Parents Undefeated Season!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Just have to brag up my DD's level 8 team. The girls competed at the state championships on Friday, the team was undefeated going into state and it was their goal to win state (which our gym has never done, gotten 2nd a lot but never 1st, in any level) and they did it!! Beating the second place team by almost 2 points!!! And breaking the gym record for team score! It was an amazing meet. You could just feel the energy coming from the girls and the coaches and parents. Our gym will only send level 8s to regionals if they make the super 8 team (which is made up of the top 9 level 8 gymnasts, regardless of age), 4 of the 9 girls are from our gym (including my DD!!). We are all still on cloud 9. It was such an amazing way to close out what was already an amazing season. Thanks for letting this momma share her glee!!!

That's great, though I think only sending the "super 8" gymnasts to Regionals when they qualify is pretty harsh.
All level 8 girls can qualify to regionals, it's up to each gym whether or not they want to take them. Our gym only takes the level 8 girls if they make the super 8 team. Since they can't qualify for nationals he feels it's just one extra meet and expense that isn't necessary for the girls or the parents.

Reactions: sce
All level 8 girls can qualify to regionals, it's up to each gym whether or not they want to take them. Our gym only takes the level 8 girls if they make the super 8 team. Since they can't qualify for nationals he feels it's just one extra meet and expense that isn't necessary for the girls or the parents.
Yes, I get that. But it would make me sad if my daughter qualified for Regionals but wasn't allowed to go.

Just have to brag up my DD's level 8 team. The girls competed at the state championships on Friday, the team was undefeated going into state and it was their goal to win state (which our gym has never done, gotten 2nd a lot but never 1st, in any level) and they did it!! Beating the second place team by almost 2 points!!! And breaking the gym record for team score! It was an amazing meet. You could just feel the energy coming from the girls and the coaches and parents. Our gym will only send level 8s to regionals if they make the super 8 team (which is made up of the top 9 level 8 gymnasts, regardless of age), 4 of the 9 girls are from our gym (including my DD!!). We are all still on cloud 9. It was such an amazing way to close out what was already an amazing season. Thanks for letting this momma share her glee!!!
congrats!!! to your dd and her team - that's simply amazing!

are you part of region 6??? so your gym won't send them to lvl 8 regionals if they made the all star team?

Yes, I get that. But it would make me sad if my daughter qualified for Regionals but wasn't allowed to go.
We did have some very disappointed girls and parents after the state meet. They knew that even if they qualified that they wouldn't be going to regionals but I think they at least thought they would get the regionals leo, but they only give those out to those that are actually going to compete at regionals. Do all of the other regions do the super 8 team thing or is this just something region 4 does??

I don't understand this perspective versus one that for L8, this IS their nationals.

I don't understand this perspective versus one that for L8, this IS their nationals.
I was thinking the same thing...
I mean, I "almost" get a gym not taking their level 6s to regionals (although I really don't get the gym that's not taking their 8 girls, including one who got over a 38....). But in my view, especially when OP says that there was some disappointment after States, if the parents and girls want to go, I just don't get it :(

And imagine if ALL gyms took that position. There wouldn't BE a level 8 Regionals.

But sorry to have de-railed this post from the OP's original intention. It is super-awesome that she and her teammates are going to be part of the "Super 8" team in her region! I'm sure you're one proud mama! :)

And imagine if ALL gyms took that position. There wouldn't BE a level 8 Regionals.

But sorry to have de-railed this post from the OP's original intention. It is super-awesome that she and her teammates are going to be part of the "Super 8" team in her region! I'm sure you're one proud mama! :)

Yes, definitely - congratulations @FlippinLilysMom!!!! I can't imagine having a kid make the Super 8 team!!!! Awesome!!!

All level 8 girls can qualify to regionals, it's up to each gym whether or not they want to take them. Our gym only takes the level 8 girls if they make the super 8 team.

Our gym is the same. :(

There's some parent speculation that it's because 8s usually compete on Sunday in our region (coaches don't want to stay)... but I've also heard that it's because the 8s don't all compete in the same talent pool, so it's not 'fair'. I get that it probably sucks that a girl scoring high all season may place towards the bottom of the Super 8s may not take any medals, while a girl who had a lower scoring season didn't qualify Super 8 wins a regionals AA. The same isn't true of any other level. In fact, my DD will do L7 regionals with all of her teammates while most of our L8s will stay home from their regionals. :/

That all said, I'll probably wish my DD could compete regionals at L8 if she qualifies some day, especially if she tops out at L8...

I'm in the same state as OP. Several gyms here do not participate in regionals (including some higher ranked ones). I'm glad DD's gym does...I just see it as another opportunity for some out of state competition experience and a nice way to cap a season. Like the above post, the L8s are on Sunday, but I don't know how the meet is structured. If it's like the above post describes, then I could see why gyms would opt not to go.

Reactions: sce
I have to agree with all of the above comments, I would be VERY disappointed and frustrated if my DD had gotten the score required to make it to regionals but was not able to go. For our gym it's been this way for as long as anyone can remember, so the gymnasts know going into state that they won't go to regionals unless they make the super 8 team (I believe that our gym has made an exception when regionals are held in our area, then they will take all the girls that qualify). I also believe that only the levels 8-10 can qualify to regionals, can the lower levels qualify for regionals in other regions?? And yes, 3 of the 4 girls that made the super 8 team from our gym are part of the elite training group, but the girls haven't competed any elite meets yet or really even started training elite. The elite training will start full force this summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back