WAG Stacking teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dbean

Proud Parent
First...glad states is over..yay!

But curious. Located in in NC. Two teams pretty much swept the podium during the level 6 meet. During floor one of the mums from one of these gyms was upset her daughter received a 9.6 on floor, saying it should have been high since her daughter is a up training level 10. At first wasn't sure I heard right but as the conversation carried on it was confirmed.

I know there are no rules for forced move ups but with 38s and high 37s all season and at states, while competing level 7 skills...why don't gyms move their girls up and give girls who are meant to be in the level at chance?

We are in your region and yes it happens all of the time. ALL the time. Last year a team we competed against (silver) had their whole team repeating despite the fact that they all scored 37's and 38's the year before and were state champions with several girls on the state team at regioanls as well. There was a lot of talk at every meet we went to with them from parents from all different teams were upset about it. Of course they dominated their second year of silver even more than they did the first year, scoring mid 38's at the beginning of the season and some of the same girls made the state team again. We've also been to some meets this year for L6 with teams competing ALL L7 routines across all four events (series on beam, giants on bars, layouts, connected front passes on floor.) No idea why they weren't competing L7 since they clearly had L7 skills on all events. I understand repeating or competing down if there are a lack of skills for the next level (sometimes skills may be lacking even for just one event and that's enough to hold them back), fear/confidence issues on one or more apparatus, even injury. But sometimes there is just no good explanation and it's truly sandbagging.

Hmmm. If I am right about the gym, I'm pretty sure the child to which you are referring began the season as a L4. I don't think she can move up any faster than she already is. Also, I'd take with a grain of salt what parents say about what levels their kids are "uptraining." Some of our L7 girls can do an individual pass that would work for L10 because they are really good at front tumbling.

Hmmm. If I am right about the gym, I'm pretty sure the child to which you are referring began the season as a L4. I don't think she can move up any faster than she already is. Also, I'd take with a grain of salt what parents say about what levels their kids are "uptraining." Some of our L7 girls can do an individual pass that would work for L10 because they are really good at front tumbling.
Not sure if same girl but several girls competed level 7 skills. Doesnt appear they repeated levels but from looking at meet score, does not look like they skipped or moved up level mid-season either, so probaly not the same girl. One did compete a level 7 meet just before states but them competed level 6 states.

The issue comes in at what qualifies a gymnast as 'meant to be' in a particular level. The interpretation is left up to the coaches and the gym.
There is a lot of truth to this and I understand a gymnast can rock 3 events and struggle on another or is struggling to gain a skill to move up or even improved over the season. I also know one great meet does not mean a girl is ready for her next adventure but there is truth in saying that some gyms stack for placements and medals.

Relax, yes there is sandbagging but it also could be a case of the kid just did a double back from the tumble track into the pit which is 4 ft drop off.

Southeastern appears to be the strongest gym looking at the results and from clicking on high scoring individuals it would appear that many (over all optional levels) are competing in the youngest age division and have not repeated levels.

Why should a young gymnast be pushed forward based on skill level along simply because they receive great skill coaching - albeit in high volume most likely. Maturity is also a big factor, and personally I hate see ultra talented kids pushed forwards because they can cope physically but not mentally and never getting to experience the joy and confidence of winning that they should be capable of. I would be more critical of this if the gym had girls peaking at a lower level but that is not the case. It just looks like a very good gym to myself.

Relax, yes there is sandbagging but it also could be a case of the kid just did a double back from the tumble track into the pit which is 4 ft drop off.

Southeastern appears to be the strongest gym looking at the results and from clicking on high scoring individuals it would appear that many (over all optional levels) are competing in the youngest age division and have not repeated levels.

Why should a young gymnast be pushed forward based on skill level along simply because they receive great skill coaching - albeit in high volume most likely. Maturity is also a big factor, and personally I hate see ultra talented kids pushed forwards because they can cope physically but not mentally and never getting to experience the joy and confidence of winning that they should be capable of. I would be more critical of this if the gym had girls peaking at a lower level but that is not the case. It just looks like a very good gym to myself.
Didnt know i wasnt relaxed. Personally feeling pretty relaxed..but will try harder

I know there are no rules for forced move ups but with 38s and high 37s all season
As you may know, Puma Jr recently switched to USAIGC so I have been researching and learning about it ad nauseum. Lol. I kind of like that they have a mandatory move up if a kid gets a 38. Even if a kid dominates three events, that 4th event is certainly not struggling too badly if they can still get a 38. And they have another cool rule specifically for the Bronze division (kind of L4/5ish? Some L6 skills allowed) where if a kid scores two 35.8s in the regular season they compete they rest of the season , including States/Regionals/Worlds (and yes I think it's a bit much to call it "Worlds" lol), at "Bronze Diamond" which is the exact same rules as Bronze, but a different group for awards. I know JO and USAIGC are very different and have different goals, but I would like to see JO at least consider something like these. I know gymnastics will never be fair, but I think some reducing of sandbagging might not be a bad idea.

There is no such thing as "level 7 skills". All "A" and "B" skills are allowed at both level 6 and level 7. The special requirements are different, but there is no scoring advantage to competing a routine that meets the special requirements of level 7 at a level 6 competition. The only scoring advantage would come from competing the skills with better execution - casts to complete handstand, circling skills on bars to complete handstand, tumbling with more amplitude, splits to full 180, etc. - and this advantage is available to all, regardless if they are competing a routine that meets the minimum requirements or competing the maximum skill level allowed and regardless of what higher level skills they may be "uptraining" in the gym.

As you may know, Puma Jr recently switched to USAIGC so I have been researching and learning about it ad nauseum. Lol. I kind of like that they have a mandatory move up if a kid gets a 38. Even if a kid dominates three events, that 4th event is certainly not struggling too badly if they can still get a 38. And they have another cool rule specifically for the Bronze division (kind of L4/5ish? Some L6 skills allowed) where if a kid scores two 35.8s in the regular season they compete they rest of the season , including States/Regionals/Worlds (and yes I think it's a bit much to call it "Worlds" lol), at "Bronze Diamond" which is the exact same rules as Bronze, but a different group for awards. I know JO and USAIGC are very different and have different goals, but I would like to see JO at least consider something like these. I know gymnastics will never be fair, but I think some reducing of sandbagging might not be a bad idea.
I have followed your posts. That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that info. To be fair I do think most of these girls are moved up year to year.

Parents all of your kids are training for level 10, it starts in level 3. :) That being said a 37 would hardly place in our region. we had over 100 legit 38 (handful of 39 included in that number) at our State meet this weekend. I would love to come to your state meet!

Parents all of your kids are training for level 10, it starts in level 3. :) That being said a 37 would hardly place in our region. we had over 100 legit 38 (handful of 39 included in that number) at our State meet this weekend. I would love to come to your state meet!
Wow and I thought 37s were amazing. Lol

Wow...that is amazing! This sport really is so incredibly competitive. (This is why USAIGC is the perfect place for Puma Jr right now!!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back