MAG Men's Competition Program Update #3 Published

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Low-Bar

Proud Parent
For those with JE boys competing at Nationals, there is a very important Age Group Competition Update #3 on the USAG website. Bottom Line Up Front: No stick bonuses for easy dismounts and graduated bonuses for harder bonuses.

It appears that all levels (8,9,10) are affected based on the easy to read chart in the update, though I suspect it has the biggest impact on L8s where boys were receiving stick dismounts for "A" dismounts -- which now won't happen for JE's at Nationals in May. I understand the logic in wanting to differentiate the wide variance in skill required to do a basic TS HB dismount and kids doing a double-full laid out. Looking to separate the national team candidates amongst all the great gymnasts is understandable. My only beef is that they couldn't have seen this coming when they looked at L8 special rules at the beginning of the year. Plenty of kids could have been working these higher level dismounts, whether they competed them or not, throughout the season. It will be pretty tough for many to add these in just 4 weeks... in fact that may not be safe, especially for those 11's, many of whom were 10 for most of season and jumped from L6 last year. Home office is sneaky, much like the Junior National Team selection this year for Junior team that allows committee to pick some of the members.

Well, hopefully they have been training higher level dismounts already. I know my L9 ds (JO) has been training his C dismounts, but not competing them yet, so that he will be ready for 10. My guess is, those in JE are already working those, and hopefully can get them ready.

Doess't effect me,a s my kids is not going to nationals, but I find it annoying that they made changes at this point int he season. The January update clearly stated that the next update would be after the season. I hope this does not lead t boys trying skills they are not truly ready to compete.

Totally agree... this is really late to force kids to change their routines & increase difficulty.

I can see the forced part, but I have to say that this is happening. kids are increasing difficulty. And I am guessing most of the JE kids have a harder dismount in the hip pocket...they just have to get it out and dust it off...

Reactions: sce
I can see the forced part, but I have to say that this is happening. kids are increasing difficulty. And I am guessing most of the JE kids have a harder dismount in the hip pocket...they just have to get it out and dust it off...
I feel it is most rough on those 11yo level 8s. Since they had to do JE, many may not have the harder dismounts yet and shouldn't feel forced to try to add difficulty too quickly.

Interesting how quickly that went down. I agree with the objective, but questioned the timing. I don't think it will make that big a difference in scoring overall, but surely would have been the difference in a few close rankings for HB, PB, FX, and SR top 6 awards. My DS who was 8/11 last year and 8/12 this year was always complaining that the scoring this year didn't incentivize all the work he'd done to upgrade his dismounts, but it looks like it will pay off next year. I keep preaching about the long view in this sport, but really tough for the kids to see that when it's their name, rep and ego being flashed next to a number. Character building sport, indeed.

Poor timing, yes. But this was aimed directly to JE, right? I believe even a simple layout dismount has a B score according to my kid (not too keen on scoring in general, so maybe way wrong), but I can't remember seeing any JE routines at regionals with any dismounts that looked "simple", so not sure if the update would've really mattered. Sure, the tenths of a point could have a play in final placing, but it's not like everybody isn't on the same playing field anyway.

I am trying to pull up my code of points, but I think a layout is an a. Double back tucked is a b. To get a C, it has to be a double layout or twisting double back.

ROFL. Pretty sure he is planning a double layout. or some full twisting double...who knows...I am not watching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back