why she puts these pics of her Dd out there on display. Does she think the college is going to sign up her 8 year old dd because she puts a picture on you tube?

She gets free stuff all the time from companies and brags about it. Even one of the coaches warned her she's headed down a slippery slope but she just laughs it off.

It will be interesting to see what NCAA decides on in the future. I wonder if potential colleges will do a Google search of potential college athletes and make decisions based on what pops up on the screen. I don't know if this woman realizes she could be ruining any chances of a scholarship for her child.

For now, I just think the marketing children thing is creepy and I told her I did not want her to take any pictures of my dd.

I wonder if potential colleges will do a Google search of potential college athletes and make decisions based on what pops up on the screen
I'm sure companies do this when they are looking at applicants. I'm guessing coaches do Google prospective team members.

I'm pretty sure the attention of an entire gymnastics forum is EXACTLY what these families are hoping for .

Not for that mother on Instagram that claimed the gym kicked her out - and deleted any comments leading to the truth. She was unable to moderate this site and remove the posts that defended the gym actions and suggested that the mother was asked to leave not the child. We like attention when we can filter it to be what we want.

My daughter watches Minecraft and Madden Football you tubes. Nerf gun stuff. And those guys who do all the taste testing of foods.

My dd has no interest in these gymnasts either, thankfully. Her response was "why would I want to watch other kids doing gymnastics?" She likes to watch Simone, Aly, et al, but that's about it. I have to force her to watch college gym with me, lol. Plus, she is a pretty solid 9 yo lv 6, she does not want to watch a 9 yo lv 9 doing home gymnastics on all the things she does not have; may be a little off-putting??

Anyway, YouTube is usually reserved for silly videos and Corgis when she finds the time. I'm the one looking at these gymmies, mostly out of sheer curiosity and head scratching:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back